2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Garrofon de Valencia

Garrofon de Valencia.jpg

The seeds in my sample are not very shapely. They should all look like the ones on the left.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
New bean came in the mail today 'Gaia', an organic soybean variety that originated in Canada (@2010) as a cross between a black soybean and an edamame variety. It stabilized right away, and is somewhat of a rarity in the sense that soybeans don't often cross. For some reason, they remind me of Cookie Monster.

20210312_181432_resized.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A few more new-to-me beans that arrived in the mail in the last while...they were so pretty I couldn't help but snap a few. Thank goodness we're having an early spring!

20210312_184949_resized.jpg
20210312_185837_resized.jpg

'1500 Year Old Cave Bean'

20210312_191907_resized.jpg
20210312_191202_resized.jpg

'Piekny Jas' - (I tried to capture just how HUGE this bean is)

20210312_193229_resized.jpg

'Passage to India' (can't really tell from the photo, but seeds are SO tiny)

20210312_201604_resized.jpg
20210312_201801_resized.jpg

'Mazeppa'

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
This past week I've been conducting my annual seed germination tests on 208 bean varieties. Of course done like we all know how to do them. Bean seed wrapped in moistened paper towels placed in quart size ziploc baggies with the closure end left open. I got some of the varieties done on Saturday March 6th. The remainder of the wraps I got finished by Sunday evening March 7. I usually test 10 seeds, but this year I decided that if I would up the quantity. The test is probably a bit more accurate the more seed you test. So I increased the amount of seed to 15 for average sized beans and 20 and sometimes up to 30 for varieties that have smaller seed. I moistened the wrap with a spray bottle so I don't get things to overly wet although I did moisten the wrap more allowing for more seed. The wraps were moistend fairly liberaly. Wednesday I decided to check one of them and the paper towel wrap seemed a little on the dry side so one by one I removed each wrap and moistend them all again. I can see sprouts from beans pushing up against the walls of the baggies. Monday I will do the main check for germination percentage. When I get the germination percentage tabulated for all the varieties from all the years I'm testing. I will post the results here. Today I took photos of all the baggies layed out all over my living room and dinning room table.

Germination Test 2021 Photo-1.jpg
This is the south wall of the living room/dinning room.

Germination Test 2021 Photo-2.jpg
Living room in front of the entertaintment center and couch.

Germination Test 2021 Photo-3.jpg
The top of the dinning room table

Germination Test 2021 Photo-4.jpg
Along the stub wall that separates the dinning room & kitchen

Last edited:

Myrthryn

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
In south-eastern Poland, in regions where Piękny Jaś is grown, even firewater is made of it. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.:)

I found such a joke.

View attachment 39604

In translate:
C3PO: Where are we?
R2D2: In Podlasie... (region in eastern Poland)
...One week later
I didn't realize there was a vodka made from beans..
Looking here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vodkas beans aren't listed. And strangely enough, there's one made from horseradish! I wonder how that tastes!

Myrthryn

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This past week I've been conducting my annual seed germination tests on 208 bean varieties. Of course done like we all know how to do them. Bean seed wrapped in moistened paper towels placed in quart size ziploc baggies with the closure end left open. I got some of the varieties done on Saturday March 6th. The remainder of the wraps I got finished by Sunday evening March 7. I usually test 10 seeds, but this year I decided that if I would up the quantity. The test is probably a bit more accurate the more seed you test. So I increased the amount of seed to 15 for average sized beans and 20 and sometimes up to 30 for varieties that have smaller seed. I moistened the wrap with a spray bottle so I don't get things to overly wet although I did moisten the wrap more allowing for more seed. The wraps were moistend fairly liberaly. Wednesday I decided to check one of them and the paper towel wrap seemed a little on the dry side so one by one I removed each wrap and moistend them all again. I can see sprouts from beans pushing up against the walls of the baggies. Monday I will do the main check for germination percentage. When I get the germination percentage tabulated for all the varieties from all the years I'm testing. I will post the results here. Today I took photos of all the baggies layed out all over my living room and dinning room table. Thought I would post those photos today.

View attachment 39605
This is the south wall of the living room/dinning room.

View attachment 39606
Living room in front of the entertaintment center and couch.

View attachment 39607
The top of the dinning room table

View attachment 39608
Along the stub wall that separates the dinning room & kitchen
Obviously there is no cat in that house to stir things up! Getting anxious to start my beans. Gonna make seed tape with toilet paper to easily space the limited quantities I've got.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't realize there was a vodka made from beans..
Looking here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vodkas beans aren't listed. And strangely enough, there's one made from horseradish! I wonder how that tastes!
@Myrthryn
Vodka from Piękny Jaś is not on the list on your link because it is not produced by large companies. In Poland, it is entered on the government's list of traditional regional products. This is the link to the official website of the Polish Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. This part is not in English, but a translator can be used. Of course, if someone is interested in such curiosities.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Myrthryn
Vodka from Piękny Jaś is not on the list on your link because it is not produced by large companies. In Poland, it is entered on the government's list of traditional regional products. This is the link to the official website of the Polish Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. This part is not in English, but a translator can be used. Of course, if someone is interested in such curiosities.

Well, the beans are very potato-like... but it seems like a waste to use good beans that way.

Latest posts