2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 Happy news...I think that one of the pole beans listed on your Bean Collectors Window is being sold by a very nice Canadian seed company, it's listed as 'Coral' dry pole. It's a really beautiful photo they've posted, showing a large harvest of the beans with some having slightly different tones. They have listed another one called 'Harmony'...perhaps more infamous beans in your future....

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I think that one of your pole beans is being sold by a Canadian seed company, it's listed as 'Coral' dry pole. Looks very much like the one on your site. It's a really beautiful photo they've posted, showing a large harvest of the beans with some having slightly different tones. They have listed another one called 'Harmony', which I thought was one of your originals also, but I couldn't find it on your list, so I could be wrong about that one.

i would not assume that beans that look alike came from the same source.

why?

because in my years of growing beans here certain patterns have shown up as out-crosses and they are similar to ones that i've seen being sold by other seed companies, but i know that they've come from only seeds i've grown here and those sources are all known. some of these out-crosses were from back before i ever started TLEBN growouts and even before i'd gotten beans ordered from a seed company.

without having a way to genetically sequence all the beans i have now there's no way i could figure out their exact parentage. between all the out-crosses and many other beans i've been growing i can only guess.

still it's fun. i'll keep doing it. :)

the first two kinds of beans i grew were some wax beans and some green beans. the package of green beans i think was a Blue Lake (to be sure i'd have to dig out that seed package i still have it) type and the wax beans were called Top Notch.

the first year i grew them i had some off-type show up so that wasn't from anything i did (in the green beans) - it could have been an out-cross or reversion to parent trait bean. the second year i had an out-cross show up in them which was an easier to shell green bean and i thought that was great. i still have some samples someplace of those, i don't think i've grown them so they may not be viable any longer.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I think that one of your pole beans is being sold by a Canadian seed company, it's listed as 'Coral' dry pole. Looks very much like the one on your site. It's a really beautiful photo they've posted, showing a large harvest of the beans with some having slightly different tones. They have listed another one called 'Harmony'...perhaps more infamous beans in the future....

What seed company might that be that might be selling one of my named beans?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Secret Garden, or my Secret Garden
That is one of my Canadian network growers. They got 12 seeds for grow out in 2020. If they had a really good season in 2020 they might have 5 pounds of seed. I don't know if the bean can quite be counted on yet to be stable. Do you have a link for that? I can't seem to find a link on Google that takes me to what you must be looking at.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is one of my Canadian network growers. They got 12 seeds for grow out in 2020. If they had a really good season in 2020 they might have 5 pounds of seed. I don't know if the bean can quite be counted on yet to be stable. Do you have a link for that? I can't seem to find a link on Google that takes me to what you must be looking at.
As soon as my son is off his Chrome book this afternoon, I'll send a link to the site, I'm not sure how to do it on a Tablet which I'm using right now.....wait 'til you see how pretty her photo is!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found it by Googling The Secret Garden. They are on Instagram also. They sell a lot of different beans that they have acquired from me in the last few years. I can tell you this. When they do a seed return in the autumn they are one of grows that turn in really nice quality seed. Some growers send in seed that is shriveled and sunken in in places. Split seed coats, terribly stained seed and very small in size. I wind up weeding all that out. Those seeds go into my bean soup pots.

They have another of the Will Bonsall beans that I named called "Harmony". That bean is probably stable.

They have a cut flower business too. They have 4 children that they home school. They also do a lot of grain farming. Acres and acres of land they till. Busy household. We email back and forth. They are very friendly and fun to converse with on email.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All those bean pics she posted are quite beautiful, very artfully captured.
I found it by Googling The Secret Garden. They are on Instagram also. They sell a lot of different beans that they have acquired from me in the last few years. I can tell you this. When they do a seed return in the autumn they are one of grows that turn in really nice quality seed. Some growere send in seed that is shriveled and sunken in in places. Split seed coats, terribly stained seed and very small in size. I wind up weeding all that out. Those seeds go into my bean soup pots.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
here is the link to the site:

The Secret Garden​

and now that we know that @Bluejay77 did send them some seed that would be a good reason to say that they are the same. haha! sorry, i just thought you were trying to say that they were doing something shady there and not giving Russ some credit, but since these are heirloom beans i guess they can grow and pass them along as they wish, but to me it seems fitting they'd give credit to their source.

Latest posts