2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would leave them where they grow. If the growth taper is not damaged, I think they will be fine. If the rain tapped the soil too much, I would move it gently around the plants. Last year, the lower leaves of my beans were heavily punctured by hail. The plants didn't grow for a while, but I think it was more due to the thermal shock.

Haha, Zeedman overtook me. :thumbsup

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, the most I would have done would be to put a new seed in that area as a back-up in case the plant looked too stunted, then made a decision to snip off one of them. For many of mine I've learned than an early start is important to production due to our summers. Some of mine do OK in our summers but some don't and it is a new segregation.

That soil is mostly sand and compost, very little clay, so it is very loose. I don't have to worry about it compacting.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year I also had the Tennessee Greasy Mix bean.
I sowed seeds in such colors...

Tennessee Greasy Mix.jpg

...and I have harvested such as these:

black glossy (l) and black matt (r)
Tennessee Greasy Mix 1.jpg

gray spotted (l) and beige spotted (r)
Tennessee Greasy Mix 2.jpg

gray with black swirls
Tennessee Greasy Mix 3.jpg

brown glossy oblong (l) and brown matt more barrel-shaped (r)
Tennessee Greasy Mix 4.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner looks ok to me. i've had beans shredded down to just plain stalks and they recover faster than if i were to replant with new seeds. remember all those roots are down there already and those take time to develop. leaves are not a huge amount of material to replace as long as the growing nodes are still viable.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I just went searching your posts from last year to find the one which mentions your methods for setting up your bean gardens. I finally found the description of your wooden poles, and the spacing between them of 4 ft. I'd like to create that same setup in my garden for my network pole beans. I'm wondering if you think that 4 ft between the poles is a minimum, or could they be spaced a bit closer, say 3ft, or even 2 1/2 ft? I'm not sure if your spacing between the rows is the same, and if the spacing between pole rows is to be able to till between the rows? I'm beginning the process of calculating what I'll need in terms of lumber based on spacing distances; it was three beans per pole right? I also have four very large wire trellis frames that I'll plant pole beans on; what suggestion might you give for poles grown along a row like that......

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not yet @baymule! But I'm very curious to try it...if it grows in size as p. Vulgaris beans do when cooked, they must become as big as mini-potatoes. This is just the seed sample I received this year. It's the biggest bean I've ever seen o_O
haha, you'll have to eat them with a fork and steak knife!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I also had the Tennessee Greasy Mix bean.
I sowed seeds in such colors...

View attachment 39725

...and I have harvested such as these:

black glossy (l) and black matt (r)
View attachment 39728

gray spotted (l) and beige spotted (r)
View attachment 39729

gray with black swirls
View attachment 39730

brown glossy oblong (l) and brown matt more barrel-shaped (r)
View attachment 39731
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Tennessee Greasy Mix is highly promiscuous, and will have a greater incidence of crossing.

Latest posts