2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A miracle has happened, and I have figured out how how to 'attach files'...:fl

So, here are some pictures from this summer's selections. I'm super happy about the turnout because we had an unusually early and very, very wet fall. I lost some to rot, but not as much as I thought I might. The bean profile picture I inserted above 'heirloomgal' is Black Canterbury Dwarf. This bean was only beginning to produce it's green beans when all the others were gone to seed. I thought for certain no seeds would be harvested. So, I was amazed when the first frost hit that there was so many seeds fully mature. I collected a full jam jar from one row. I kinda consider it my 'good fortune bean' now.

20201121_190654_resized.jpg

Kabarika Bush Bean

20201121_185247_resized_1.jpg

Jumbo Roma

20201121_194453_resized.jpg

Low's Champion

20201121_201831_resized.jpg

Soisson Vert

20201121_224113_resized.jpg

Sadie's Horse Bean

20201121_223031_resized.jpg

Sadie's Horse Bean (comes in several coat patterns)

Will continue photos after I double check the images are coming up correctly, many tabs are appearing on my lower screen that I can't remove, not sure if this is correct....

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@heirloomgal,

Really quality seeds in your photos. No oddly shapped, or shriveled sunken in places on the seeds. All well filled out and very uniform looking in size too. Very nice you know how to grow quality seed.

Amazing all the different fabric patterns you have to use as a background for the beans.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
well i was so jealous of seeing some nice pictures posted i figured i should try to see if i could get a picture today:

this is a child of Pheasant so for the moment i'm just calling it Spotted Pheasant Child. don't know yet if it is stable or not. will know in a couple years. :)

the spotted pattern likely came from Yellow Eye (aka Molasses Face) selections of spotted beans i've been planting for years. Pheasant may have came from a cross from Top Notch and something else.

i did play some with the colors in this image. just messing around and trying something out to see how it worked. the result is an image which really brings out the patterns and shades in this bean that you would not see looking at it without really having some magnification. luckily the camera picked it up an then the program allowed me to enhance it. if i posted the regular version it would be more accurate to what you'd see holding it in your hand, but not as dramatic. :) so is that cheating? yes! :) i'll admit it. :) i need to edit my bean page on the website though to reflect that i've played with this image, my current setup is a bit broken so it will not get updated immediately on the website until my next upload (which i dunno when i'll be doing ... ).

the first picture is the thumbnail and the 2nd is the larger version for those who want to look closer.

DSC_20210124_135438-0500_758_Pheasant_Child_Spotted_thm.jpg

DSC_20210124_135438-0500_758_Pheasant_Child_Spotted.jpg

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Really quality seeds in your photos. No oddly shapped, or shriveled sunken in places on the seeds. All well filled out and very uniform looking in size too. Very nice you know how to grow quality seed.

Amazing all the different fabric patterns you have to use as a background for the beans.

Thank you! I've had really excellent luck with beans in my garden, despite the mistakes I've made over the years with spacing and locations, and sometimes too little watering in the early years. The Jacob's Cattle Gold I posted was the lowest quality beans I harvested his year, because I grew them in a highly raised 3X3 container and it was hard to keep up with the water and high temperatures. So they suffered constantly from dryness no matter how hard I tried. Yet, I grew those Sadie's Horse Beans and the Heritage Dore beans in the sandiest soil in my yard, very sandy, and I'm surprised that they really don't show it. And Sadie's is a giant bean, the biggest I've ever seen. The soil in that area was so dry all the time. Makes me wonder if, when it comes to shrivelling, there is a factor in there besides just insufficient hydration?

I hope I'm using the 'quote' function properly.....I might make a few mistakes before I get good at this ;)

Latest posts