2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
is it a grafted tree?

And more good news. I was just outside, and the grass peas have flowers now (one in each pot). So far my theory of bringing back flower color by planting darker seed seems to be working out, as both flowers are the wild blue shade (of course, this is from a different source than when I used the Italian material, so it could be that all of it is blue flowered regardless of seed color. Guess future flowers will have to tell.
More flowers, and I have variation! Some of them are a nice bicolor (white standard, blue keel, with a small pink patch on the standard). In all probability, had I planted random, I would have gotten pure white in prevalence. Makes me wonder what colors I'll get from the super dark seed next year and what color the little brown ones are (which I will get as soon as it is safe to return to the city and pick up more bags.)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
'Krasnoarmejscaja'
Is this the soybean that originates in eastern Europe? I ordered one this year that had a name much like this (the description blurb noted that it wins the contest for longest known soybean name). I was disappointed to see when my order arrived that it had been replaced by Manitoba Brown and Grand Forks, as they had run out by the time they filled my order. :confused:

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal

Yea!!!! Here’s wishing you a successful bean crop. We’ve had over 9” of rain in the last couple of weeks. Water is standing everywhere. Had to put on rubber boots to gather squash which is producing like crazy! It’s going to be a mess when I’m finally able to clean up the area of weeds.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal

Yea!!!! Here’s wishing you a successful bean crop. We’ve had over 9” of rain in the last couple of weeks. Water is standing everywhere. Had to put on rubber boots to gather squash which is producing like crazy! It’s going to be a mess when I’m finally able to clean up the area of weeds.
So sorry to hear that! Last night we had our first real crazy down pour, where I filled three rain barrels (and could have filled many more), and all my bean plants in starter pots were totally saturated. :confused: I was so happy when the sun came out a few hours later, and helped to dry things up a bit. Not easy to garden in wet dirt, especially with clay in there. Slippery!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My first real attempt at bean starts in pots, and happy to say it has been mostly successful. Much more so than the few I tried last year. I do find it tricky to keep the soil moisture level just right, that starter mix for seedlings holds water way too well for beans.

20210525_201247_resized.jpg
20210525_201136_resized.jpg

I fussed over those pots like a mother hen, worried what was going on under there - sprouting..or not sprouting. About 95% of what I planted sprouted without problems, seems that the older the bean the longer it takes to germinate. Here is a picture of 'relief' for me in the last week at each pot checking session-

20210525_201840_resized.jpg

Some fava beans, nice to have a bean that can be planted so early and not be worried about in cold weather.
20210525_202954_resized.jpg

20210525_202922_resized.jpg

Thinking of doing a little experiment with the height of the poles. Maybe some I will leave quite tall like this (about 10 feet), and see if it grows more beans as a result. Anyone know if that might delay maturity?
20210525_203024_resized.jpg

@Artorius
Here is the strange colour I mentioned -
20210525_201209_resized.jpg

I'm tempted to plant it in ground and see if it picks up, it looks either like a chartreuse mutation or lacking in nutrition. I haven't given it any fish emulsion yet, I think I'll wait to feed it to see what might happen.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is this the soybean that originates in eastern Europe? I ordered one this year that had a name much like this (the description blurb noted that it wins the contest for longest known soybean name). I was disappointed to see when my order arrived that it had been replaced by Manitoba Brown and Grand Forks, as they had run out by the time they filled my order. :confused:
Krasnoarmejscaja was collected in Russia; and while that may be the longest single worded name, it is not even close to the longest in total. Aan Tu Bai Hua Lu Da Dou is longer, and Kharkovskaya Zernokormovaya (from Ukraine) is the winner by far. ;)

Sorry to hear you didn't get the soybean you ordered, @heirloomgal . I don't know what variety that might have been... maybe Fledderjohn? Ironically, you received by accident one of the few soybean varieties I am still seeking (Grand Forks).

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
And more good news. I was just outside, and the grass peas have flowers now (one in each pot). So far my theory of bringing back flower color by planting darker seed seems to be working out, as both flowers are the wild blue shade (of course, this is from a different source than when I used the Italian material, so it could be that all of it is blue flowered regardless of seed color. Guess future flowers will have to tell.
I didn't know what a grass pea was... but upon further research, discovered that I am growing it this year under a different name. The seed given to me was called "Sicilian Cicerchia" (but helpfully, also had Lathyrus sativus on the label). Never having grown this, I'm curious what growth habit I should expect? Photos on the Web mostly focused on the flowers, pods, and seeds. Do the plants require support?

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't know what a grass pea was... but upon further research, discovered that I am growing it this year under a different name. The seed given to me was called "Italian Cicerchia" (but helpfully, also had Lathyrus sativus on the label). Never having grown this, I'm curious what growth habit I should expect? Photos on the Web mostly focused on the flowers, pods, and seeds. Do the plants require support?

here is what my search came up with:

"
https://www.feedipedia.org/node/285
Grass pea has a variable habit and can be trailing or climbing. It is many-branched with slender stems up to 60 cm in height. It has a deep and strong taproot. The leaves are pinnate, opposite, encompassing 2 pairs of leaflets and a terminal tendril.
"

which unfortunately doesn't really answer your question exactly as you would wish. and no, i'm not an elf, but whoever wrote that was... :)

Latest posts