2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted the Largest of my offsites June 1, 2021 3 miles from my house. It is so dry here I don't know if anything is going to grow. I will probably need to water daily. 118 varieties and 10 varieties of semi runners. Looks almost just like 2019. 93 degrees here today June 4, 2021.

Pheasant Lane Planted June 1, 2021.jpg

Today finsished installing the rabbit fence. June 4, 2021. Now I have to attack the two raised beds behind my deer fence almot 9.6 miles from my house. I have 86 varieties of bush beans planned for that plot.

Rabbit Fence Finished June 4, 2021.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wowzers @Bluejay77, that is hot for June 4th. :sick

Yep I agree. We shouldn't get only a one or two 90 days until about the last week of June. I'm afraid we are going to see some 100 + days here this summer. The soil in in this patch was already bone dry when I planted. Like planting in sand.

I think the next time I am at this pole bean site I'm going to water it over the entire surface with a lawn springler.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 was out planting beans yesterday and this morning (more to go yet) and noticed how nice those Shelleasy x Soldier beans were. wow, i sure hope i can get beans back that look as nice as they did when i planted them. :)

i've made good progress the past two days planting out the beans, i think now i have all the network beans planted and watered in to get them going.

plenty more to plant yet, if i reach my goal of getting everything planted in the next week i'll be happy. :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 was out planting beans yesterday and this morning (more to go yet) and noticed how nice those Shelleasy x Soldier beans were. wow, i sure hope i can get beans back that look as nice as they did when i planted them. :)

Yes the beans were grown by a woman in Appalachia, New York in 2016. Have been in constant freezer storage since. She has a 5 acre vegetable farm and really knows how to grow stuff. That is what makes this project of LEBN more successful when people return quality seed. Then I can send out great seed to growers. I think it helps seed quality to have well worked soil and don't crowd beans. 6 to 8 inch spacing giving plants enough room to develop well. When seed comes back I do weed out very small seed, split seed coats, oddly shaped seeds, super badly stained, shriveled seeds that are not well filled out (indication of water stress). I think that covers it.

Last year I had a grower return seed that was so decrepid looking. I only kept one sample because it was the only sample that would exist here. The others they sent back I had other samples in the freezer so I discarded all those returns.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes the beans were grown by a woman in Appalachia, New York in 2016. Have been in constant freezer storage since. She has a 5 acre vegetable farm and really knows how to grow stuff. That is what makes this project of LEBN more successful when people return quality seed. Then I can send out great seed to growers. I think it helps seed quality to have well worked soil and don't crowd beans. 6 to 8 inch spacing giving plants enough room to develop well. When seed comes back I do weed out very small seed, split seed coats, oddly shaped seeds, super badly stained, shriveled seeds that are not well filled out (indication of water stress). I think that covers it.

up in the hills it will be cooler!

i have a long ways to go here on soil quality in some gardens. i am also increasing some space between seeds in the rows, but perhaps i need to do more. too late for what i've already planted... oops. :)

the network bean seeds were planted this year in much better soil than some of the other gardens and a big project last year was getting that garden soil in better shape. most of what i planted were also some varieties that did not do great last year in another garden space so i hope this will be what they need. we'll see how they do.

Last year I had a grower return seed that was so decrepid looking. I only kept one sample because it was the only sample that would exist here. The others they sent back I had other samples in the freezer so I discarded all those returns.

oh, that's too bad. :( i hope they have better results this season. some beans are certainly more finicky than others.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

I am happy to report that all my network bean plantings were spaced 6 - 8 inches apart, exactly as you had described in earlier posts 😁 I also have given them the Rolls Royce of soil too; I ordered 23 cubic yards of new soil for the garden. It's the darkest, loamiest, finest looking garden mix I've ever brought in. I kept it 2 or 3 ft deep for the pole beans too. I'm really happy with it. And I've given the rows very wide spacing. For this time of the year, I'm way ahead of schedule. We also had a wonderfully timed rain today, it cooled off a bit and now the sun is shining and it's 77. Seeds should be germinating happily right now.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Artorius Is it common for Piekny Jas to have so many stems coming up like this from one plant? When I grew Sadie's Horse Bean last year I don't think I paid much attention to the growth habit in this way. Also, some of the plants have 2 twining growth tips instead of one. I wonder if the heat wave we had burned the tips a little, and that doubled the growth tips? I noticed on a few plants some of the growth tips had browned and dried up.

20210605_194256_resized.jpg

20210605_194326_resized.jpg

The fava beans are up to about a foot and a half to 2 feet.
20210605_193902_resized.jpg
20210605_193818_resized.jpg

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi! I've been very busy lately. Tomatoes, beans, grapevines ... Now I have to explain to all my bones that working in the garden is pure pleasure :)
I transplanted all the seedlings. Some of the pole beans have already started climbing.

Kroatische Stangenbohne

Kroatische Stangenbohne 2.jpg

Slut
Slut 2.jpg

True Red Cranberry

True Red Cranberry.jpg

Sadie's Horse (white seeds) - I planted all four colors separately.
Sadie's Horse ws.jpg

Jeżycka - in the new place it is already about 90 cm high.
Jeżycka.jpg