2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I already have the first flowers on bush beans. This is Karachaganak. This year I only sowed seeds harvested in the previous season from plants of this type of growth. All 11 are growing as bush so far.

DSCN5321.jpg

Strong flower buds are also found on Arikara Yellow, Dente Di Morto / Dead Man's Tooth and Smith River Super Speckle. I will go to see them tomorrow. There will be flowers for sure.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
None of my Karachaganak Bush sprouted this year. I tried direct seeding and pre-sprouting. The pre-sprouts would mold in a couple of days. I tried rinsing them in a bleach solution, did not help. These were all last year's seeds, I wonder if I allowed some mold in them somehow though I never saw any. So you have the only Karachaganak Bush I'm aware of.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is this very common? I have only vaguely heard of that term. I don't think I've ever seen it in my gardens, but I read a little bit about it when this came up. Is it primarily transmitted by aphids, or is it seed borne? In all your years growing large bean gardens @Bluejay77 have you seen this very much? I don' think I would have picked up anything was wrong from the photo, I've seen some leaf irregularities here and there but I don't think it was ever anything serious. Can you have leaf irregularities sometimes in bean plants without it being mosaic virus, maybe due to high heat or dryness etc. ?
I have seen a small amount of Mosaic in my gardens over the years. I pull out the plants and destroy them or put them in a grocery bag and tie it and into the garbage they go. The leaves on your plants all look normally shaped. The thing about Mosaic the leaves will have a definite cupping downwards and often times the leave will become narrower and elongated sometime a rounded shape will occur. They leaves will definitely depart from the normal valentine shape. I don't believe the virus is carried to the next season in the soil. It might remain in the plant refuse if you didn't remove the infected plants. It is also seed borne. Mosaic infected plants production is way lower than normal if they don't just simply die.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s rained most of the day today so I’m not doing anything in the garden but looking. Upon closer inspection at the few TN Greenpods that I have I do see what your talking about with the mosaic virus symptoms. From my brief search of the web it’s telling me no cure destroy the plants, but will they still produce? Will the virus be passed down to the seeds? Will it stay in the soil? I feel way out of my element here, please guide me. 😞 I will attach photos of the top leaves w/ growing tips of each of the four TN plants. The first one is definitely the worst. The last one however looks perfectly fine (to me at least). Ok, so it looks like they got out of order when I added the photos, sorry about that.
I’m also growing Corbett Refugee for you as well they look good, but I’m including a couple of pics for inspection in case I’m totally wrong.
Your newest photos look good so far. What do the upper leaves on photo A18F look like. Can't see them in the photo. The virus is passed on into the seed if the plant doesn't just die before producing seed. I don't think it winters over in the soil however I have heard that it can be recommended not to plant in soil for 2 years where the virus had been found to infect plants. It's always a shame and disheartening when things go wrong. I know the feeling.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the Purple Dove bush beans i planted on May 22nd should start flowering pretty soon. they're looking pretty good. the Fort Portal Jade are about 1/4 of the PD size even if they were planted a week earlier (May 15th). the Monster beans i poked in the empty spots in that row (on June 6th) with the FPJ's a few weeks ago are already bigger than the FPJs. i suspect they'll be overgrown.

i'm actually surprised the FPJs have survived. they looked like they were about to give up when it got really hot outside. cooler recent weather has given them a second chance. this next week the highest temperature is forecast only into the low 80sF so perhaps they'll be ok. plenty of chances of rain too in the forecast.

wow this month is going by pretty quickly...

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Replanted all the semi runners about a week ago or so and watered everyday. I must have built up some moisture finally in the area where the seed was planted plus our most recent 3/4 in. rain help moisten the soil over the entire area. Photo is the semi runner seedlings I photoed today all coming up like nothing was wrong. I didn't replant the pole beans I felt it was just too late and many of the varieties my seed quantity is just enough now to hold in the palm of your hand like maybe 5 or 6 seeds. Those varieties with slim quantities will get special attention next year in my backyard seed nursery. Among the new seedling semi runners coming up (and this will make heirloomgal happy) the pretty spotted bean of Draper's Glen is really filling out it's space nicely. The semi's should mature almost as fast as a bush bean. This is the first planting of Draper's Glen so will find out if it's going to throw off lots or few segregations and what those will look like or none at all. So I didn't mind risking the seed for those. I really thought I could be taking a risk as dry as the soil had been.

Semi Runners At Pheasant Lane 6-23-2021  .jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts