2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow season number 9 here we go again. A new year for us to make more new bean history. I think this has been a great meeting place for those who grow and love beans. Some of us are itching to get the new gardening season going. However we will have to slog through this winter first and wait for that warming sun to make our planting plans green again. If you are just finding this thread for the first time. You will find a great family of bean growers here and interesting conversation about beans. Some people have told me they have learned new things about bean growing that they didn't know before by reading through all the past threads. I'm sure this thread will add to that base of information. We hope you will decide to be a part of our adventure in beans.

For the uninititated as to how our network operates. I will refer those to my website www.abeancollectorswindow.com and click on the link near the top of the page marked "Network" in yellow text. If you have any questions after reading that page. I will be more than happy to answer any questions by emailing me at upadam@comcast.net.

This 2021 season for those making choices as to what beans you would like to grow out this season. I am going to open up my entire website for anything you would like to grow. I will not advertise this on my website. Only people who run across this thread and have contributed in anyway to our bean conversation will be eligable to make grow out choices from my entire website. I also have a priority list below of beans that could really use some loving care and protection. They have come from various sources. From overseas, and seed swaps. Some have been donated by some of our growers.

1500 Year Old Cave - Pole
Barksdale - Pole
Barry Island - Pole
Bird Egg #3 - Pole
Brinker Carrier - Pole Snap
Brazil Little Black - Semi Runner black turtle type from Brazil
Breck's Italian - Pole This was grown out in 2020 and frightfully looking seed was returned. I hope the return seed is even growable.
Corn Planter Purple - Pole indigenous bean
Duilius - Pole
Gorema - Pole dry
Potawatomi - This beans return seed too is frightfully looking and needs another very careful grow out.
Imbotyi Imswi - Bush maybe snap from South Africa - Only 13 seeds left
Jack In The Beanstalk - Pole dry
King City Pink - Half Runner
La Vigneronne - Pole Snap
Larson Family Swedish - Pole
Lusaka - Semi Runner Dry
Luther Family Greasy Cornfield - Pole
Millenium - Black bean, Non glossy seed. Supposed to grow seed as large as a Pinto. Possibly Semi Runner
Mountain White Half Runner - Half Runner
Old U.S. Pinto - Pole A bean I received from a bean seed farmer in Idaho Falls
Pink Tip Greasy -
Fox Family Greasy - Pole
Dule - Pole
Pois Du Cap - Pole Lima
Potomac - Pole Snap
Rhine Family - Pole from Germany
Red Marbles
Roger Newsome
San Antonio
Santa Maria Pinquito
Serrano - Only 7 seeds left
Shelleasy x Soldier - Bush
Star 2054 - Bush Snap
Starlite
Striped Bunch - Semi Runner
Sylvano's
Timbavati
Venda - Bush
Volta - Bush

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman,

Thank you for the offer. What I have now in the freezer is a small 2 x 3 inch ziploc packet with 8 seeds of unknown age. If you sent 32 seeds so I could make up 4 more packet samples. I would consider the bean replentished. I will PM you my address.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pisarecka Zlutoluske - Hungarian Bush Wax, early
Venda - Bush

these two i will try again for this coming season, no need to send me them again.

if others want to give them a try please do. :) PZ is much easier for me to grow and get seeds from compared to Venda.

i'm not sure yet what else i will try to grow out this season.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77

I could grow 4 varieties:

1. Jack In The Beanstalk
2. Luther Family Greasy Cornfield
3. Pink Tip Greasy
4. Fox Family Greasy

I have grown the 1500 Year Old Cave for you last year. 60 good quality seeds are ready for shipment. I'm just waiting for the customs documents you wrote about.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My beans from 2020 - the continuation

Thibodeau du Comte Beauce
- bush
Thibodeau du Comte Beauce.jpg

Mandan Black - semi-runner
Mandan Black.jpg

Ernie's Big Eye - bush
Ernie's Big Eye.jpg

Deseronto Potato
- half-runner
Deseronto Potato.jpg

Tiger's Eye - bush
Tiger's Eye.jpg

Tarahumara Bakamina - half-runner
Tarahumara Bakamina.jpg

Tarahumara Bakamina outcross - half-runner. A burgundy shows through from under the black color.
Tarahumara Bakamina ntyp.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like you may have had some reverses in Tiger's Eye and your first one. One of the ones from the Will Bonsall crosses that has stabilized, Jas, does that regularly. The blue bean below is the reverse.

Jas Rev.jpg

The same thing happens to the pods. The regular Jas pod is the green/yellow with purple stripes, the dark one is the reverse. The beans in the reverse pod are not reverse beans, they are normal. I don't know what the Tiger's Eye or Thibodeau du Comte Beauce pods look like, did you notice any reversals in their coloring? Jas is the only one I have that reverses, I'm wondering if there is any link between reversing beans and reversing pods. I have not noticed reversing pods in any others though that may be common. Most of my pods are solid green of some shade.

Solid.jpg

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a photo of Thibodeau du Comte Beauce dry pods, but it's not very good.

TduCB.jpg

In 2019 I had one Thibodeou du Comte Beauce reverse pod. I have a photo of him, it's just starting to turn purple. I don't remember what seeds it had inside. I have to look at it better in the future. I had a few reverse seeds, so they must have been in normal color pods as well.

Thibodeau du Comte Beauce 3 .jpg

Tiger's Eye fresh pods are green while dry pods are yellow.

Latest posts