2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another Polish beans that I grew in 2020. I got the seeds of the first four from the Polish gene bank in 2019. The names come from the places where the seeds were harvested.

Bażanowice (Bazanovitse) - half-runner dry. Landrace from southern Poland, near the border with the Czech Republic. Green-yellow seeds with a dark navy blue ring around the eye.
Bażanowice.jpg

Goleszów (Goleshoof) - bush dry. Landrace from the same region of Poland as the previous one. Large olive green-yellow seeds.
Goleszów.jpg

Użranki (Uzranki) - half-runner dry. The Polish "ż" is pronounced like "j" in French. Landrace from north-eastern Poland.
Użranki.jpg

Pewel Wielka (Great Pevel) - pole dry. Another landrace from southern Poland, near the border with Slovakia. Very large seeds. It is possible that these are the same bean as Czechoslovakian that Decoy1 showed.
Pewel Wielka.jpg.

From one plant I harvested the typical Jacob's Cattle color seeds. I can't recall the name of any pole variety in this type of coloration.
Pewel Wielka ntyp.jpg

Atlas - pole wax. Light grey seeds with a graphite mark by the eye. Romano type pods.
Atlas.jpg

Gazela - pole wax. Very long, romano type pods. Large seeds in various shades of khaki color.
Gazela.jpg

Jeżycka (Yezitska) - runner bean. The seeds were bought at the Jeżycki Market in the Poznań city in central-western Poland. Huge seeds. Jacob's Cattle seed inside.
Jeżycka 1.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug

Last year at the Central Michigan Seed Swap I got the bean Nona Agnes. Do you know who might have been trading that bean that day?

i will have to look tomorrow, but i don't think i have a contact for them, sometimes people give me some things without giving me their name/address (and i am too shy to ask).

or are you just looking for those beans? i have some extra, they did ok for me and probably would have done much better had i given them more room and less competition.

[edit i do have part of a name on them so i'll send that to you in a PM]

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Użranki (Uzranki) - half-runner dry. The Polish "ż" is pronounced like "j" in French. Landrace from north-eastern Poland.
Użranki.jpg
All of those beans look flawless, and beautiful. I especially like the Bażanowice.

Undoubtedly a frequent comment regarding beans... but I've grown one that looks identical. It is a pole variety received as "Serbian Pole". It was very productive, and a good shelly. It also resembles another bean, "Goat's Eye".

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Zeedman I really like beans with this pattern. I have three more varieties: Kahnawake Mohawk, Tarahumara Oyo de Cabra (Goat's Eye) and Lewis County Fall. I'm waiting for a shipment from Austria, in which there will be fourth - Wildschweinchen, in English - Boar Cub. The Italian Maruchedda and Jack In The Beanstalk are also similar, but I don't have those yet :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another Polish beans that I grew in 2020. I got the seeds of the first four from the Polish gene bank in 2019. The names come from the places where the seeds were harvested.

I like that Atlas bean. I should trade you something for that. If I get in touch with the USDA and get the problems straightened out of not being able to logon to their new website. I sent another email yesterday via their help email address. This morning I sent off two letters one to the Examining station in San Fransisco and one to the Permitting unit in Maryland. Will see if I get any action out of this.

If there is something of mine you would like? I can put it in the same package as your grow out beans when I am able to logon to the USDA website.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77, gladly send seeds to you, normal sample 60 pcs. I have a lot of them, it's a very prolific bean. This is an old Polish variety that has disappeared due to the invasion of new commercial beans. I got it at the beginning of last year from a friend from the Polish gardening forum. His mother saved the seeds.
I'll send you a private message.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Artorius,

If I use the import labels to get this Atlas bean from you I can not have anymore than 50 seeds in a packet. The package will go through the examining station and they will open the package and if they find more than 50 seeds they could destory the entire shipment for not following their rules. It happened already once on a shipment from Canada. I like using this import account because as long as I follow the rules. I get the beans without any worry of someone confiscating the package at the point of entry into the country. It's fool proof as long as I do follow their rules.

I would be looking forward to growing a good yellow podded bean. I guess new commerical breeding is alright, but the old beans should never be forgotten. Old beans should never die.

Latest posts