2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i'm still around, but am slowly going down hill, still once in awhile i come here to see what you guys are up to :).
Annette
HELLO SWEETY!!!!!!!!!!
I am so happy to hear from you! I have missed you sooooo much! Are you growing anything? I did a couple of tomatoes and squash. I might do a few more things. I’ve got a few beans in paper towels like you showed me a few years back. Just to check if they are still viable.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok Beaners, can ya help me?

While rummaging around my ice chest of seeds, I came across a packet of beans that I bought from Baker Creek. I think it’s for year 2008. The packet is marked “ELVIE”

I have googled and I haven’t come up with anything. Has anyone grown it?

Bush? Pole?

Anyone?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal,

That Shirolustruca Kovina reminds me a lot of Fruhe Goldbohne. Where did you get a hold of That "Coral" bean? Was that from the Secret Garden? She grew it out for me last summer.
Yes, they do look a lot alike don't they. I got it from a lady who got it from Salt Spring Seeds in B.C. awhile ago I think, since they don't offer that bean anymore. I'm going to try to grow all three of those 'dijon mustard' beans - Shirolustruca Kovina, Fruhe Goldbohne and Giele Waldbeantsja (aka Frisian Yellow Forest) to see if there is any observable differences in growth habit etc. Just for the fun of it.

Yup, the Coral bean comes from Blyth Ontario! She has a bit of subtle colour differences in her Coral beans, than in the photo of the Coral beans in the Window. Did yours grow totally pinkish without that diversity @Bluejay77 ? I wonder if I pick out a couple of the true pinks and purples if that is what I'll collect in the fall.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok Beaners, can ya help me?

While rummaging around my ice chest of seeds, I came across a packet of beans that I bought from Baker Creek. I think it’s for year 2008. The packet is marked “ELVIE”

I have googled and I haven’t come up with anything. Has anyone grown it?

Bush? Pole?

Anyone?
I found this @ Cornell University site:

Elvie' Beans
Sub-Category:Bush
Green
Description:Bush green/dry bean. Plants bear green beans with seeds that resemble pintos.
Days To Maturity:NA
Seed Sources:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, the Coral bean comes from Blyth Ontario! She has a bit of subtle colour differences in her Coral beans, than in the photo of the Coral beans in the Window. Did yours grow totally pinkish without that diversity @Bluejay77 ? I wonder if I pick out a couple of the true pinks and purples if that is what I'll collect in the fall.
I also got a number of shades of coloring when I grew the bean. The photo on my website is the shade I decided to select. I thought I would continue to select it for that shade and weed out all the others. I sent the Secret Garden of course the shade I had selected.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found this @ Cornell University site:

Elvie' Beans
Sub-Category:Bush
Green
Description:Bush green/dry bean. Plants bear green beans with seeds that resemble pintos.
Days To Maturity:NA
Seed Sources:

I decided to go to the Cornell University site and did a search for Elvie beans and the same thing came up. So there you go it's a bush bean much like a pinto. Does the seed you have look much like a pinto?

Latest posts