2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I went through a collection stage where I was trading left and right for every bean I could get my hands on. It was impossible to grow them all. Back then I didn’t know how to preserve them.
I totally get you @HmooseK ! 🤣 It so funny you know, when I started collecting heirlooms, beans especially, I thought - this will be so much fun! Like collecting baseball trading cards! And then, whoa, I realized at some point, nope, not the same at all - there is no end in sight!! It's impossible to get 'em all, and even if you could, you'd need a temperature controlled vault!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
they're rare as they like wooded wetland type areas. they are around here but i've seen only one in all the years i've been here and it was tiny. we're about a half mile from the larger wooded area that does have some wetlands in there.
I've read that the most dangerous stage in their life cycle, for humans that is, is when small, during pre-adulthood

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
First beans have sprouted we will have to see how well they tolerate the lows in the 40s this week. Pintos and Kidneys
F374D1ED-B75C-4764-B8A7-1C2E0270149D.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
First beans have sprouted we will have to see how well they tolerate the lows in the 40s this week. Pintos and KidneysView attachment 40126

aww! cutie little beano plant. :) how many days did it take to get them to sprout?

they may not grow quickly with that low of temperatures but i don't think it will kill them unless it actually gets below freezing.

at least that is my guess! :) i normally don't plant bean so early that this is a concern.

this season i'm going to try to plant some beans earlier that are supposedly cooler weather tolerant so perhaps i'll finally get a chance to see just how tolerant they are.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
aww! cutie little beano plant. :) how many days did it take to get them to sprout?

they may not grow quickly with that low of temperatures but i don't think it will kill them unless it actually gets below freezing.

at least that is my guess! :) i normally don't plant bean so early that this is a concern.

this season i'm going to try to plant some beans earlier that are supposedly cooler weather tolerant so perhaps i'll finally get a chance to see just how tolerant they are.
It’s been warmer this week we actually got close to 90F a few times. I’m not sure how long it took them to sprout since I haven’t checked on that bed in a few days and they were presprouted in the house. Its not a big deal if these don’t make it since they aren’t my main crop.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of mine have sprouted too.

Cock 'n Bull Plant Flower.jpg

It's been a strange spring, cooler than normal. Some segregations popped up really well soon after I planted them, Other segregations have had to be replanted more than once. I like to get started early down here to try to get in two crops a year. Some won't make it this year.

I was surprised how much germinating was by segregation, even planted in the same raised bed. I don't see a lot of logic in it. TTA-TA popped right up. It's sister, TTA-TB struggled to germinate. Bush or climbing didn't make a difference. Just another fun year in the bean patch.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I posted this on a different thread but thought it also belongs on here. I took this photo today of some pods on my Cock 'n Bull bush bean segregations. Nothing else is this far along but it kind a shows the differences in our growing seasons.

Cock 'n Bull Pods.jpg

I'm hoping the beans look like this. If they all do then I'll consider this one stabilized, Three times growing it and getting the same results.

Cock 'n Bull Planted.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A bean recipe that I've been looking for (for a month) fell out of a cookbook tonight. I had thought it was lost forever, and the company that sent it to me is MIA, so I'm really happy I found it. To celebrate, I thought I'd post it here. It might sound kinda strange, but I've made it a bunch of times and liked it. I'm always looking for new ways to use beans in my recipes, or make a dish or dessert healthier. And pea beans (and maple syrup) are so ubiquitous in my area! So...for anyone with some pea bean type beans at season's end, not wanting to make yet another soup, here is a possibility...

Maple Syrup Bean Tarts

*Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C

For the filling:
1 cup cooked pea beans
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 eggs
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup raisins and/or chopped pecans

And you need 18 unbaked tarts shells (or a 9 inch unbaked pie shell)

Puree all the filling ingredients together in a blender, except raisins and/or pecans. Pour into shells or pie crust. Drop in raisins and/or nuts. It's about 20 minutes for the shells, 35-40 minutes for the pie. Eat them when they come to room temperature completely, or chilled. Delish!

Disclaimer: I am a bit if a health nut, and virtually never eat sugar, so for me anything like this is :drool

Latest posts