2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
On Saturday I finished the 2021 season. I took the last varieties of beans to the barn to dry: Succotash, True Red Cranberry and Tarahumara Dark Purple. I also pulled up all the tomato bushes. Now I will have more time to shell the pods, segregate the seeds and take photos.
Did you want the Coon bean? I didn't find it at the seed swap. Also are you going to send the Atlas wax?

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful pictures, @Decoy1 - I especially like that last one, though Rosecoco are clearly #1 based on this:

View attachment 44377
Thank you!

Yes, I was intrigued by the Mascherina del Cadore which seems to mean Mask from Cadore. I don't think I've met a bean with that kind of bi-colouring where the coloured section is so clearly stripy.

I'm also interested in what the definition of a borlotto bean. I guess they are beans originally from Italy which are best for drying and have mottled beans and pods. But all the ones I've come across have a buff coloured background I think, so the deep red of Borlotto di Nova Ponente (which in Portuguese is New Bridge) is perhaps unusual for a bean actually named Borlotto. But maybe there are others I'm not aware of.

Screziato Lungo Rosso simply means mottled long red and on another forum someone suggested that this is just a descriptive name and perhaps shouldn't be regarded as having any real validity. It's the only name I have though, so it seems the only responsible thing to do is to use the name given.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... Here are the 2021 beans:

the two lima beans are particularly lovely to me too. i've tried to grow FP a few times and it didn't do well (where i plant pole beans right along a fence has very bad soil) and now i've mostly backed off pole beans. it is still great to see such wonderful colors and patterns here on TEG. :)

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
When I got home I looked at the return papers you sent me and I need to correct the previous post.
I have 13 varieties to be returned. I thought Huey, Lemon Slice and Tonawanda Variant were too, but no. However, I can send them to you if you want.

I will definitely send you:
1. 1500 Year Old Cave
2. Mr. Tung
3. King Of The Early
4. Rattlesnake
5. Slut
6. Dead Man's Tooth
7. Seneca Pole
8. Atlas

I will sow the others again next year. I can't return all the beans and I am very sorry for this reason.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did you want the Coon bean? I didn't find it at the seed swap. Also are you going to send the Atlas wax?

Yes, I wanted Coon bean from Bill Best.
The ones I have look like the ones here:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
When I got home I looked at the return papers you sent me and I need to correct the previous post.
I have 13 varieties to be returned. I thought Huey, Lemon Slice and Tonawanda Variant were too, but no. However, I can send them to you if you want.

I will definitely send you:
1. 1500 Year Old Cave
2. Mr. Tung
3. King Of The Early
4. Rattlesnake
5. Slut
6. Dead Man's Tooth
7. Seneca Pole
8. Atlas

I will sow the others again next year. I can't return all the beans and I am very sorry for this reason.

@Artorius if you don't have enough of Huey or Lemon Slice to send back to @Bluejay77 i can include those in my returns.

i grew about a kilo of Huey this year and have plenty and i should also be able to find enough Lemon Slice too for some to go back.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
I didn't think you were going to send back any of flowerbugs seeds to me. I figured you must have made an agreement with him that what I was sending of his to you that was banked in my freezer was going to be a gift. Make whatever revisions you need to make on the papers. Just keep in mind that the labels on your packets must agree with your list.

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well I'll be... SSE did indeed slip Olteanu's Romanian Yellow back into the 2020 Yearbook under 'Runner beans'... in spite of describing it as a 'wax bean'. :lol: Apparently they caught their mistake (or it was pointed out to them) because it is listed under the 'wax pole' heading in the 2021 Yearbook. Mistakes happen; and to SSE's credit, they seem to be doing a better job of correcting them than in years past. They've really cleaned up the 'unsorted' categories.
I had a similar experience with Turtle Peas, now one of my favorite black beans, which I found in the cowpea section of their listing. They fixed it quickly once I let them know.

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Every time I check on beans I'm impressed with how nice these look. Norridgewock from Maine. The red is a little more wine colored in person.
244074324_10158149286357441_8224470390725295927_n.jpg

Latest posts