2021 Peppers

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spring is finally here, so many of us are starting seeds (or will be soon). Unless I am growing onions, peppers are the first transplants to be started - especially C. frutescens peppers, which are slow growing. These are the peppers I am starting for 2021:

*Amfora (sweet)
Bacskia (sweet)(to check 2020 seed for purity)
*Bea (hot)
*Beaver Dam (hot)
*Cardinal Black (sweet)
*Elephant's Ear (sweet)
Greygo (sweet)
*Korean Dark Green (hot)
*Melrose (sweet)
*New Orleans (hot)
*Pizza Pepper (hot)
*Red Belgian (sweet, new trial)
*Trinidad Perfume (no-heat C. frutescens)

All peppers are open pollinated; those tagged "*" will be grown under cover for seed.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Spring is finally here, so many of us are starting seeds (or will be soon). Unless I am growing onions, peppers are the first transplants to be started - especially C. frutescens peppers, which are slow growing. These are the peppers I am starting for 2021:

*Amfora (sweet)
Bacskia (sweet)(to check 2020 seed for purity)
*Bea (hot)
*Beaver Dam (hot)
*Cardinal Black (sweet)
*Elephant's Ear (sweet)
Greygo (sweet)
*Korean Dark Green (hot)
*Melrose (sweet)
*New Orleans (hot)
*Pizza Pepper (hot)
*Red Belgian (sweet, new trial)
*Trinidad Perfume (no-heat C. frutescens)

All peppers are open pollinated; those tagged "*" will be grown under cover for seed.
Red Belgium is one of my favourite peppers. I have found it quite early to fruit too. Elephant's Ear (which I received as Slonovo Uvo) is another favorite. I love the Ajvar made with that pepper.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bummer. Maybe a bit more time might bring some up?
They had been on heat mats under grow lights. I have already chosen the winners and repotted for the next stage. But hey, there are always more! And next year! I usually buy a few oddball nursery starts anyway. I will be lucky to get a garden in this year so maybe less is more. It has been a very busy spring at work and with some attic projects.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red Belgium is one of my favourite peppers. I have found it quite early to fruit too. Elephant's Ear (which I received as Slonovo Uvo) is another favorite. I love the Ajvar made with that pepper.
The early ripening is what caught my attention, when I saw it growing on SSE's farm a few years ago. It was to be my only new pepper trial, and I really looked forward to it... but at planting time, it was nowhere to be found! :oops: I turned my whole seed room upside down looking for it (and found a missing bean) - but no Red Belgian. I was throwing away a lot of old seed during my recent seed inventory; the seed was in a small poly envelope & it may have inadvertently been tossed. Good to hear a testimonial @heirloomgal , I'll (hopefully) get replacement seed next year.

Not really a big deal, the focus should really be on renewing the older pepper seeds anyway... and if all or most of the 96 cells grow, I certainly won't be short on peppers. About 50% of them are coming up now, I'll post photos soon.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The early ripening is what caught my attention, when I saw it growing on SSE's farm a few years ago. It was to be my only new pepper trial, and I really looked forward to it... but at planting time, it was nowhere to be found! :oops: I turned my whole seed room upside down looking for it (and found a missing bean) - but no Red Belgian. I was throwing away a lot of old seed during my recent seed inventory; the seed was in a small poly envelope & it may have inadvertently been tossed. Good to hear a testimonial @heirloomgal , I'll (hopefully) get replacement seed next year.

Not really a big deal, the focus should really be on renewing the older pepper seeds anyway... and if all or most of the 96 cells grow, I certainly won't be short on peppers. About 50% of them are coming up now, I'll post photos soon.
I can send you some Red Belgium seeds, whenever you want to grow them. I'm growing them this year too. My purity though might not be 100% even though I grow them in a greenhouse; I do sometimes leave the door open, or occasionally unload the whole greenhouse for one reason or another. This year I'm really going to try and only open the door for entry/exit.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first pepper plants are starting to get flowers. Are they going to be stunted? If I put in larger pots will that help? I have younger ones that will be the right size when it is time to go out. I am almost tempted just to plant them in the ground and cover with plastic. Are they worth keeping?

Latest posts