2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always thought saddleback refered to the shape of the seed. Bent more at the eye so the bean sort of formed a saddle when viewed from the side.
They (Burpee's) were using the term saddleback in conjunction with having a deep crease, and comparisons with another bean they carried named White Creaseback. Somewhere in there they used the term "Fat Horse" which made me think of a (fat) horse's back, and the way it looks along the spine.

Wait a sec! I'm certain that I saw something more definitive...

1901: Old Homestead, or "Kentucky Wonder." This most popular variety is an improved large-podded strain of the Southern Prolific. The pods, usually seven inches or more in length, are so fleshy that they are greater in width than breadth, being deeply creased or "saddle-backed." They are solidly meaty, entirely stringless, and of finest quality. If kept gathered as they mature, the vines will continue to bear to the end of the season. We have sufficient stock now to fill all retail orders for this popular bean.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Guess I'm weird (no surprise there), but I like the mushy canned beans. Can't stand the frozen. Even some canned beans now-a-days are like frozen. But then I don't like al dente pasta either.

On a seperate note, this season has not been good for me and beans. I'm happy I only planted half of each variety cause I'm not sure what I'll be able to harvest.
How is the bramble eradication going? I thought of you yesterday as I was picking berries that had grown up into the cedar tree without me realizing it until I saw the blossoms. Rascals just keep coming!

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How is the bramble eradication going? I thought of you yesterday as I was picking berries that had grown up into the cedar tree without me realizing it until I saw the blossoms. Rascals just keep coming!
Slow. I did get a new weed wacker and a brush cutter attachment for it. That is helping quite a bit. Now just to find it roundtoit and I'll be in great shape. Sigh, retiring didn't fix my procrastination problem. I'd go to the procrastinators anonymous meetings, but they keep putting them off. :idunno

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ducks I store my beans...in my memories! Or dried in a jar. I find frozen green beans need perfect blanching to not be rubberized when thawed and cooked. I have not mastered that art! I'm envious of those that can freeze them and have them remain edible!

I'm with you on the steaming veggies @ bluejay! Best method, though I do my fair share of roasted vegetables w/ olive oil - every kind of veggie - and enjoy them that way too.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
How do you store your whole beans? Frozen only? Pls describe. Thx! :hugs
I store bean seed in my freezer in 4 mil ziploc baggies. Some in 2 x 3 inch and some in 3 x 4 inch ziplocs. Usually dry them until at least Thanksgiving so I am sure they are very dry. Ziplocs with beans are then stored in cardboard boxes.

If you are speaking of green bean pods. I blanch them after slicing them into three pieces. Then store them in quart size ziploc baggies in the freezer.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Slow. I did get a new weed wacker and a brush cutter attachment for it. That is helping quite a bit. Now just to find it roundtoit and I'll be in great shape. Sigh, retiring didn't fix my procrastination problem. I'd go to the procrastinators anonymous meetings, but they keep putting them off. :idunno
Whatcha need are a couple of goats! 😂

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Whatcha need are a couple of goats! 😂
Yeah, but a friend researched the idea and I guess not just any goat will do. They need to be ones raised that way, otherwise they don't do squat. Also I live in the Salem Oregon City limits, and you can only have three goats for 3 weeks at a time. Then a month with no goats, then 3 weeks, then none for a month again, then 3 weeks, then you have to wait a year. Not worth the bother for me.

Latest posts