2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 25

Skunk Bean -Pole Dry - 2022

Comes from the Pine Mountain area of Harlan county Kentucky. I've been told this bean might be the same as a bean called Grey Eyed Greasy. I acquired the bean at Bill Best's Sustainable Mountain Agriculture seed swap in 2018. I've also been told that Skunk Bean might also be a greasy bean. I didn't observe that this past summer but will do a very small grow out of this bean again in 2023 to see what characteristics it pods have. The bean is a prolific bearer of pods and produced a large amount of seed this past summer. Total seed for 8 plants was 30.40 ounces (861.82 gm)

Skunk Bean-FB.jpg
Skunk Bean - Pole Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Skunk River Trout - Bush Dry - 2022

One of the Robert Lobitz legacy beans I've worked with since 2015. I believe this bean has stablalized last year in 2021. It grew yet again this summer without any off types. Oddly this bean displayed more white grown in a heavier clay type top soil in 2020 that it did in a loam soil this summer of 2022. Total seed from about 11 plants was 17.90 ounces (507.45 gm).

Skunk River Trout-FB.jpg
Skun River Trout - Bush Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Slovenia III - Pole Dry - 2022

Acquired this bean from DeFlora Seeds in Germany in 2013. This year was the fourth time I've grown the bean. Usually very productive of good quality beans but this year was not a good pole bean year in one particular plot I have. I noticed that I couldn't tell the difference from the seeds of this bean and another one I grew this summer called Witzenhausen Red. Total seed produced from perhaps 6 plants was 14.05 ounces (398.31 gm).

Slovenia III-FB.jpg
Slovenia III

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Snow On The Mountain - Lima Dry - 2022

I acquired this bean in 2011 from John Coykendall, author and master gardener at Black Berry Farms near Knoxville, Tennessee. John probably aqcuired this bean at the Washington Parish Free Fair in Louisiana. Where he spends some time each year searching for forgotten heirloom seeds. This bean is late for my climate but it will produce large amounts of dry seed if started early enough. This years seed harvest is in the photo I took of it's new beans this past growing season. Will plant this bean again next year.

Snow On The Mountain-FB.jpg
Snow On The Mountain - Pole Lima

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score

Snow On The Mountain - Lima Dry - 2022

I acquired this bean in 2011 from John Coykendall, author and master gardener at Black Berry Farms near Knoxville, Tennessee. John probably aqcuired this bean at the Washington Parish Free Fair in Louisiana. Where he spends some time each year searching for forgotten heirloom seeds. This bean is late for my climate but it will produce large amounts of dry seed if started early enough. This years seed harvest is in the photo I took of it's new beans this past growing season. Will plant this bean again next year.

View attachment 53720
Snow On The Mountain - Pole Lima
That looks identical to SSE's pole lima "1880's Butterbean".
20211102_130713.jpg

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 21

Peinsipps Zwefarbige - Pole Dry - 2022

A fairly productive moderately climbing bean I obtained from my bean trading friend in Austria in 2013. No known historical data about this bean.

View attachment 53658
Peinsipps Zweifarbige - Pole Dry
@Bluejay77, can you tell what the difference is to Vulkan/Volcano?

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think these have more white than Lilascheke but I'm not positive. The pods were green though. It wouldn't surprise me if they were related!

I soaked somewhere around 6 quarts of dry beans for maybe 16 hours, boiled them for 30 minutes in a 5 gallon pot that was threatening to overflow, scooped them into 40 jars, and processed them in a pressure canner in two loads - one with 20 pint Ball jars and one with 18 half liter Golden Harvest jars. The two that were left got dumped back into a small pot and boiled for a little longer to make sure they were done and then went into the fridge.
Did you use rather fresh beans (not fully dried) or even shellies, or were they completely dry?

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did you use rather fresh beans (not fully dried) or even shellies, or were they completely dry?
These were completely dry. I do often mix shellies in when I process during harvest season though. I'm not sure mixing is 100% approved by the USDA standards, but both cooking and processing times are longer for dry beans than shellies, so I use those numbers and don't worry too much about it.

Last edited:

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've shelled all the pods, so I can do a little network recap now.

Again, I won't be able to return Pink Tip Greasy, Fox Family Greasy, Mother Earth, and the other 30 Jack In The Beanstalk seeds. These beans were grown in a place that was exposed to the scorching sun and heat up to 35 C all day. Many flowers and small pods have fallen. In those pods that appeared after cooling, at the end of summer, the seeds did not grow to the right size before the first frost.

I won't send back Caramel Delight either. All four plants were probably destroyed by ants. It was this year's plague. Moles were no longer as annoying as last year. Throughout the year, 17 of them were caught in various traps.

Beans that grew in a theoretically worse place, where the sun was only in the morning and afternoon, fared much better. During the hottest hours of the day, the plants were shaded by a row of spruce trees.
I already packed 60 seeds:

Mountain Pima Plum - pole. I had 4 plants. 2 of them were outcrosses with brown seeds. I will send back plum-colored seeds only.

Mountain Pima Plum 1.jpg
Mountain Pima Plum 2.jpg

Bubblegum - pole

Bubblegum 1.jpg
Bubblegum 2.jpg

Long Eye Black Eye - bush wax. This variety also didn't grow very well. I will send back 40 of the prettiest seeds.

Long Eye Black Eye1.jpg

Last edited:

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
as compensation, I can send other beans that were on this year's renewal list. I planted them from my own seeds, just in case.

Hidatsa Shield Figure - pole

Hidatsa Shield Figure 1.jpg
Hidatsa Shield Figure 2.jpg

Cranberry Flieder - pole

Cranberry Flieder 1.jpg
Cranberry Flieder 2.jpg

Tuvagliedda Rossa - pole

Tuvagliedda Rossa 1.jpg
Tuvagliedda Rossa 2.jpg

Kilham Goose - semi runner. Last year I wrote that I could grow this bean as part of the network. I have some pretty nice seeds.

Kilham Goose 1.jpg
Kilham Goose 2.jpg

All these beans grew in this theoretically worse, partially shaded place.

There are also 60 nice Potawatomi Lima seeds waiting in my fridge. I see on the website that you still have not received your return from the grower.