2022 peppers

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
What peppers does everyone have planned for 2022?

These are the peppers we have planned for the year. Most of these won't be started until about April 1st:

Aji Cristal (baccatum, hot)
Aji Dulce (no-heat habanero, to compare against Trinidad Perfume)
Alma Paprika (sweet)
Beaver Dam (hot)
Professor Meader's Chocolate (brown sweet bell)
Cubanelle (sweet)
Djuric Tomato Pepper (sweet)
Early Jalapeno (hot)
Greygo (sweet)
Pelso (low-heat paprika)
Pizza (hot)
Pusztagold Paprika (sweet)
Ralph Thompson's Squash (hot)
Tennessee Cheese (sweet)
* Thai Mound (hot)
Thunder Mountain (hot)
* Karlo (low heat) is a backup in case of no germination for 2012 seed of Thai Mound

Aji Dulce is slow to germinate & slow growing, so that kicked off pepper planting today. I wish I could start all of the peppers earlier; but as they got potted up, I'd run out of greenhouse space. With more transplants than usual this year, it's going to be crowded enough as it is. :hide

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I will see your Beaver Dam and raise you Mexican Jelly Bean. They were gifted seeds, and I think what I will see growing is the Peruvian white habanero. What does 225,000 scoville mean please?

Poblano
Chilaca
Mirasol
NM Hatch
Tangerine
Red Bells
Cow Horn

Do other dried peppers get different names once dried?
Screenshot_20220205-113215.png

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
What does 225,000 scoville mean please?
With you I have trouble imagining that as a serious question. I can't imagine you not knowing this. The Scoville scale is a measure of how hot a hot pepper is. Do a search on Scoville scale and you cab see how 225,000 compares to other hot peppers.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whopper bells
Colossal bells
Giant Marconi
Anaheim
Early Jalapeno
Altiplano Serrano
Cayenne
Super Chili
Thai Hot

Very few of the final 3 since we have plethora of dried, hot peppers from 2021. (Is Plethora a dried pepper term that fits into that chart, @Dirtmechanic :D ?)

It's been 40 years since I have grown Cayenne and I doubt that they will mature but DW wanted them. Funny that she now uses/tolerates/enjoys fewer and fewer hot peppers than just a few years ago.

I'm interested to see how well Colossal does side-by-side compared to our old standby Whopper. A super good pepper year in 2021 with Colossal and all others but I haven't had Whopper in the garden for about 15 years. Tried several other early bells and wasn't impressed. Hoping for normal weather so that a comparison will make sense.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will see your Beaver Dam and raise you Mexican Jelly Bean. They were gifted seeds, and I think what I will see growing is the Peruvian white habanero. What does 225,000 scoville mean please?

it means serious problems if you're not used to it. i can't imagine ever getting to that level of heat. right now i'm using up some Cholulu sauce (very wimpy but i needed something and that was what they had) and will get back to Sriracha sauce (which has more heat and hangs on a bit longer, plus i do like the flavor better - i'm not much into sauces where the primary flavors are vinegar). in comparison i think Sriracha sauce is about 2,000 - 3,000 SU.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we are at the mercy of what the greenhouse starts. they usually have a good enough selection. i was happy with the red peppers we grew last year but i don't recall the variety name. i think they were just labelled red peppers. we give some of what we grow back to the greenhouse so they were impressed with what we'd gotten (peppers the size of two fists).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
But Wait a Minute, @flowerbug !

You use hot pepper in your hot chocolate.

You aren't puttng Sriracha sauce in the cup, are you?? Oh, never mind ... I forgot that you are a real fan of garlic ...

haha! yes, i'm so used to garlic that i don't really even taste it in the hot chocolate or the Sriracha sauce. i know it is there. this reminds me that i have some garlic i need to get out of the garage to take with me Tuesday - i said i would bring some to someone and then forgot about it. oops. :)

i am mostly off hot chocolate the past few weeks. trying to cut as many calories as i possibly can.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
2 different types of bells-both hybrids that really do well here- buy from local vegetable centers. IF I can find Pablano, those. Starting jalapeño, chili’s & bananas.

It will be interesting to see how much plants go up in price. Probably not as bad as I think as most people either don’t have space or are too lazy to plant a small garden.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is there a jalapeño that is both early and, what you consider, an especially good variety?

I'm not talking about a mild one.

There were plenty of Jalapeño M last year and they usually do okay. I've had Early Jalapeño many seasons and have already started what should be plenty but am I missing out? (And, since I don't recognize many of these names, they may already appear on someone's list ;).)

Steve

Latest posts