2022 peppers

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is there a jalapeño that is both early and, what you consider, an especially good variety?

I'm not talking about a mild one.

There were plenty of Jalapeño M last year and they usually do okay. I've had Early Jalapeño many seasons and have already started what should be plenty but am I missing out? (And, since I don't recognize many of these names, they may already appear on someone's list ;).)

Steve
That is a question I've been asking for awhile. The Early Japanenos are OK, but I'd like to find something larger (and meatier) that will mature here reliably. I'd prefer something on the low end of the jalapeno heat scale (I'd be perfectly happy with "Tam" if it was a little larger) but can deal with heat if it meets the other criteria. The "Traveler" strain looks promising. Been wanting for years to do a mass trial of every jalapeno I can find, but bad weather and/or other projects always gets in the way. It seems that for some things, "next year" never comes. :(

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
With you I have trouble imagining that as a serious question. I can't imagine you not knowing this. The Scoville scale is a measure of how hot a hot pepper is. Do a search on Scoville scale and you cab see how 225,000 compares to other hot peppers.
I have eaten some raw habanaro (the orange ones) because I am dangerously curious and I think that is the hottest I have experienced plain. It was not pleasant!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have eaten some raw habanaro (the orange ones) because I am dangerously curious and I think that is the hottest I have experienced plain. It was not pleasant!
Here, @Dirtmechanic this is an interesting read about the heat: http://www.eatmorechiles.com/Scoville_Heat.html

Habaneros aren't the hottest, but they're pretty hot. I'm growing scorpion peppers right now for my husband. My son only got 2 lonely peppers off his Carolina Reaper, but I believe we've learned from our mistakes this year.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just topped of my pepper starts which I started mid January. Hoping they can go into the ground in 3 weeks.

Started seeds of the usual jalapenos for my hot sauce, shi****o for roasting on pan with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon, and trying poblanos for the first time. I want to use the poblanos for making pozole.

Mary

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
We grow a number of hot pepper varieties but not all of them every year. I try to grow Murupi Amarela (a.ka. Ají Yellow #2 originally from Cross Country Nursery). It's my favorite although I don't think I could eat more than a pea sized piece raw. I use it for hot sauce and cut up in cooking. It's a c. chinense, related to the habanero.

My wife's favorite is called Chile Rayado, a jalapeño landrace from Central Mexico. It's generally much hotter than a regular jalapeño. One pod will generally turn 1 1/2 gallon of stew into a spicy hot dish. Rayado, as we call it, imparts a smokey flavor to whatever it's cooked in.

This is a picture of Chile Rayado.

This year I will almost certainly plant Tabasco peppers. They're super productive and dependable in our climate. I used them for hot sauce.

Recipes? I'd especially love to know how you make hot sauce. We've been trying but it always comes out thin and runny. Also weirdly floral.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Recipes? I'd especially love to know how you make hot sauce. We've been trying but it always comes out thin and runny. Also weirdly floral.
Some are simple like tabasco. But chile pastes are thicker, richer, have more ingredients. They can be fermented too. Some might need a strainer, but salsa styles, blends like ketchup all are possibilities. I keep dried pepper blends in the freezer in 1 cup ziploc bags so I can pop them out and into a tasty meal.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

some of the floral notes are likely coming from the varieties of peppers (like if you are using habanero and relatives of those). i personally do not like habanero peppers because of that precise issue. sauces made from them to me taste of rotted fruit and not in a good way. jalapeno (and relatives) when fermented don't give me that same problem.

which gets me to the question i was going to ask in another post, but to put it here instead.

does anyone here regularly grow serrano peppers? how would you describe their flavor at various stages of growth/size? are they pretty uniform when it comes down to heat level?