2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another round of the WB #27's

TTA 2C.jpg

TTA 2C is a new segregation grown in 2020.

TTA 3A.jpg

TTA 3A is a new segregation grown in 2020

TTA 3B.jpg

TTA 3B is a new segregation grown in 2020

TT A4.jpg

TTA 4 is a new segregation grown in 2020.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll now start the WB #32's

AKSAI 22.jpg

I consider Aksai stabilized. I have grown it 4 times and it has always been consistent. When I grew it in 2022 the quality of the seed was not as good as it usually is but 2022 was not a great year generally. It is a bush from the WB #32 packet. Aksai is a town I worked at in Kazahkstan and is where a white clay was mined to make porcelain. Aksai has a shiny white porcelain like quality when fresh and turns more tan when it ages.

Cock n Bull 22.jpg

Cock n Bull has also stabilized. Another bush from the WB #32 packet. The first year I grew it, 2016, the seed quality wasn't real good, kind of shriveled so I gave it this name thinking it might need help. Every time I've grown it since it has made nice seeds. It doesn't need help.

Hightlight.jpg

Next up is Highlight, also from the WB #32 packet, grown in 2020. I consider it probably stabilized. I say it that way because I have never gotten a good harvest from it, either in quality or quantity but it has always repeated. I'm not sure it is worth growing, but it might behave for someone else somewhere else. It is black when fresh.

I'm out of time for now. I still have several to go.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Been trying to play a little catch up with pictures for beans I didn't take any photos of after this summer's grow out. I thought I had got them all, but as I go down the list I see there are several I missed. I really do need outdoors summer sunlight to take good photos with my old device, but for now my grow lights will have to do. Thought I'd share a few. I actually bought the green mug bowl in a thrift store today just to be able to use it for bean photos. lol

Ugandan Bantu
20230118_220338.jpg

Fukuruyu Chanaga
20230118_221650.jpg

Forelle Fleiderfarben

I don't know why my beans come up in two separate tones like this; I always plant the purples but the beige ones seem to come up with the more purple ones. It's been like this since I first planted them.
20230118_221849.jpg

Black Nicaraguan Turtle (this one grown in 2021)
20230118_215217.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Forelle Fleiderfarben
I don't know why my beans come up in two separate tones like this; I always plant the purples but the beige ones seem to come up with the more purple ones. It's been like this since I first planted them.
View attachment 54584

if you've been keeping track of your plants and checking seeds as they dry down you might notice how conditions may change the colors of the seed coats.

i've seen that myself where some seeds that finished earlier in cooler temperatures had different colors than those that ripened and dried down later when it was warmer and then again as the season came to an end. also the nutrients available in each location of each plant can change the color of the seed coat.

i think it is just a part of learning about each variety as you grow it through several years as to what it does and how it responds to the various conditions. some beans are more obviously reactive than others or more finicky.

some notables for me were Blaugrau, Bomba, Fort Portal Jade, Money, Nonna Agnes and recently with Tinker's Fire.

even the less finicky beans can still give some variations (Purple Dove is a good example in this regards as it has been very reliable and decently productive almost every place i grow it, but the seed coat color definitely changes depending upon where i plant it, the better the garden soil the better the color).

and i sure wished my Fukuruyu Chanaga beans had produced at all let alone such nice ones as those in your picture. :) and Bantu is a wonderfully colorful mix. do they come true to color for each one planted or are you getting different colors from each seed planted? have you had to cull out ones that don't match or are you letting them give variations? i've found that almost everyy bean i grow for several years will give me things to cull out if i want to keep it true to what i started with.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Forelle Fleiderfarben

Have you considered planting the beige ones to see what happens?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll resume the bean show. These are the WB #32's. One of the segregations of the WB #32 was an extremely vigorous half runner that produced over 500 beans on one plant. I called it Miss T as that was what we called my granddaughter on social media.

Miss T has come up with many different colors and shades but some characteristics have been fairly consistent each season. They can have two different patterns on each side of the same seed and have been fairly prolific. But they often split, much more so than other beans grown in the same conditions.

Miss T 6.jpg

Miss T 6 is a new segregation grown in 2017. I recorded it as a semi-runner but it was probably a half-runner, maybe a bit stunted that year.

Miss T Brown.jpg

Miss T Brown is a new segregation grown in 2019. This gives an example of the different patterns on different sides of the seeds.

Miss T Red 1.jpg

Miss T Red 1 is a new segregation grown in 2020.

Miss T Red 2A.jpg

Miss T Red 2A is a new segregation grown in 2021.

Miss T Red 2B.jpg

Miss T Red 2B is a new segregation grown in 2021. The 2B look similar to the 2A but side by side there is a difference in color. The 2B have more red.

Miss T Red 2C.jpg

Miss T Red 2C is a new segregation grown in 2021.

This concludes the Will Bonsall portion of this bean show. I have more to come.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
In 2016 I found a segregation in Blue Jay, a bush snap bean I was growing as a production bean. I got those beans from a company in Canada that had a license to ship to the US. I have no idea what it might have crossed with but it had to be a pole bean. I planted three seeds and each produced a different segregation, all were vigorous pole bens that were very productive. One of those plants almost filled a quart jar with dry beans after sorting.

I called one of those segregations Ausmus Holler after a valley in East Tennessee where my mother grew up. That's where the AH came from in these working names.

AH B1A.jpg

AH B1A is a pole bean that has repeated once. It was last grown in 2022.

AH B1B.jpg

AH B1B is a new segregation grown in 2021. This one is a bush.

AH B1C.jpg

AH B1C is a new segregation grown in 2021. This one is a pole.

AH B2.jpg

AH B2 has repeated once. It was grown in 2020 and is a pole.

AH B3.jpg

AH B3 is a new segregation grown in 2020. It is a pole.

That's it for the AH's.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the segregations out of Blue Jay produced a pole bean I called Voodoo. It was a black bean with a dark purple tint. It was the most productive bean I've ever grown. When first grown it segregated into a black and a white version, hence the VB initials.

VB 2A.jpg

VB 2A is a new segregation grown in 2020. It grew as a pole.

VB 2B3.jpg

VB 2B3 is a new segregation grown in 2021. This is a bush.

VB 2B4.jpg

VB 2B4 is a new segregation grown in 2021. It is also a bush.

Voodoo Black 3.jpg

VB 3 is a new segregation grown in 2021. A pole bean.

VB 3 Bush.jpg

VB 3 Bush has repeated once. It was grown in 2021 and has a slight green tint.

Voodoo Black 4.jpg

VB 4 is a new segregation, grown in 2020. A pole.

That is it for the VB's.

Latest posts