2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, my brief period of temporary seasonal employment has ended, so I can get caught up on the remaining 2023 bean results.

In a year with a lot of disappointments, there were also some surprising successes. One of my ongoing projects is a search for day-neutral varieties of historically daylength-sensitive tropical vegetables. Hyacinth beans are one of those, so I trial new varieties as I can. This year I trialed 3 varieties - and to my astonishment, all 3 proved to be day neutral! :celebrate

The first was "Khyati", a bush variety from Seeds of India. Much like the other bush variety I've grown previously, it flowered very quickly - about 30 days from planting, before any of the other beans had flowered. The plants were exceptionally vigorous, branched heavily, and continued to blossom all summer even when heavily laden with pods. Those pods were tiny (1 - 1.5") but borne in huge numbers. This variety is apparently bred for green-shelled or dry use, but the beans are tiny, the size of small green peas. The shellies I tested (which were a PITA to shell) even tasted much like peas when cooked. There were no problems with insects or diseases, and even the mice left them alone until late in the season.

To be honest, I was a bit discouraged by the tiny pods; and after the initial trial & some seed saving, I just let them go. The seed below is no more than 10% of the total - the stout plants fell over under the weight of the continually-developing pod set. I'd like to find a more efficient way to process the seeds & learn more about their usage, because despite the small seed size, the yield is impressively large. I think the seed count per plant actually rivals or surpasses most pole beans.
20230824_142232.jpg 20231210_143936.jpg
"Khyati", in bloom, and the 4 ounces of dry seed collected. The photos below are of the single plant pulled for testing as shellies, with all leaves removed to show the pods:
20230902_144153.jpg 20230902_145632.jpg

The other two hyacinth bean trials were "Early Meaty" and "Early #1", both from Asian Garden 2 Table in Florida (who post an awesome collection of Asian vegetable tutorials on y-tube). Both were purple-flowered pole varieties, planted side-by-side because given that all pole varieties I've tried previously were photo-period sensitive, I just wanted to see if seed production was possible. Much to my surprise, both bloomed in July, quickly set pods, and actually produced dry seed before some of my pole beans. I don't have a lot of photos, because that part of the garden was overcome by weeds until late in the season. If you look carefully, you can just see a few vines & purple flowers behind the white-flowered volunteer litchi tomato... and in my one attempt to photograph the flowers, the camera focused on the ground for some reason. :rolleyes: At least it shows the beautiful flower color.
20230826_151428.jpg 20230807_101801.jpg
Both varieties were obviously pole, but stunted into near-bush habit by the severe weed pressure. Both had nearly identical flowers & seeds; but the pods were very different. One had immature pods that were flat & snow pea-like (pictured below), while the other had fatter, fleshier pods. I plan to regrow both varieties for seed & culinary trials next year, hopefully under conditions which allow them to show their true potential. The black seeds below are of both varieties
20230807_102001.jpg 20231210_144946.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Really lovely photos @Zeedman, and such interesting results. I didn't realize that hyacinth beans could be grown so easily in the north, the plants are very attractive. They remind me of photos I've seen of bush runner beans (P. coccineus). I've always steered clear of them after my first failed try with Ruby Moon, and then I read that they can be toxic if not prepared properly so I never gave them another try. But I'd be really curious to try Khyati; if you're interested in a seed trade pm me. The flowers are gorgeous.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I requested Coree de Sang from Guy Dirix too, I find it looks exactly like Kiagara Mame so I'm going to grow it out and see if I can detect a difference. I have a feeling they're the same, but who knows. It's such a rare seedcoat. If it gets hit by fungal issues mid season, I'll consider that proof they're the same. lol

I had also mentioned how similar Coree de Sang and Kiagara Mame looked to the young fellow in Austria that I had gotten the bean from. He has grown both beans and the following was his observation and experince in their cultivation.

Yes you are right. Coré de Sang and Kiagara Mame look alike. But Coré the Sang was way more productive and so much more robust than Kiagara Mame. I had no success with Kiagara Mame, multiple times, even growing in pots. The plants were always weak and died quickly.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had also mentioned how similar Coree de Sang and Kiagara Mame looked to the young fellow in Austria that I had gotten the bean from. He has grown both beans and the following was his observation and experince in their cultivation.

Yes you are right. Coré de Sang and Kiagara Mame look alike. But Coré the Sang was way more productive and so much more robust than Kiagara Mame. I had no success with Kiagara Mame, multiple times, even growing in pots. The plants were always weak and died quickly.
Wow, I'm so glad you posted this @Bluejay77. I wondered if Kiagara Mame didn't like my garden, because 2 years in a row I (mostly) failed with it. I believe it was hit with bean seed flies last year (it stunted and never prospered) , and this year it was hit with fungal problems mid season and I only got a handful of seeds from it. I thought it might be one of those plants that really needs an environment like where it was bred/selected (Japan maybe?) and will not do well elsewhere. But now that I read this, maybe it's the variety itself. Generally I've found most beans do pretty good, this one was a puzzler. This is actually great news, because I love the seedcoat of Kiagara Mame so an easier, more vigorous version would be wonderful.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You've probably seen this @Bluejay77, but I thought everyone might enjoy seeing this neat offspring of your bean. I was so surprised to see the beige seeds in there. The off type pods look exactly like Dragon Langerie to me.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score

Wow, I'm so glad you posted this @Bluejay77. I wondered if Kiagara Mame didn't like my garden, because 2 years in a row I (mostly) failed with it. I believe it was hit with bean seed flies last year (it stunted and never prospered) , and this year it was hit with fungal problems mid season and I only got a handful of seeds from it. I thought it might be one of those plants that really needs an environment like where it was bred/selected (Japan maybe?) and will not do well elsewhere. But now that I read this, maybe it's the variety itself. Generally I've found most beans do pretty good, this one was a puzzler. This is actually great news, because I love the seedcoat of Kiagara Mame so an easier, more vigorous version would be wonderful.
This sounds like a perfect example of similar-looking seed coats on very dissimilar beans. Which is the reason I make a point of not growing two similar looking beans - or even similar-colored seed coats - in the same year. It would be a difficult cross to undo.

So it came as a shock to realize that purely by coincidence - because they all happened to meet the criteria for renewal - I grew 3 white-seeded beans in the rural plot this year. One was very late-flowering though (Tetovac), and the other two (the pole KY Wonder White, and bush Clem & Sarah's) were separated by several barrier crops. I've yet to have a bush/pole cross. :fl

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
You've probably seen this @Bluejay77, but I thought everyone might enjoy seeing this neat offspring of your bean. I was so surprised to see the beige seeds in there. The off type pods look exactly like Dragon Langerie to me.
I don't believe that I've seen this particular one about a Blue Jay cross. I think I saw something last year but don't remember who put that up somwhere on a website. I think the light colored seeds are a reverse. I 've never seen Blue Jay reverse with a light cream coloring in it's seeds. Obviously there has been a cross with something else. The striped pods are striped similar to Dragon Langerie but I think these outcrossed pods are still more slender and still look more green to me than DL. Dragon Langerie definitely has a yellow pod. I can't seem to see the yellow in his striped pods.

If you removed all the light colored seeds from Craig's photo of Bobby Blue Jay the remaining seeds look just like Blue Jay beans.

I hadn't remembered getting an email from Craig Boychuk. So just for the heck of it I did a general seach of all my email folders and sure enough up came his original email in the main folder from December 14, 2022 that I had never deleted. His email contained the same photos he uses on his No Coast website.

Sometimes I wonder what would I get if I grew Blue Jay in isolation and crossed it back with Comtesse de Chambord.

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Interesting bean story-- and good to learn of this new seed company too. They have some promising looking varieties in the making!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Interesting bean story-- and good to learn of this new seed company too. They have some promising looking varieties in the making!
I agree, it's nice to see someone keeping an eye out for new varieties and/or crosses showing up in their plantings, and experimenting like he is. Always nice to see the OP seed world get bigger.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i finished up getting all the remaining bean pods i'd reserved from shelling out bean this past fall put into the ten worm buckets.

it's always nice when i can get that space back in my room.

in past years a few times i have kept back so many extra bean pods that i would start up several worm buckets just to get them all digested by the coming planting time. this season i kept just enough back and they should all be fully digested by mid-May. :)

Latest posts