2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting.
I have been wanting to add more beans to our diet and have recently seen recipes for salads with beans and soups with beans.
NOW, for the controversial question-
What is/are your favorite bean(s) for chili?

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did so with Ruanda Rainbow last season. I made notes about colour and shape of every bean in the soil to have a control what would come out. (The rainbowy thing nearly vanished, by the way. Even the only pinkish one that was in the sample bag, produced only medium browns like most of the others. @Bluejay77 apparently made a similar experience.)
A fellow growing Nonna Agnes (a blue bean) claimed, "Beans that are in the direct sun are brown-gray while beans in the shade are intensely blue."

It is also said, I think, for blue beans that they need cool weather for the color to be good.

I wonder if it is something like that happening?

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Really, @ducks4you, I think chili bean preferences may depend on what you grew up with. We always had pinto beans. I saw recently that someone (Nichols Garden) thinks pinquitos make the best chili. To me, pinquitos are so tiny that I cannot imagine them in chili.

Vermont Bean sells a Chili Bean Mix that contains Soldier, Jacob's Cattle, and Light Red Kidney. I bet that would be good!

I think Whipple (that was another good bean!!) would be very good in chili. Early Warwick (not grown this one yet) looks like a smaller version of Whipple and is said to be very productive and easy/rewarding to grow for short season growers (rave comments about it in chili). I've also seen recommendations for Dolloff, Littleton, Hidatsa Red (unlike the others, this is a small red bean; I've grown this one), Eye of the Goat (Oyo de Cabra), and of course the classic Red Kidney bean.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Really, @ducks4you, I think chili bean preferences may depend on what you grew up with. We always had pinto beans. I saw recently that someone (Nichols Garden) thinks pinquitos make the best chili. To me, pinquitos are so tiny that I cannot imagine them in chili.

Vermont Bean sells a Chili Bean Mix that contains Soldier, Jacob's Cattle, and Light Red Kidney. I bet that would be good!

I think Whipple (that was another good bean!!) would be very good in chili. Early Warwick (not grown this one yet) looks like a smaller version of Whipple and is said to be very productive and easy/rewarding to grow for short season growers (rave comments about it in chili). I've also seen recommendations for Dolloff, Littleton, Hidatsa Red (unlike the others, this is a small red bean; I've grown this one), Eye of the Goat (Oyo de Cabra), and of course the classic Red Kidney bean.
I must be seed vulnerable right now. I just ordered them from Vermont Bean. ;)