2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bean update. I managed to get 194 pots of beans planted today!:th

I feel so great to have that much done, because being the 10th today I'm ten days late. But I still feel confident that all will be okay because of how amazingly well my beans dried last year when cut down and dried under cover. The direct seeded ones were the very last to dry down for sure, but they still made it so I figure I still have a 20 day jump on the season. I've got them planted in trays indoors with a fan blowing over them; I've actually made 2 improvements to my bean start technique this year. One, I used the fan over the trays and two I watered the pots much less this time. I think that will be a benefit since they don't need to be sopping wet to sprout.

My gosh @Bluejay77 , this was the first really close look I've had at the beans you sent me, I hadn't taken them out of the packets yet. They are such gorgeous beans, I am just so blown away by how incredible your collection is. Those 'Kitoba' beans are a truly sublime shade of lavender, just wonderful. Holding them in your hand is such a different experience than just looking at a photo. The 'Lucie' bean is shockingly marvelous too. I feel bean rich!!

I still have more pots to do tomorrow, but it's a start. The weather is looking real good so I'm hopeful. I do plan to sprinkle coffee grinds around the small plants when I finally set them out, to further discourage pest visitors. I'm all ready for bean-a-palooza!

:celebrate

wow! that's weeks too early for me here to risk. i'll be planting ours (direct sown) later this month. my early possibly sacrificial beans have not sprouted yet and the peas aren't up yet either.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of my beans will be direct sown later this month or very early June. Pole beans are alawys planted first. However I'm going to plant some Ping Zebra related limas in 16 oz styro cups this coming Sunday or Monday. Just as soon as they show signs of emerging from the potting mix they will go into the sun during the day and brought into the house when they are in shadows in the late afternoon. They must have an early start because of the extra length in maturity time.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wow! that's weeks too early for me here to risk. i'll be planting ours (direct sown) later this month. my early possibly sacrificial beans have not sprouted yet and the peas aren't up yet either.
No risk! No sacrifice @flowerbug! I am putting bean seeds in starter pots to avoid risk and sacrificial plants! This way I can avoid the fluctuations in early summer - excessive heat, cold temps, or too much rain. I put the bean pots in my greenhouse when the weather is bad to protect them. It also is a wonderful way to avoid that pressure one feels to hurry up and get seeds in the ground, because I've already got them planted and they can wait if need be. The last 2 years have been super successful seed crops because of the early potted start.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think i have pea sprouts, not sure as i didn't have much time yesterday to look closer, but i will check again in a bit after it warms up some more and i can get the peas and beans watered. i didn't see any signs yet of the beans sprouting but i'm hoping they'll start poking up soon. with the warmer weather they should be coming up soon.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No risk! No sacrifice @flowerbug! I am putting bean seeds in starter pots to avoid risk and sacrificial plants! This way I can avoid the fluctuations in early summer - excessive heat, cold temps, or too much rain. I put the bean pots in my greenhouse when the weather is bad to protect them. It also is a wonderful way to avoid that pressure one feels to hurry up and get seeds in the ground, because I've already got them planted and they can wait if need be. The last 2 years have been super successful seed crops because of the early potted start.
What size pots do you use to start your bean seeds Heirloomgal? And counting from the day that you sow them, how long do you find that you can hold them in the pots before they get too big?

Also, did you say that you sometimes run four bean plants up each bean pole?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i thought when you said "planted" that you meant putting them outside. :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What size pots do you use to start your bean seeds Heirloomgal? And counting from the day that you sow them, how long do you find that you can hold them in the pots before they get too big?

Also, did you say that you sometimes run four bean plants up each bean pole?
I use the standard size starter pots, I think that's a 4 inch pot, maybe 5? I've found that bean plants can stay in them happily for 20-30 days. And even then, I've grown 'extras' in the past just in case I need to fill in a gap, or one pot gets dropped, and have had those extras hang around in pots for even longer, and they still transplanted perfectly at 40 days. The trickiest part is getting them to sprout since the beans don't like being too wet, and it's very easy to overwater a starter pot as well as starter mixes being very water retentive. Once they're up though and in the sun they're super resilient. I love that I can hide the bean pots when it rains, because it seems like there is nothing a bean dislikes more than too much moisture.

Yes, I do 4 plants to a pole; I copied @Bluejay77 's method. I admit though in a few instances I've pushed the limit to see what I could get away with and 5 or 6 is possible, but the maturity is delayed a bit.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use the standard size starter pots, I think that's a 4 inch pot, maybe 5? I've found that bean plants can stay in them happily for 20-30 days. And even then, I've grown 'extras' in the past just in case I need to fill in a gap, or one pot gets dropped, and have had those extras hang around in pots for even longer, and they still transplanted perfectly at 40 days. The trickiest part is getting them to sprout since the beans don't like being too wet, and it's very easy to overwater a starter pot as well as starter mixes being very water retentive. Once they're up though and in the sun they're super resilient. I love that I can hide the bean pots when it rains, because it seems like there is nothing a bean dislikes more than too much moisture.

Yes, I do 4 plants to a pole; I copied @Bluejay77 's method. I admit though in a few instances I've pushed the limit to see what I could get away with and 5 or 6 is possible, but the maturity is delayed a bit.
Very interesting. I think I will try three bean plants per pole this year. Given the history of fungal diseases in our area good air circulation is a must, so four plants may be too thick and lush. You have inspired me to get a bunch of my beans going soon--in pots! The other day I was able to fill the trunk of my car with 4" pots that others had put out at the curb on recycling day, and we picked up a huge load of beautiful compost from our local landfill site so I am well stocked for sowing. Our landfill gives one 'scoop' from the front end loader (usually 2000 lbs) for the bargain price of just $8. It is the best deal in town.

Latest posts