2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea Heirloomgal. I gave it a go, pinching two Trionfo Violetto plants above the first set of leaves, two above the second set of leaves, and keeping two plants 'unpinched'. It will be interesting to see how it goes. And then I couldn't resist following Phaedra's lead by placing the two long cuttings in a glass of water-- to see if they produce roots. ;)
It's been one week, and one of the bean cuttings that I placed in a glass of water is forming white roots. I'll leave it in the water for another week and see how it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_20230530_175505877.jpg
    IMG_20230530_175505877.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 47

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's been one week, and one of the bean cuttings that I placed in a glass of water is forming white roots. I'll leave it in the water for another week and see how it goes.
If that works, and you end up actually being able to plant that sprouted bean cutting- my life with beans is about to change in an amazing way!!! Please keep us posted!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm... I've kind of been gardening on the fly this year, and building my "playlist" as I plant. Don't think I've posted my bean list, since it has been until now a work in progress:

Beans:
Blue Blockeye (pole wax)
Clem & Sarah's Big Bean (bush dry?)
Chester (pole shelly)
Dolloff (pole dry)
Emerite (pole snap, main crop)
King Horticultural (pole shelly/dry)
Kentucky Wonder White #191 (pole snap)
Striped Cornfield (pole snap/shelly/dry)
Tetovac (pole dry)
Toby Poe's Purple (pole purple snap)
True Red Cranberry (pole dry)
Uzice Speckled Wax (pole wax/shelly)
Woods Mountain Crazy Bean (bush snap)

Limas:
Berrier's #2 (pole)
Seiva (pole)

Runner beans:
Tarahumara Tekomari
Tucomares Chocolate

Favas:
Black Russian
Crimson Flowered
(it will be interesting to see how they take this heat)

Cowpeas/yardlongs:
3-feet-plus (yardlong)
Galante (yardlong, a lot of people requested last year's seed)
Kirby (cowpea)
Pink Eye Purple Hull (cowpea)
Yancheng Bush (bush yardlong)
Zipper Cream (cowpea)

Peas:
Bill Jump (soup)
Gruno Rosyn (soup)
Limestone (snow)
Sugar Lace II (snap)

Hyacinth beans: (all new trials, to test for photo-period sensitivity)
Early Meaty (pole)
Early #1 (pole)
Khyati (bush, white seeded)

Peanut - Argentinian White
Adzuki - Murasaki (purple)
Tepary Bean - Virus Free White
Chickpea - PI 359241

Soybeans:
Aan Tu Bai Hua Lu Da Dou
Cha Kura Kake (edamame)
Early Hakucho (edamame)
Ezonishiki (edamame)
Gardensoy 12 (edamame)
Gion (edamame)
Grignon 17
Grignon 18
Hatsutaka (edamame)
Kharkovskaya Zernokormovaya
Natsu Kurakake (edamame)
Oosodefuri (edamame)
PI 194626
PI 522192 A
Sioux
SY 9514014
Zelena Echo 3

Favas, limas, runner beans, and peanuts are up; bean transplants just emerging now. All of the older soybeans will be sprouted en masse on plates, and any which sprout potted.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What article is that?
The Globe and Mail article. They even did a time lapse of a sprouting Bluejay bean for the online article. The photo they took of the bean was really good too. It was nice to see the Bluejay bean featured so nicely, though I was quoted in there as saying something I never said (nor believe). Sigh.

Some network bean pictures. I'm so glad that I had so many transplants to put in because it has been hot and I feel virtually no worry about the transplants, it's the seeds that I worry more about. Looks like your neck of the woods is pretty hot too @Bluejay77 , you're only a degree or 2 above us these last days.

All 4 seeds of Starlite sprouted in the pots, one seed kept back just in case. So far so good.
20230531_194556.jpg

My last chance with Zugdidi, my last 4 of 8 seeds. I hope it produces this time! I chose a different garden for it this year.
20230531_193703.jpg

Lusaka and Parker's Half Runner network beans. I put seeds in with the transplants, but I'm glad for the plants - a safer bet. Hope I see sprouts soon. 🤞
20230531_193954.jpg

This network bean is turning out to be so vigorous and healthy. I'm really impressed with it so far.
20230531_194456.jpg

Some of @Zeedman's beans. I'll probably thin this one to 4 or 5 when they've established a bit better.
20230531_195201.jpg

I usually put 4 seeds to a pole, but given how big the seeds were I went with 3 plants instead.
20230531_195141.jpg

All soybean transplants are in, I have a bit of extra space to fill in behind them. Black Panther, Maple Glen, Ugra Saja, Tankuro, Cha Cha Kura, Hoseki, Musan. Copper antannae centre.
20230531_194701.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've not gotten a final list together yet, i suspect i will make the list after i finish planting. no beans will go in for another day or two depending upon how Thursday's squish and melon plantings go.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Globe and Mail article. They even did a time lapse of a sprouting Bluejay bean for the online article. The photo they took of the bean was really good too. It was nice to see the Bluejay bean featured so nicely, though I was quoted in there as saying something I never said (nor believe). Sigh.
I have not seen the article nor have I been sent one by email to look at. I would like to see a copy of it. They probably want me to take a year of online subscription to the paper to be able to view the article. Then again if I had a subscription I would not know what publishing date to look for. Please scan it and email me a copy if you can.

It's been hot here again. Just like at planting time last year. I'm afraid to put seed in the ground. however the raised bed plots behind my deer fence the owner of the property would allow me to turn on the lawn sprinkler to wet down the soil and cool the soil down. I've visited yesterday my other plot where I have had trouble with pole beans every time they have been planted there and I asked the owner if I could wet down the plot with the lawn sprinkler and the answer was no. His well is only 100 feet deep and he is always concerned about it. I had decided that only bush beans are going to be planted there from now on and if I don't get a good bush bean crop from that plot this year it will be my last year there. The only thing I have planted is pole beans here at my house and I can cool down the soil by turing on the lawn sprinkler and putting more water in the soil.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have not seen the article nor have I been sent one by email to look at. I would like to see a copy of it. They probably want me to take a year of online subscription to the paper to be able to view the article. Then again if I had a subscription I would not know what publishing date to look for. Please scan it and email me a copy if you can.

It's been hot here again. Just like at planting time last year. I'm afraid to put seed in the ground. however the raised bed plots behind my deer fence the owner of the property would allow me to turn on the lawn sprinkler to wet down the soil and cool the soil down. I've visited yesterday my other plot where I have had trouble with pole beans every time they have been planted there and I asked the owner if I could wet down the plot with the lawn sprinkler and the answer was no. His well is only 100 feet deep and he is always concerned about it. I had decided that only bush beans are going to be planted there from now on and if I don't get a good bush bean crop from that plot this year it will be my last year there. The only thing I have planted is pole beans here at my house and I can cool down the soil by turing on the lawn sprinkler and putting more water in the soil.
I forwarded the article to you in email Russ, from the email she sent me with it, let me know if you have any trouble accessing it in there. One of the links she included did seem to me like I needed a subscription to the G & M, which of course I don't have, so I couldn't get into that one I don't think (the 'side story' it was titled). I'll be curious to know what you think of it. Much in there is the standard climate narrative points, not my cup of tea, though I did like the visuals a lot. I love a great picture of a bean! lol

I was worried about planting the bean seeds when I did because it was so hot, but I felt trapped between a rock and a hard place. Last year my direct seeded beans baaarely made it to maturity because we had an slightly early fall. I felt like if I waited past June 1st I may not get to harvest anything, yet, if I planted and the beans had trouble germinating because of the heat, I lose them that way. Mind you, all my gardens are in my backyard and I really pamper the beans glancing over them several times a day and making sure they have enough moisture and all is looking good. I also have been constantly poking my finger in the soil to see how hot it is, and so far it has been actually fairly cool or at least reasonably lukewarm. I went swimming with my daughter in a creek yesterday and the sand on the banks was scorching hot - it made me think gardens with sandy soil must really be at risk in heat like this. It seemed to have zero protection from the heat of the sun. My gardens are pretty rich in organic matter after years of adding to it, so I think they do have that little buffer of organic matter protection. But still, I do worry. The network beans aren't mine, so I have a tinge of paranoia about failing with someone else's beans! So far I haven't failed you yet with my fairly large grow outs, so knock on wood. I hope to keep it that way! Thank God for transplants because I'd be a nervous wreck with all the network beans I'm growing!

Last edited:

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal and @Bluejay77, really curious to see this article you guys are referencing but ran into the Globe and Mail subscriber paywall. There really aren't a lot of seed articles these days (or ever?) so I'd be interested to see what they had to say - do either of you have a way to share? I may break down and subscribe but news from Toronto may be wasted on me being in Indianapolis.

Latest posts