2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i always hate the anxiety stage where i'm not sure if anything is happening or not.

Oh boy, can I relate!

Do you not hand water the rows where you plant your beans? Or do you rely only on rain?

Well, nearly all the network beans are up, or at least sprouted, around their poles. Yay!

@Bluejay77 I also grew Mrs. Kahl this year and so if I do well with them I'll send you some (if you're still interested in trying them). Germination has not been super great & I think the seeds I bought were old. I've had to replant some seeds, but if those come up without problems I'll be in good shape with that row.

I measured my 'Mongeta de Talarn' bean again for fun, it's grown half a foot since the last time! We'll be having terrible weather for the next 3 days, 13 C/55F tomorrow and only slightly better for the 2 days after that. Argh. Variable crappy weather is the pits. Hope the beans are okay.

eta: No groundhogs captured. Yet.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh boy, can I relate!

Do you not hand water the rows where you plant your beans? Or do you rely only on rain?

i keep it as evenly moist as i can (which means i may water lightly two or three times a day).

we've had zero rains for quite a long time so, no, i cannot rely upon rains some seasons. it just happened that the rains here started a few minutes ago. i hope we get enough that i don't have to water again today or tomorrow. we'll see how it goes...

eta: No groundhogs captured. Yet.

what are you using for bait? they like peanut butter and sunflower seeds.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I also grew Mrs. Kahl this year and so if I do well with them I'll send you some (if you're still interested in trying them). Germination has not been super great & I think the seeds I bought were old. I've had to replant some seeds, but if those come up without problems I'll be in good shape with that row.
What type of bean is Mrs. Kahl, snap or dry ?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i keep it as evenly moist as i can (which means i may water lightly two or three times a day).

we've had zero rains for quite a long time so, no, i cannot rely upon rains some seasons. it just happened that the rains here started a few minutes ago. i hope we get enough that i don't have to water again today or tomorrow. we'll see how it goes...

what are you using for bait? they like peanut butter and sunflower seeds.
Cantaloupe. The peanut butter catches squirrels for me, that's about it.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What type of bean is Mrs. Kahl, snap or dry ?
As far as I know it's a dry bean.
20230223_191243-jpg.55327

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
As far as I know it's a dry bean.
I was going to say bush bean when I saw the seed like Ridgerunner has the info on it. It is very pretty. I like the strong dark grey or black markings around the eye. It looks to me like a strain of Sulphur bean. Yes I will take some. You got that from Prairie Garden Seeds in Saskatchewan.

The plot that I was going to grow bush beans in this year is so dry and hard that I'm not sure I will even plant that plot this season. Pole beans are planted of course in my back yard, west and south flowerbed. Also finished planting all the pole beans I had planed for the two large raised beds behind my deer fence yesterday. The only rain I have seen here since I came back from Florida is just very light drizzle. Today would make it the third time we've had this kind of precipitation. It has supposedly been raining (drizzling) here since this morning early. The fellow who owns the property where my large raised beds are at text me around noon today that his rain gauge registers 0 rain.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been dry here too, no rain for several weeks, maybe more. It's raining outside now though, finally. @flowerbug & I seem to have quite similar weather patterns.

you're NE of us and our prevailing winds are usually from the SW, so, yes, pretty much! :) except you have a shorter season (and much nicer garden soil!). :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
According to this a dry bush bean.

Do you have anymore Highlight seed. I planted some in flowerpots in the backyard only one came up and it doesn't look healthiy. Not sure if it will make any new seed. All I have is seed from 2016 and I would have to go through the whole process of stabalizing it. I thought maybe you have some good seed left.

Latest posts