2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first photo on top is where the soil is rather loamy. Has good sand content and doesn't crust easily. This is the plot where the majority of the broken heads appeared and where it looks like most of the possible damping off plants occured. Maybe that was just the luck of the draw according to the seeds that were planted.

i wonder if it just got to hot and dry and the seed heads cooked? i've had to water here some days twice or more a day to keep things evenly moist and i have a fair amount of clay in the soil so that also helps hold the moisture. i don't have mulch available so i just have to water instead. so far i've had good germination with direct planting and no presoaking.

the potting soil may provide more moisture retention for sandier soils and also perhaps some insulation and cooling effect. not sure though.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
First major rain of the year here last night 1.3 inches (3.302 cm). Hopefully it will benfit the pole beans.

lucky you! we're still hoping, but it looks like these storms coming at us now might be strong enough to finally get us wet other than a few drops at a time.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 after posting the Botosani Splash bean pic above I went googling around about info for it, didn't come up with much. Have you ever seen a pole bean do that, flower like it is before climbing?
No honestly I don't think I've ever seen a pole bean start blooming before it started climbing. That is truely unusual. Maybe that means it's a very early bean.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Found these plants in such a state this evening! :mad::mad::mad: Not any network beans thank goodness. I kinda hope the poor dead groundhog I saw today on the road just down the street was the one that did this. Not that I wish harm upon creatures as a rule, but I highly suspect that is the species, if not the actual creature, doing this. Of course, I don't know for certain. I've never had this happen before to my beans. I set another trap.
20230629_191711.jpg

I have exactly one P. vulgaris in jail, due to protecting the soybeans. I wish I could put this around all of them now!
20230629_191520.jpg

Starting to wonder if Frauenbohne really is a bush bean??
20230627_154044.jpg

This is a surprise. Network bean Dead Man's Tooth is also flowering and not yet climbing. Huh.
20230629_191337.jpg

Network bean Echte Kipfler. I guess pole beans more or less grow UP first, and then OUT. Because this plant has breached its support already which is probably 7 feet. There's no where left to go, and it's not yet July. A few are doing this. Maybe I should clip the very ends to the last node.
20230629_191136.jpg

My little miracle bean Genoll de Crist. :)
20230629_191414.jpg

It's odd how some beans get tangles like this. It was doing fine climbing the pole and then just went sort of haywire.
20230629_191221.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Found these plants in such a state this evening!
When I used to get Deer visiting my offsite gardens. Occassionly my beans would look like this. It looks like Deer have munched on your beans to me. When Deer find a place where they like what they ate. They seem to remember it and come back again and more frequently. I hope you aren't going to have deer problems. Deer like beans and tomatoes and tomato plants.

Latest posts