2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i didn't plant the front outside the fence garden and i still wanted more bulk bean production so those were moved inside the fenced gardens.
Might it be worth it, as far as deer go, to instead of fence off the outside perimeter to an exterior bean garden, to 'fence' over top of it? Like chicken wire stretched across a frame you could lay across the top of the area? With all the chicken wire rolls I've bought this year, I have found them to be pretty inexpensive.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Might it be worth it, as far as deer go, to instead of fence off the outside perimeter to an exterior bean garden, to 'fence' over top of it? Like chicken wire stretched across a frame you could lay across the top of the area? With all the chicken wire rolls I've bought this year, I have found them to be pretty inexpensive.

if i'm spending money on fencing of any kind it will be to finish what i've started. with about 500 more feet of fence i would be able to enclose 21,000 sq ft of garden space and reduce or eliminate deer, rabbit and groundhog problems. chicken wire fencing is not durable enough.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
the other thing that happens to beans that will rule a variety out for me is when the seeds get too easily marked up by moisture - it may not ruin the seed for replanting but it sure doesn't look good.
I think Koronis Purple is like that. If the pods are dry and I don't get to picking them fast enough the purple will be faded out in spots where the damp pod touched the seed alot.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Went out cruising bean rows tonight and tucking wandering vines back to where they need to be. Most know where to go. It's a beautiful summer evening, a lovely breeze flowing through the garden. So peaceful and serene.

I'm grateful that, for all my initial little troubles at the beginning of the season, all the plants seem to have caught their stride and are growing well. We had rain again last night, and then a nice warm day so I have been off the hook for watering since last weeks rainstorm. Everything has plenty of moderate moisture. Haven't seen any bees buzzing around the poles either which is nice, even though many are in flower. I think my theory about runner beans drawing bees here might be right, since I have none this year I see a lot less bees too.

@Artorius you were right after all; those Frauenbohne beans looked so much like they were going to climb, but they haven't. They have just grown really tall and skinny, with flowers on their tips instead of runners. They are mighty tall though, the tallest bush beans I think I've ever seen. I tied them up to sticks tonight because I'm not sure about them holding up a set of pods on those bushes, without flopping over onto the ground.

If I was more ambitious, I would get out there with a pad and paper right now and write down which plants have beans on them already. I know I saw some on Padleges today. But I'm not energized enough for it, lol.

Oh, the flowers on the Prince Purple plants are quite gorgeous too.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wouldn't be hard for me to make a list of which plants have beans, because there is only one! Here are Blooming Prairie bush snap, which have the honour of being the earliest snap beans in our garden this year. Apparently they are more of a semi-runner, so I gave them some twigs to climb up; makes them look like clothes hanging out to dry on a line! 😍

Attachments

• IMG_20230710_064748740~2.jpg
    IMG_20230710_064748740~2.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts