2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Ladyreneer

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I couldn't resist placing some pretty Andromeda seeds in my hand for a quick photo. These did really well even with all the rain we've had this year. Some of the other beans weren't so fortunate.

Attachments

• 20230823_145116.jpg
    20230823_145116.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 52

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I should probably wait to post pics because I’ve only opened a pod or two of these beans but I liked them so much I‘m posting anyway. Kid in a candy shop syndrome! 🍬

First Prince Purple pod dried! My first grow out of this one. A beauty!
40AD10C2-A808-49A2-A620-D863F4FB466A.jpeg

wardrobe change
563AD8AC-A5A1-4042-ACD0-EB8BFC0503B1.jpeg

This bean has been so frustrating!👇This is the second year I’ve tried growing it and had problems. Last year they simply failed to thrive, probably because of bean seed flies. This year it had mould issues, the worst hit bean of all of them. In the future it’ll need a very open, isolated spot. But I like it so much I’m going to try next year too. We’ll see how many beans I get when the pods dry up.🤞
‘Kiagara Mame’.
CDBEA0A6-C5CF-4622-B9CC-CE9233FF61AF.jpeg
72754BA7-3B8B-468A-AD32-22CD16021CF7.jpeg

I almost didn’t grow this bean this season, but I’m glad I did. ‘Selma Zebra’. It’s a really resilient, productive and early bean. Was a good eating bean too. Not the best I’ve ever had but still worthy. The seeds are kinda pretty.
FEF6AC0A-0810-437F-8135-7F847B20AF4B.jpeg

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is my second summer of growing dry beans, and I am wondering when to quit watering them. Is it okay to stop irrigating once most of the pods have set-- even if the plant is still green and lush?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is my second summer of growing dry beans, and I am wondering when to quit watering them. Is it okay to stop irrigating once most of the pods have set-- even if the plant is still green and lush?
I am going to stop watering my beans when a good portion of the pods have yellowed. If the pods are green and look like they have just begun to show seed development. I'm affraid the plants could become stressed if I stop watering and the seed might not fill out well. Poorly fill out seed is usually poorly germinating seed also. I think a once a week watering regime should be good. About and inch of water a week. Of course experience will be the best teacher.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

they may take some time to fully develop the seeds so i'd keep them regularly watered twice a week when it is hot and sunny enough. the size of the bean seed can play a role in how long it takes so the bigger the longer it seems to take.

if the weather cooperates i won't harvest until they've mostly all dried down enough and i only have a few left to finish drying so i can put them in the paper bags and they'll be ok like that until i can shell them out. i dry down the pods that aren't fully ready in box tops or flats so i don't have mold or spoiling. it is really high humidity this time of the year here so all my drying and storage is in the house where there is some dehumidifcation running.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uzice Speckled Wax isn't a strong climber for me either, bearing most pods within the first 2-3 feet - but bearing heavily in that zone. Richard stated that it was a strong climber for him though.

uzice was a fairly strong climber for me, i grew it in 2012
Both are quotes from the 2020 bean thread. I'm reminded of them because I grew "Uzice Speckled Wax" again this year for renewal; and as with "Uzice" last year, very different results than in years past. Grown in the heavily restored soil of my home plot, it took awhile to start climbing, to where I was becoming concerned. But when it started climbing, it REALLY took off. They reached the top of their 6' trellis, and the growth is so dense I can hardly find the beans! One of the few bright spots in a mostly disappointing bean year.

I finally figured out my photo issue! :celebrate The phone's USB setting was on file transfer, not photo. I had suspected that, but couldn't find the setting (it was under 'gallery').
20230819_194329.jpg

20230824_123243.jpg

Uzice Speckled Wax 2023

Amazingly, even though there is already a heavy pod set, the plants continue to flower & set pods. I'm picking these newer pods for snaps... guess I get to both have my cake & eat it too.

The red flowers in the background are the Tarahumara runner beans, which are also making up for their slow start. Lots of hummingbirds on those, I'll try to get a photo (which should be easy, since they often hover within arms length).

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Adzuki beans grow very well in pots (which also keeps them from being decimated by rodents). I'm growing "Murasaki" this year; it blooms very late, and its DTM pushes the limits of my growing season. Fortunately, it goes from flower to seed very quickly... so barring the unforeseen, I should get plenty of seed.
20230824_130550.jpg

20230824_130519.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Both are quotes from the 2020 bean thread. I'm reminded of them because I grew "Uzice Speckled Wax" again this year for renewal; and as with "Uzice" last year, very different results than in years past. Grown in the heavily restored soil of my home plot, it took awhile to start climbing, to where I was becoming concerned. But when it started climbing, it REALLY took off. They reached the top of their 6' trellis, and the growth is so dense I can hardly find the beans! One of the few bright spots in a mostly disappointing bean year.

I finally figured out my photo issue! :celebrate The phone's USB setting was on file transfer, not photo. I had suspected that, but couldn't find the setting (it was under 'gallery').
View attachment 59921
View attachment 59923
Uzice Speckled Wax 2023

Amazingly, even though there is already a heavy pod set, the plants continue to flower & set pods. I'm picking these newer pods for snaps... guess I get to both have my cake & ear it too.

The red flowers in the background are the Tarahumara runner beans, which are also making up for their slow start. Lots of hummingbirds on those, I'll try to get a photo (which should be easy, since they often hover within arms length).
Uzice Speckled Wax grew very large and vigorous for me last year, over 6ft for sure.

Ladyreneer

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

View attachment 59921
View attachment 59923
Uzice Speckled Wax 2023

Amazingly, even though there is already a heavy pod set, the plants continue to flower & set pods. I'm picking these newer pods for snaps... guess I get to both have my cake & eat it too.

Beautiful bean crop, Zeedman! They were definitely climbers here as well and kept producing and producing for me. Wonderful bean! 😃
*Kudos for figuring out the photo issue also!