2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here we are a brand new year. This is the beginning of our 11th year and the start of our second decade. I hope I will still be here at the end of this decade. Yours truely (me) just turned 77 years on December 22nd. Who would like to take over if I am not able. Well hopefully there is plenty of time to consider that eventuality. In the meantime we have plenty to celebrate besides the new year. New growers and contributors to this thread have come by this past year. Lots of great comaradery making it great to be a part of this group. New bean afficionados always welcome. This past year too, we poured out a great heap of collective knowledge and I'm sure it helped growers and readers of the Little Easy Bean Network thread in their bean growing endevors. Last but not least the photos of the many bean varieties were more than just beautiful. I think they were awe inspiring works of mother nature's art. Especially to those new to wanting to get into growing and collecting marvelous beans.

I do have a new list of priority beans that could use a grow out. The seed is in small quanitity and often the year grown is not known. New varieties keep trickling into this collection each year. Some of these are carryovers from 2022.

Priority Bean Grow Out List

Variety names in Red text means that all seeds of that variety have been sent out to a grower.

1. Algarve - Pole - Snap
2. Andikove - Bush Dry
3. Auntie Wilder's - Pole Snap
4. Bezova Ze Smolijanu - Pole Dry
5. Black Bandy - Pole Lima
6. Black Star Bolita - Pole - one sample of 8 seeds left
7. Brazil Little Black - Semi Runner From Brazil named by Robert Lobitz
8. Carolina Red Stick - Pole Snap
9. Cream Colored Fall - Bush - Dry,Snap?
10. Dean Family Greasy Cutshort - Pole
11. Donald Todd Half Runner - Pole, Semi Runner ? - Dry, Snap?
12. Doty India #1 - Pole
13. Drabo - Bush Dry
14. Dule - Pole, Use Unknown
15. Etna - Bush Dry, Shelly
16. Fairy Crutchfield - Old 1930's bush Cranberry Bean
17. Fat Man - Pole Snap West Virginia Heirloom
18. Fox Family Greasy - Pole Snap, Full Bean
19. Freckles - Bush Dry
20. Frauenbohne - Bush Dry
21. George Washington Fall Bean - Pole Dry
22. Goose - Pole Dry
23. Grandma Barnett - Pole - Dry Snap? Grown by Frank Barnett's Grandmother
24. Granny - Pole Snap
25. Hastings - Pole Stringless Snap once sold by the Hastings Seed Co. Of Atlanta, Georgia
26. Headrick Greasy Cutshort - Pole Snap
27. Krupke Dutch - Bush Dry
28. Larson Family Swedish - One Sample Left
29. Lazy Daisy - Pole Greasy - Full Bean
30. Lil Daisy - Pole Greasy - Full Bean
31. Maria Amazilitei - Pole Italian snap bean
32. Melungeon - Pole, Maybe Snap
33. Murusiedda Rossa - Pole Dry
34. Nassieddu Viola - Pole
35. Old Time Golden Stick - Pole Dry
36. Pink Tenders - Pole Snap
37. Russian Soup - Bush Dry
38. Serrano - Only 7 seeds left. Growth Habit Unknown
39. Striped Double Hull Fall - One Sample of 12 Seeds
40. Tennessee Cutshort - Pole Snap
41. Tennessee Mountain Climber - Pole
42. Tevio Nun - Semi Runner
43. Tunny - Pole Dry
44. Yooni's Ennie Bona - Pole Dry

Last edited:

nune

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hope your new year festivities are going well!
1. I would love to do a growout of a bean to contribute to the network, but I have a very small apartment backyard garden. Plus, I have plans to grow dry beans out there too. Do any of the varieties you list have small enough plants to fit in a container or a yard corner? And to prevent crossbreeding, aren't related to dry beans from the North/South American continents?
2. The beans I ordered last year independently from Quail Seeds and plan to grow are Covelo/Round Valley Bush Beans and "Yessica's Inca Bean". Both make me excited to grow! Here's images of them. (Top is Yessica, Bottom is Covelo.)

s427523656761687877_p402_i1_w471.png
s427523656761687877_p105_i4_w250.png

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
1. I would love to do a growout of a bean to contribute to the network, but I have a very small apartment backyard garden. Plus, I have plans to grow dry beans out there too. Do any of the varieties you list have small enough plants to fit in a container or a yard corner? And to prevent crossbreeding, aren't related to dry beans from the North/South American continents?
I do have some bush varieties that the plants grow to around 12 inches tall. Those would probably be most suited to container of flowerpot growing. A couple of beans that come to mind right off hand would be Fruhe Goldbohne, Read Krobbe, and a snap bean called Red Valentine. Give me some time to go through my bean list and I will try to recall how some varieties grew that last time I've grow them. I have even recorded the height of some of the bush varieties I have grown. Container of flowerpot grown beans will not produce as much seed as plants that are allowed to be grown in the ground. I have grown some bush varieties in flowerpots myself almost every year for the last 10 years. All the beans I grow their lineage all can be traced to North or South America. All Vulgaris, Coccineus, and Lunatus beans are a product of western hemisphere domestication.

nune

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I do have some bush varieties that the plants grow to around 12 inches tall. Those would probably be most suited to container of flowerpot growing. A couple of beans that come to mind right off hand would be Fruhe Goldbohne, Read Krobbe, and a snap bean called Red Valentine. Give me some time to go through my bean list and I will try to recall how some varieties grew that last time I've grow them. I have even recorded the height of some of the bush varieties I have grown. Container of flowerpot grown beans will not produce as much seed as plants that are allowed to be grown in the ground. I have grown some bush varieties in flowerpots myself almost every year for the last 10 years.
Can you keep me updated on that?

Latest posts