2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Took some more bean pics from 2022's grow out.

Yer Fasuli
Bush, snap. Must be Turkish judging from the name. Has pretty incredible resistance to moisture related issues for a bush bean.
20230101_224247_resized.jpg

Solwezi
from @Zeedman
Pole, dry. Such a very lovely bean, the colour is very, very close to Ntingi but not quite that pink.
20230101_230322_resized.jpg
20230101_230827_resized.jpg

Gaucho
Bush, snap & dry. A wax type. I didn't grow enough of these to try them steamed so no idea what they taste like.
20230101_231530_resized.jpg

Climbing French
Semi-runner, snap bean. I didn't have great luck with this one last year, and baaarely collected any seeds. But I had a really good run with it this time around. The seed quality is exceptional, and I think that that is a varietal characteristic. Didn't try it, but I bet it makes a fantastic snap bean.
20230101_232016_resized.jpg

Mrs. Fortune
Pole, snap. HSL speaks very highly of this bean, and now that I've grown it I can see why. It is a really early variety for a pole and it's also an incredibly high yielding bean. The pods were green splashed with purple. This is a really good bean for short season areas or challenging summers.
20230101_232312_resized.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, they are larger and more oblong. I think the vines are longer too. Here they are side by side. You can't really tell from the photo (my device can't take good pictures of dark beans) but the Malawi beans are a nicer green, a deeper more rich shade.
View attachment 54328

thanks! that's a nice picture even if it is dark. :) it answers the question. if you do want to lighten pictures up there are programs that can do that (and even if you don't have a pc to run them they're probably available on-line someplace to use). on my pc i use GIMP, but i'm running Linux and it's a different world than the MSWindows world or the Macs.

as far as color of the beans of FPJ i've had them do ok in small quantities and be much darker some times than other times. developmental and soil quality issues. the ones i grew in the pot last year did great in terms of shape and size but the color of some of them is lighter than the original beans. it's ok, they can now have more chances since i was able to refresh my seeds at last enough that they'll be ok for a few more years. :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello again Russ. I've grown out for you twice. Now that I'm settled on some acreage again, but now in Southern WA, I'd like to be considered.

Anything you would like me to grow will be fine, should you approve my help. I'm zone 8b, Vancouver WA.

Thanks much.
-BW
Give me a PM and let me know what your name is. My address label software is all saved in real names not screen names. I found one person in my records with a Vancouver, WA address but no grow outs associated with their name just a purchase. I will save your name and address and I will add your screen name to the name on the file for your address label.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Solwezi
from @Zeedman
Pole, dry. Such a very lovely bean, the colour is very, very close to Ntingi but not quite that pink.
Up pops a variety name that the last person it was sent to never returned any new seed. Your photo looks more like Solwezi #2 on my website (page Net 8). The Solwezi photo I have is a more elongated seed and slightly kidney shaped. Interesting you did your photo with all the eye of the beans turned away from your camera. Sometimes that is a revealing marker. I wonder if your Solwezi is the same as the one I don't have anymore.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Belated Happy New Year to you all!🍀

Hello @Bluejay77 ,
I would like to ask you if my returned network beans have hopefully already reached you (or have you news that they have arrived in Linden)? I sent them on Dec. 14th and I am getting slightly uneasy..
I also don't have your address label matched with your real name and screen name. When seeds are returned and I put away seed in the freezer with new location labels. I pull out all the return packet labels and save them. I went through the little stack of labels i have for this past season and there in not one marked with Germany on it. So your package has not come back yet. It could be that the USDA inspectors are very busy in Linden, New Jersey inspecting small seed lots packages that have come back into the U.S.

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Every year, in mid-February, I plant beans whose seeds I have in very small quantities. They grow in pots on window sills. In this way, last year, I multiplied the seeds of such beans:
I'll be trying this method myself, to get a cross out of Pink Tip Greasy and a day-neutral variety. It's clear to me now that it is very photoperiod sensitive, not flowering until 4th September, and by sowing in April/May the nights are already too short for its liking.
Do you have to use growlights for these February beans? I'm guessing you harvest by summer and then plant the seeds for a 2nd crop?

Latest posts