2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Eleanor

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I believe Mongeta Del Ganxet is a pole bean. If I can find room this year, I will be growing it. I grew it last year too, though it didn't do well.

Mongeta del Ganxet is indeed a pole bean that matures late in southeast Michigan. Due to its fabulous culinary reputation, I've grown it three seasons each time hoping that the next season it'd impress me enough to keep its space in the garden; after season 3 it lost its spot, though it does do well for a friend ~30 minutes southish of me.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner I finally got that photo of the Pigeon pea you wanted to see with the white powder rubbed off. Looks like two seeds where a weevil ate his way out.

Black Pigeon Peas.jpg

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most likely, there is a bean weevil that attacks pigeon peas (I see a LOT of bad seed in anything coming out of the Phillipines).

So they actually ARE black. Interesting. I should probably pass on growing them (I'm way too far north to successfully grow pigeon peas.) but, if no one else asks for them, and you really ARE going to throw out anything no one wants send them to me, and I can at least keep them safe until I can find someone (I have freezer space.)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
So they actually ARE black. Interesting. I should probably pass on growing them (I'm way too far north to successfully grow pigeon peas.) but, if no one else asks for them, and you really ARE going to throw out anything no one wants send them to me, and I can at least keep them safe until I can find someone (I have freezer space.)
You got them. I'll send them out to you on my next post office run.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mongeta del Ganxet is indeed a pole bean that matures late in southeast Michigan. Due to its fabulous culinary reputation, I've grown it three seasons each time hoping that the next season it'd impress me enough to keep its space in the garden; after season 3 it lost its spot, though it does do well for a friend ~30 minutes southish of me.

The Mongeta del Ganxet Xic ecotype is said to be earlier than the other Ganxets.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score

Garrett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm in the UK and about to start sowing my beans and I have an identification request please. Does anyone recognise these beans? I received them in a seed swap and they came with a name, La Vache, but no other information. I'd really like to know if they are bush beans or climbing beans before I plant them, but haven't been able to find any reference to them on Google.

The photo shows the brown and white colouring accurately.
IMG_20230427_114245540_HDR-01.jpeg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm in the UK and about to start sowing my beans and I have an identification request please. Does anyone recognise these beans? I received them in a seed swap and they came with a name, La Vache, but no other information. I'd really like to know if they are bush beans or climbing beans before I plant them, but haven't been able to find any reference to them on Google.

The photo shows the brown and white colouring accurately.

Garrett, This information is from the Bohnen-Atlas website. I found the name of the bean with the growth habit and they are pole beans. They will climb.

La Vache

Latest posts