2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 what size are "PI 346325
Spain 2014 Germination 30%..........................................Germination 86 % " ?
If you are referring to the seed size of PI 346325, it is fairly small, just larger than a large soybean. More importantly though, the NPGS lists it as being photo-period sensitive, so it is not likely to mature in the north temperate zones.

Curious as to how/why Joseph the explorer was "collecting" from the NPGS. (says the pot to the kettle). :rolleyes:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you are referring to the seed size of PI 346325, it is fairly small, just larger than a large soybean. More importantly though, the NPGS lists it as being photo-period sensitive, so it is not likely to mature in the north temperate zones.

Curious as to how/why Joseph the explorer was "collecting" from the NPGS. (says the pot to the kettle). :rolleyes:

i was hoping i was asking about the 2nd one which is mostly white with a darker line around the eye. it looks to me like some form that might be early enough Purple Dove ancestor. the other ones that look flat and more curled are not the ones i was interested in (i'm assuming those were the buddha ones - which i am not interested in :) ).

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 what size are "PI 346325
Spain 2014 Germination 30%..........................................Germination 86 % " ?
I got PI 342325 as Buddha's Bellybutton Germination 86%. Seed Quantity is over 40.
Mongeties Del Garxet 2014 From Spain Germination 30% Seed Quantity 7 color pure white.

I don't know if this bean from Spain Would be a bush or pole type in growth.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got PI 342325 as Buddha's Bellybutton Germination 86%. Seed Quantity is over 40.
Mongeties Del Garxet 2014 From Spain Germination 30% Seed Quantity 7 color pure white.

I don't know if this bean from Spain Would be a bush or pole type in growth.

if it is day sensitive and long season it wouldn't work for me anyways in any form.

it is this one i am more interested in:

"Mongeties Del Garxet 2014 From Spain Germination 30% Seed Quantity 7 color pure white"

i think i will let this one go though...

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
if it is day sensitive and long season it wouldn't work for me anyways in any form.

"Mongeties Del Garxet 2014 From Spain Germination 30% Seed Quantity 7 color pure white"

I would think that if this bean has been grown in Spain they are not likely to be Daylength sensitve. Daylenght sentivity would be close to around the equartor and north and south a bit from there.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
one thing that will help in the future (but not for now) is a relatively inexpensive way to genetically sequence a bean plant. that way you will be able to classify and eliminate duplicates. i'm sure there are hundreds to thousands of beans that have names which are the same as others genetically.

once there is a family tree available then naming can go from there.
Particularly in Joe's case. As much as I respect him and the work he does, I am afraid to say I DO see a tendency in him to not look too closely as to things like whether what he got in one place is the same as what he got in another, and also a tendency to assume that, if he finds something in an unusual or exotic place, it must be a rare isolated variety no one has ever heard of. Many time (particularly when the Seed Zoo was still fully up and running) I would look at a listing and say "Why would someone pay that for that item when they can simply pick up a bag of the same stuff for a tenth of the price. I'm not sure he ever realized that, thanks to ethnic markets, a lot of so called "exotic" species are actually pretty easy to obtain (even easier now that we have the internet and online ordering.) The Russian oil seed sunflowers appeared to be the same kind you can get out of birdseed, and his rice beans were the same as the kind I can buy bags of at any Chinese supermarket (they weren't even the "good" kind, i.e. the kind that will actually PRODUCE in the US.)

So, as you do the cladistic tree, I'm pretty sure you will not only find a lot of duplicates, but a lot of his seeds that are duplicates of ones that are pretty well known.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
one thing that will help in the future (but not for now) is a relatively inexpensive way to genetically sequence a bean plant. that way you will be able to classify and eliminate duplicates. i'm sure there are hundreds to thousands of beans that have names which are the same as others genetically.

once there is a family tree available then naming can go from there.
I think this situation is also true with tomatoes, there are probably lots that go by different names but are all the same tomato. Pink beefsteaks in particular. I do wonder though if there ever will be an inexpensive method of genetic sequencing?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

I believe Mongeta Del Ganxet is a pole bean. If I can find room this year, I will be growing it. I grew it last year too, though it didn't do well.

Latest posts