2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That’s it. If you’d like some just message me and I can send it your way.

that's ok, but thank you for the offer, i'm primarily doing bush beans and a few semi-runners here. so am trying to avoid pole beans. if you ever get a bush cross with the right pods, early and right flavor then i would gladly change my mind. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the bean in a styrofoam cup experiment planted a little 'gardener to be' seed in a great many gardeners! 🌱

:)

i don't think we did that in school. for me it was the Four O' Clocks that had seeds shaped like little grenades that was for some reason what helped me along. i also blame Mom because we were always cooking and canning as much as we could do and it was normal for me to "help out"... gardening just fit right in with that, and helping pick at other people's gardens when they had harvested enough and would call us to come get what was left.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wierdest thing. I just noticed that one of the soybean plant clusters has been mowed right down. Not a cut worm, too high up and no plant matter left. I suspect a hog, but there are newly growing peas and beans all over? And just two soy plants of a few dozen?

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
me 3 :)

@Michael Lusk Your plants are so big and tall!! When do you plant?
I planted those on May 7. I have a ton of the seed so I wasn't too worried if the weather didn't cooperate. We've had really strange weather this season though...way more summer like than spring so things do seem to be farther along than normal this year.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aha! Poplars! So that is the tree type putting out all this fuzz.

yes, when weeding in recent weeks it has been like the weeds have been combing the air for the fuzz. the neighbors who own the property out back have left the poplars to grow so there is all sorts of fuzz blowing around. it also means that i have to weed a lot of them out of the gardens or we'll soon also be overrun.

to give an example, these trees can grow so quickly that they'll top 40ft within a few years. i had to hire someone to take down one that was let go here. i think it was all of six years old. i climbed up and cut off branches of what i could get to but it was a bit too scary for me with the ladder and the wind so that was where i stopped. the trunk at the bottom was over a foot across (and it was already rotting out).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'll be planting beans for some days yet, if anything they may have a chance to be either deer fodder, a cover crop or some actual harvest of some other kind, but i won't know until it happens. :)

at least with yesterday's efforts i got the area on the West side of the garlic patch planted so now i am working on the further East side to get it weeded and planted. slowing me down is picking rocks out of the garden. there's still a lot of those in there the further back i go. i've paid so many hours already in picking this gravel out of there, but it was me who was dumb enough to put it along that edge to begin with so... oops... don't do that again! :) it may get hot enough to make getting the screen out there again more fun and wet and dirty, but then i'd be missing that day's planting improvement.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The nights here are still cool, upper 50's, but will soon be in the mid 60's and it seems like the bean plants are responding to the increasing warmth of the nights. Just a theory, but it seems like it. Low to mid 80's for this upcoming week - yay! Hope all the beans start to really take off as a result.

Little happy bean miracle; there is a bean I've been wanting to grow for 3 years, I saw it on Deaflora's website a couple years ago, 'Genoll de Crist'. I finally got my hands on some this spring, and planted the first 4 of 8 seeds in starter pots. All but one rotted. So I planted the one viable transplant, and the last 4 seeds. That was probably nearly 3 weeks ago and nothing came up, so I only had the one plant - 1/8. Better than nothing! But I would have liked better odds! Then miraculously two days ago I saw sprouts! I can't believe it, but a few more of the Genoll de Crist seeds actually did make it! So happy! Also, the 'Zwolse Paarse' purple bean that I barely got to make a few pods last year, but still managed to get some seeds from thank goodness, sprouted up with 100% germination this year! SO I'm growing a huge row of them this year! Oh, bean thrills!

:weee

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My pitiful Floreta seeds I collected last year have also sprouted and the plants are starting to climb. Maybe this year I will be able to collect more better quality seeds.

@heirloomgal , we have Genoll de Crist seeds from the same source and it's good to know that there are problems with their germination. They will be under special supervision next year.

Last edited:

Latest posts