2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having a lot of initial trouble with soybeans this year, in spite of my protection measures.

I planted all of the "Gaia" which I had pre-germinated in pots, since that was all the seed I had. Those TLC pots are elevated, and surrounded by chicken wire to keep out hungry mouths. Last night deer knocked over the chicken wire, and killed or damaged every plant. :( About 1/2 of the plants will still survive, if I completely enclose those pots (which I will do after the cold front moves through tonight). But since this is my first time growing "Gaia" and I can find no data for the variety, I will now be unable to evaluate its yield & DTM... and even in the best case scenario, will need to be regrown again for enough seed to share.

A rabbit also dug under the chicken wire in one of my home gardens, and almost completely defoliated one of the soybean rows there, "PI 522192 A". :( I expected that it would come back to finish the job - which it did, and I trapped it. I'll bank up soil over the hole to seal the fence, and those plants (which are already blooming) should recover in time to produce seed.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Network bean Old Time Golden Stick. I can't believe the flowers adorning these vines, and the set of pods forming. This is a really outstanding bean variety as far as performance. Seeds are forming already. I was a bit worried about this one because I thought it might be a more Southern adaption. Good thing I took a chance!
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG

And my first zinnia. Thanks for the inspiration @Bluejay77 !
IMG_0089.JPG

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Network bean Old Time Golden Stick. I can't believe the flowers adorning these vines, and the set of pods forming. This is a really outstanding bean variety as far as performance. Seeds are forming already. I was a bit worried about this one because I thought it might be a more Southern adaption. Good thing I took a chance!

Wow those are just gorgeous plants and pods @heirloomgal ! Beans from Appalachian country. Mountain people beans. You know you start them early to transplant them and since I did that with some limas this year. It really seems to give them a big boost in pushing up their maturity. I think next year I'm going to grow all my pole beans that way. I am really liking the results. They faired better than other beans during this dry spell. We finally got nearly two inches of rain this week. I got to take some photos of my limas.

Glad your Zinnias are looking pretty. 😊

And longer season beans you just start them early and you can wind up still being able to grow them.

I look at the seed of that Old Time Golden Stick and Yellow Orange and I wonder if they aren't same bean.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
2020 was the first year I tried a few beans in starter pots, then when I joined LEBN I did all the network beans that way and some others. I've been so happy with the results these last 2 years that I think I'll always do pole beans as transplants. Technically, they're only 14 to 30 days earlier than the direct seeded beans but they seem much farther ahead than that. Here is Kyoto, one of my network beans from last year that I'm growing again. I direct seeded it the first week of June. It is much smaller than the transplanted pole beans. And this is a better growing location to boot. Bai Bu Lao in the back is the same, direct seeded.
IMG_0254.JPG

This is network bean Stephano Borlotti d'Aveto, I'm actually becoming afraid this one will collapse because it is gently swaying in a breeze and is leaning. The mass of greenery at the top is too heavy. :oops:
IMG_0146.JPG

Network bean Owl's Head. Very tall bean, has been setting pods for a long time now.
IMG_0191.JPG

Network bean Starlite. All pods are close to the ground, and height is only about 4 feet.
IMG_0198.JPG

Network bean Zebra Aus Tenerife. I messed up somewhere because this one is not a pole, it's a semi-runner. OOps!
IMG_0099 (1).JPG

Network bean Lazy Red Housewife.
IMG_0216 (1).JPG

Network bean Weaver.
IMG_0177 (1).JPG

This is Mongeta de Talarn, a European bean. The pods are huge!
IMG_0174.JPG

Fingerprint favas.
IMG_0184.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 43

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:barnieJust got some tech help and found the answer as to why my latest photos are coming through altered, and in a bad way. I just started using my new ipad for photos and apparently emailing myself the photos from the ipad and downloading to the laptop is too convoluted for the apple ecosystem. Well, I'll need to get a crash course in a new method before I'm able to post clear pictures again!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
:barnieJust got some tech help and found the answer as to why my latest photos are coming through altered, and in a bad way. I just started using my new ipad for photos and apparently emailing myself the photos from the ipad and downloading to the laptop is too convoluted for the apple ecosystem. Well, I'll need to get a crash course in a new method before I'm able to post clear pictures again!
I take all my garden photos in the last few years on my Samsung S-9 smart phone and it's definitely not the latest thing anymore. Probably wasn't when I bought it. Email them to myself and open my email on my desktop and save them to a folder on the desktop. I can then access the photos really quick for showing here on LEBN. They seem just as clear on my desktop as they are on the smart phone. Have you thought @heirloomgal of doing it that way. Some of the smart phones have really good cameras. I really like the photos this S-9 takes. To get them to email with the phone I have to downsize the photos to medium.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

that or you are sending the thumbnail and not the actual photo itself. can you drop the photos in a folder on the ipad and then share that folder on your local network (wifi, bluetooth, hardwired, dunno)? i'm completely not up to date on mobile phones and apps and stuff... so i'm pretty much guessing here. :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a Samsung Tab A for taking photos for the last years 8 years I think, and I really liked it. For an old, plain model it still took good pictures. For now, it seems like that Samsung took better photos than this ipad. I don't have a cell phone, just the ipad and a laptop that uses Windows. I used the same process on the Samsung for posting pics here on LEBN that you describe @Bluejay, because you had explained to me in email once how you do it and it worked like a charm for me. So it is a bit of a disappointment that I can't carry over that same method onto the ipad. If that old Tablet hadn't fallen and gotten a smashed screen, and the internal charging chip wasn't finished, I'd still be using it. My techy friend says I'll need to download some kind of icloud app or something for device sharing. I've looked in Settings to see if there is a 'Transfer to Mac or PC' option but there doesn't seem to be one. The whole reason for the ipad is pictures, and - so far - it hasn't worked well.

On a happier note, the 'Mascotte' container beans are finally doing something. You'd think for itty bitty wee plants that they would be making beans sooo much quicker. I mean, the pole beans are loading up and these are just beginning!?
IMG_0233.JPG

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am so low tech I am pretty much no-tech, but I am able to easily post photos from my Motorola phone (thankfully!). We are a frugal family, and have found that this phone can do what other more expensive phones do, but for a fraction of the cost. My plan however makes it very difficult to email photos, and for that reason I upload the photos directly from the gallery on my phone to The Easy Garden site.

Latest posts