2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pheasant also turned out a nice crop for you! :) i see you have some in there i call Two Spots, but it may just be part of the natural range of the expression for that bean. i always culled those out and ate them.
@flowerbug
I take it the seeds you call Two Spots are the ones with the incomplete mark around the eye?

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Artorius !

Wow what gorgeous beans. To me the sunrise looks great. Doesn't flowerbug have a bean similar to Grumbliai called Lemon Slice? Send me some of those Grumbliai with one of your Network return packages next year in '24. Love that Tinker's Fire too, and the name is neat.

@Bluejay77
I've already written it down in my notebook. I'll remember to send you Grumbliai seeds.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grandma's Bean - pole
I had 8 plants. In addition to the correct seeds, I received two segregations and one outcross.

Grandma's Bean

Grandma's Bean 1.jpg
Grandma's Bean 2.jpg

Grandma's Bean segregation 1

Grandma's Bean segregation 1 1.jpg
Grandma's Bean segregation 1 2.jpg

Grandma's Bean segregation 2

Grandma's Bean segregation 2.jpg

Grandma's Bean outcross

Grandma's Bean outcross 1.jpg
Grandma's Bean outcross 2.jpg

I will show other beans next year, which will be quite soon :)

Happy New Year!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, i got one bean picture done today. i started by moving some containers and one slipped out of my hand so a half hour of free time turned out to be gone and then i ran out of patience too as i just could not get these to show up as well as i'd like.

i shouldn't give it a name in case nothing comes of it over the longer term, but really it's such a pretty bean. it looks black in this picture but it really is a dark purple. a Purple Dove outcross - one of several. appears to be semi-runner and not edible as a fresh bean but i will have to verify these aspects next season - it may not be stable at all...

DSC_20231231_164109-0500_2252_Flair_thm.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug
I take it the seeds you call Two Spots are the ones with the incomplete mark around the eye?

yes, almost all white with just two little dots by the eye. i've seen it several times mixed in with various other out crosses from Top Notch through the years. likely other direct or indirect parents would probably be Yellow Eye, Painted Pony, or Appaloosa but i really can't say for sure. i have also seen one spot and spotted one and two spots.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last of my 2023 soybeans...

20231023_114244.jpg 20231227_134200.jpg
"SY 9514014", grain/processing type. From the USDA/ARS 2007, originally from South Korea. Medium early (about 105-110 days dry). Very high protein content (over 50% dry weight) but only a moderate yield. One of the few soybeans which came up well, and were not attacked by critters. 13 ounces of seed.

20231025_144018.jpg 20231227_134600.jpg
"Zelena Echo 3", from the estate of Robert Lobitz 2006, originally from the USDA, collected in Hungary. This is another of those with a "gray" seed coat. Medium-large seeds, high protein (~46% dry weight) and a very high yield. Not bad as edamame; but although the pod yield is high, the low average seeds per pod make it less desirable for that purpose. Possibly good for making soy nuts? The combination of both high protein & high yield is relatively rare in soybeans, so this variety is exceptional. The best soybean performer this year, 30 ounces of seed.

20231231_160321.jpg 20231231_160330.jpg
"Gaia", sent to me unsolicited (along with a few other soybeans) from a source since lost. I only had a few seeds, so started them as transplants, and put them in my fenced TLC pots. They were doing well... until deer knocked over the chicken wire, ate half the plants, and topped the rest. The survivors re-sprouted, branched, and had a good pod set - then chipmunks began to harvest the pods!!! The plants were probably one day away from total destruction, so I pulled them & hung them indoors to dry. Not a total loss, and more seed than I started with; but not enough seed to share. The total yield is on the card. :(

Honorable mention to the total failures this year. Heavy seed corn fly attack in the rural garden... deer, rabbits, turkeys, chipmunks, and mice at home. ?!?! :barnie I've never had such a bad year for soybeans - and with less garden space, having to grow something twice pushes something else back a year.
- Hatsutaka (edamame) which had zero germination (probably the seed corn flies). This is a good variety & not widely grown, so I'll try it again next year from transplants.
- Natsu Kurakake (edamame) great germination, then completely destroyed by turkeys just before harvest. One of my favorite early edamame varieties, so I hope to try it again next year.
- Oosodefuri (edamame), only a single plant survived the seed corn flies, and that one turned out to be one of the few crosses I've ever had in soybeans. Since I have other similar edamame varieties, this one will not be regrown.
- PI 522192 A, black-seeded grain type. Eaten first by rabbits, then the survivors completely stripped by chipmunks.

Oh, and the total failures of favas, tepary beans, two soup peas, and two common beans. There were successes too
(most of those other than beans) but overall, I'm glad to be leaving 2023 in the rear view mirror. :frow I hope & pray for a kinder, gentler 2024.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
i shouldn't give it a name in case nothing comes of it over the longer term, but really it's such a pretty bean. it looks black in this picture but it really is a dark purple. a Purple Dove outcross - one of several. appears to be semi-runner and not edible as a fresh bean but i will have to verify these aspects next season - it may not be stable at all...

DSC_20231231_164109-0500_2252_Flair_thm.jpg
Between the color & the two spots that look like tiny legs (especially the bean at the top) "Pollywog" might be a good name.