2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

colcol

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hello Guys -- I have 2 varieties labeled October Bush. The red ones on the left are from Wrights Heirlooms and the lighter ones with the distinct markings on the right are from a trade which look most like all the pictures I've seen. Could the redder ones possibly be mis-labeled, or perhaps there are different strains and the red is just a variation? What are your opinions please?

Attachments

• DSCF5136.JPG
    DSCF5136.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 40

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hello Guys -- I have 2 varieties labeled October Bush. The red ones on the left are from Wrights Heirlooms and the lighter ones with the distinct markings on the right are from a trade which look most like all the pictures I've seen. Could the redder ones possibly be mis-labeled, or perhaps there are different strains and the red is just a variation? What are your opinions please?
The ones of the left look like they have maybe been treated with a pink fungicide dust, and the other one seems untreated and possibly a fresher bunch of seeds? Aside from the pink, they seem like the same bean. There is a company here that sells beans in foil packets and all the beans are pink because they're dusted.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The beans are ALL DONE!! :weee

IMG_7316.JPG
IMG_7267.JPG

Bush beans.
IMG_7275.JPG

Every single bean plant got a little copper wand. Yes, I'm that 🤪 about legume safety.

3 other bean gardens I still need to take a photo of. Here are some of the bean doubles I put in the edible landscaping project in the front, so 6 and 1/2 total bean beds. There are still lots of gaps in there, but I hope I guessed right as to the spacing the semi runners needed, and the spaces will fill properly. It's an experiment, and one of the goals is to improve the soil even more in this bed for future use, which the beans will do for me. Free labour!👍
IMG_7245 (1).JPG

I asked DH to build me for my Mother's Day gift a new bean trellis, because, what else would I want? I saw a picture and said, what about this? 😁 Insuk's Kang Wong is planted at the feet for this year. I have no idea what the flowers are like, but I hope they're large! It's 6 x 8 so we can fit a gliding bench under, and hopefully enjoy the canopy by end of July.
IMG_7236.JPG
IMG_7237.JPG
IMG_7306.JPG
IMG_7294.JPG

Last edited:

colcol

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The ones of the left look like they have maybe been treated with a pink fungicide dust, and the other one seems untreated and possibly a fresher bunch of seeds? Aside from the pink, they seem like the same bean. There is a company here that sells beans in foil packets and all the beans are pink because they're dusted.
Yes, they are dusted pink! I never thought to wash a couple off then compare! How silly of me! It made a little difference and I can see the same markings, but the dusted ones seem a little smaller and rounder. I'm going to grow some of both, keep them separated and compare the harvested seed.

jbrobin09

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The early summer season is complete now, I've had my predicted seasonal bout of total bean paranoia. It rained from 9 o'clock last night on & off until mid afternoon today. Tons fell :(. Thank goodness I have so many transplants - I'm still quite worried the seeds will be adversely affected. When it ended though it became quite sunny and warm, with a little breeze. I'm hoping all the plants & seeds are alright. It didn't get cold all that time, so that was good. But those downpours make me REALLY REALLY nervous. I highly suspect the beans, both seeds and plants, loathe that much water. I'm glad nearly all of them are planted in raised beds.

If I didn't love growing beans so much, I'd go back to tomatoes! I NEVER worried about my tomato plants!!
Yes it is nerve-wracking this year. I’ve been waiting to plant my bean starts as it’s been so cold here. We had +2C overnight temps the last two nights with daytime temps under 18C. It’s a cold spring!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tonight will be 3C/37F! Ack! Luckily there is no red flashing warning on the weather network so no frost danger but that is TOO close for comfort! It was only 17C/63 F today. However, I will say that I have been really surprised with how fast my pole beans seeds have come up anyway!! Holy mackerel that was fast, I planted them Friday evening! And it has not been toasty warm these last couple days, our nice heat wave dropped off. I can confirm, so far, that not one bean has come up missing a head or misshapen in any way, no evidence of cutworms or bean seed flies, so it appears the little wands can work with beans planted directly in the ground as well!!! I'm so happy it's working!!

Last edited:

jbrobin09

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Tonight will be 3C/37F! Ack! Luckily there is no red flashing warning on the weather network so no frost danger but that is TOO close for comfort! It was only 17C/63 F today. However, I will say that I have been really surprised with how fast my pole beans seeds have come up anyway!! Holy mackerel that was fast, I planted them Friday evening! And it has not been toasty warm these last couple days, our nice heat wave dropped off. I can confirm, so far, that not one bean has come up missing a head or misshapen in any way, no evidence of cutworms or bean seed flies, so it appears the little wands can work with beans planted directly in the ground as well!!! I'm so happy it's working!!
How did your garden do, heirloomgal? We didn’t freeze here when we had the 2C, but a few plants had some burn on the leaves from the cold and wind combined.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How did your garden do, heirloomgal? We didn’t freeze here when we had the 2C, but a few plants had some burn on the leaves from the cold and wind combined.
I checked right before bed and it DID finally say 'risk of frost'!! But thankfully everything was fine. I'm glad your plants are alright too! Sheesh, nearly mid June seems a but late to be worrying about frost!

The most damage my plants suffered this year was some tattered battered leaves because we had crazy high winds for a few days. Let's hope the weather drama is over for 2024 and we don't need to worry about frost until, well, I'll settle for late November?

Latest posts