5 hours of weeding and they are shot!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Much of my yard is in shade. Through the summer, every square foot is mowed every 7 days.

At the lowest setting for the mower, it would scrape the ground in several places and likely pull up sod in many locations. I keep it one setting above that height.

The bluegrass grows. Some of the tiniest plants make seed. I obviously pick up some of that seed on my shoes and track it into the garden -- where it sprouts and grows along with other seed from weeds that I track, that blow in, that the birds carry, that sneaks under the fence ... How does one have a garden where weeds are unknown!??

digitS'
:thNO- ONE told me that weeds grow MUCH better than what I wanted to grow before I started on this @#$$$$$ hobby of gardening. :duc

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
i like the idea of having gloves i can't cut the fingertips off by accident when i'm snipping, but around here with the clay having them coated on the fingers (and not the back of the hand so they still breathe) so the mud doesn't get stuck in them is an important feature.
I looked up the gloves I have been using; although they briefly become dirty, the dirt doesn't stick, and just flakes off as I work:
https://us.pipglobal.com/en/products/?scID=2560&ccID=11570&liner_material=--PolyKor+Xrystal--
I am using the Gtek, although the specific model (16-560) is not listed there. They are sold locally by an electrical supply company, but you can also find them on Amazon:
https://www.fullsource.com/pip-16-5...4584894770390900&utm_content=PIP: work gloves
Very comfortable & wear like iron, the best garden gloves I've ever used.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Zeedman, do these fit snug? I can't stand baggy gloves, I need them to be like a second skin almost.
I have 4 pair in my cart (and they are much cheaper from the company than Amazon btw) but am waiting to order.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Zeedman, do these fit snug? I can't stand baggy gloves, I need them to be like a second skin almost.
I have 4 pair in my cart (and they are much cheaper from the company than Amazon btw) but am waiting to order.

same here, and it seems hard to find gloves that fit me well...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I too hate over-sized, baggy, or loose-fitting gloves. Yes, if you wear the right size they fit snugly, pretty much skin tight - even a little hard to remove, if they become wet. There was a rubber coating (for gripping firmly) on the palm & front of the fingers, I started using them for weeding when the rubber wore off... the fabric beneath the rubber is tough.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't use leather in the garden except for "heavy" tool use anymore either, @Nyboy ;).

My favorites are a pair of buffalo hide insulated gloves Dad gave me.

I don't use them in the garden either -- don't want them dirty. Besides, they are so stiff, or I'm so weak, it's difficult for me to close my hands. No, they are my snow shoveling gloves.

Steve :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
O K @ninnymary here are a few pics from today. the garden is still a disgrace. It was NOT our best effort or year to garden. Weeds took over. They where waist high and thick. Weeding around in flower beds we needed to be careful and not pull up any surviving plants. Now on to the vegetable garden. There we will just pull up EVERYTHING and sort vegetables from trash as we head to the compost pile!
001.JPG

after weeding flower area
012.JPG
The 3 full wagon loads DH dumped along other garden instead of taking to compost area.
016.JPG
The vegetable garden, Can you see the tomatoes?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, I guess all your rain does that? Do you mulch with cardboard and wood chips to try and hold the weeds down? I remember Journey always doing that and she said it made a hugh difference for her.

Mary