7 months to empty nesters????

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you i hope you didn't take what i wrote as a complaint about my Mom. when i live with someone else i have to adapt to some extent. i don't ever tell her about a lot of things that might bother me if i were going to nit pick. it just isn't worth it. instead, i grin, sometimes laugh, shake my head and move on with the day. happiness is often a choice of ignoring the little annoyances and finding something else to focus on and enjoy. Mom is making cookies now. smells like heaven in here...

she has also adapted to me. i really don't much like any kind of noise in the morning. it doesn't matter if it is my favorite music or not. so we've set up the general rule that up until 9am i can have my quiet time. once in a while she'll start talking because she wakes up so early and is up for an hour or two before i wake up... then i have to remind her that if she really wants me to remember the conversation i have to be awake. and then we laugh about it.

as for my overall family. um. it's ok in parts and a huge mess in other parts. i have no desire to fix any of it, not my issues, not my involvement, not my emotional energy. it is someone else's stuff and i'm staying out of it. burned a dozen times already, i'm crispy and well-done...

i don't have children. i would be a horrible parent. i knew that long ago and have been careful with who have been partners. my most recent relationship she had three children and it was ok, but was a good thing that we eventually parted because i'm just not that sort of person. i still love and miss all of them. oh well... :)

i'm glad things have worked out for you and your own family. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DD was schooled in work beginning at 16 and, really, before. We didn't push her into a paid job. She saw an opportunity to work at a supermarket and went to work bagging groceries and pushing shopping carts. By senior year of high school, she was their barista.

She was also student body president and student representative on the district school board. There had been a little lag since she was 6th grade president and 1 of 2 presidents (;)?) in kindergarten. (I seem to be going backwards through her life! But, you know how parents are. The kid is always a kid :).)

School began early but her mom was often in the same building when she was in the 3 hour 3 year olds preschool, twice a week. Sometimes, Mom was in her classroom.

Last year was a busy one for the nearly 30 year old DD. Besides completing a 2 year MBA, she worked full-time in a management position and was outta town, a lot! Houston, Boston 2 weeks on business, a brief vacation in Las Vegas, and another in Tennessee.

DS ... I'll get to him another time ;).

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
No noise in the morning, my foolish nephew tried that demand the short time he livid with me :plbb:plbb:plbb to bad for him I am a morning person. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

it's not a demand at all, but just works out well for us now that we've found a reasonable balance. :) it's a living system, some days it breathes a bit different...

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I once stopped by to visit my dad. After a few minutes he told me the dog was upset I was there. By the 3rd time he said how upset the dog was I said maybe I should leave, I was very surprised when he said yes. To this day I wonder what the old man was doing that he wanted me out of the house.

Maybe you want to know..... but then again maybe you DONT want to know.... js....lol

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
She is required to live on campus the first year. WVU is over an hour away from here so I dont think commuting is an option for her at this point.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daughter went to college at 16, graduated at 19 and got married. I raised her to be independent and take care of herself. She got two Master degrees at 21 and is now Department Chair at the college she teaches at. Her husband is a 5th grade teacher. They have 3 beautiful girls and are a beautiful family.

My son waffled around after graduating high school. He finally decided what he wanted to do and is now a crane operator, holding 7 licenses and is trained in safety and could be a safety inspector. He works shut downs all over the country. After spending a winter in Iowa, he learned his lesson and goes south for the winter now. LOL He is 35, never married and Mom keeps on his butt. Haha. Currently on a shut down in Corpus Christi.

I treasured my children. We had fun. We had Easter Egg hunts in July, made cookies and ate the dough until we were sick, laughed a lot, read books at bedtime, and I made sure they knew they were loved.

My Mother didn't like children. She didn't like her children, my older sister most of all. She was hateful to her, sent her off the day after school let out and didn't bring her back home until the week before school started back. She treated my older brother a little better and by the time I came along, she utterly ignored me. We all left home early.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Drew you should keep your eyes open sales and goodwill. There are things everyone living in a dorm need. Microwave, small refrigerator, bedding. I would call and find out what will be in the room when your daughter gets to school.

Latest posts