A few garden pictures (plus an extra or ten)

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here is one of my watermelon patches with tomatoes posing in the background

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_002.jpg

Some Okra plants (with weeds posing as well :rolleyes:)

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_003.jpg

Some russet potatoe plants that I have absolutely no idea if I am doing right

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_004.jpg

Some of the blue potatoe plants that are trying to recover from being transplanted out of the bed that I put fresh chicken poo in (like an idiot)

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_005.jpg

One of the guilty chickens who didnt warn me not to put fresh chicken poo in a garden bed. I should cook her. Good thing she lays lots of eggs

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_010.jpg

A view of the field that next spring is going to become a VERY BIG garden

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_006.jpg

Another view of said field

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_008.jpg

Two piles of horse manure. One is for spring 2010 and the other which will be MUCH larger will be for 2011 with all kinds of leaves, coffee grounds, vegetables, etc etc. In the background is another watermelon patch with four corn plants.

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_007.jpg

Some more guilty chickens, I have 19 girls. They are about 5 months old I expect

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_009.jpg

Tomatoes

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_011.jpg

More tomatoes

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_012.jpg

Tomato plants posing

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_013.jpg

This is Brutus the dog. He wandered up after Hurricane Ike at my sisters house. He's a keeper. If it moves in the yard, he'll kill it. I've seen him eating snakes. He's a good boy (he's a meathead really but I tell him he's a good boy)

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_014.jpg

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Andy123 said:
Very nice photos!

I really like the dog, I don't understand why you didn't name him Ike. :hu
You know, I thought eggzactly that after he had already learned his name. Just one of my "here's your sign" moments. I have to have at least one of those a day or the earth will no longer be flat and will become round. :cool:

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG your place is stunning! thank you so much for sharing!!!

the okra is my favorite I absolutely adore the stuff and can not grow it here ..it also makes beautiful pods if you let them go to seed!!! I did that in Arizona and the pods curled like a pigs tail! magnificant!

curried okra is my absolute favorite comfort food!

thanks again everything looks so good right now

and sadly I am sooo far behind you!

I wonder if I could go okra in pots under lights to finish them off? just to try?

and meatheads are the best dogs on the planet and should be included in all photo montages!!!

I have two wonderful meat headed dogs :)

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
OMG your place is stunning! thank you so much for sharing!!!

the okra is my favorite I absolutely adore the stuff and can not grow it here ..it also makes beautiful pods if you let them go to seed!!! I did that in Arizona and the pods curled like a pigs tail! magnificant!

curried okra is my absolute favorite comfort food!

thanks again everything looks so good right now

and sadly I am sooo far behind you!

I wonder if I could go okra in pots under lights to finish them off? just to try?

and meatheads are the best dogs on the planet and should be included in all photo montages!!!

I have two wonderful meat headed dogs :)
Thank You.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything looks wonderful! I can hear that field calling to you- you will never have to go to the grocery store again! What are you using in your chicken area, on the ground? It looks so nice and tidy. I am so jealous that you are able to grow watermelon. I keep trying, but in zone 4, I am just about to give up! Make sure you take a minute to sit down and enjoy all your hard work! Happy gardening!

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
Everything looks wonderful! I can hear that field calling to you- you will never have to go to the grocery store again! What are you using in your chicken area, on the ground? It looks so nice and tidy. I am so jealous that you are able to grow watermelon. I keep trying, but in zone 4, I am just about to give up! Make sure you take a minute to sit down and enjoy all your hard work! Happy gardening!
Thank You.

As far as the outside chicken area I dont use anything, those girls have just scratched all the grass out of it. Quick too. Inside I use straw. I clean it frequently. Both of my neighbors keep chickens and their chicken areas are horrible. Predator get to those guys chickens every once in a while. Their water containers look horrible. Neither neighbor speaks the English so I cant ask them why its like that. I clean my girls water dispensors all the time. Their feeders never need it for some reason.

Mjd

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OMG!! That is a Texas garden for sure Texan! The okra grows so fast there you have to eat it everyday! I used to just eat it raw while I picked all of my nice ripe tomaoes! Oh how I miss ripe tomatoes and okra!!

I hate when my chickens don't tell me stuff either. :barnie Jeeze, A LITTLE HELP HERE!! (Those RIRs machine gun out eggs though, don't they?) :lol:

Love your dog, he looks like a meathead! :lol: I lived in Houston during Kartina, (TS Alicia, Rita and recently IKE :th and all the ones before, too), we got a lot of dogs didn't we? We gave so much dog food to the ASPCA that they started to not accept anymore. Houston is full of good hearted dog people.

By the way, I WANT THAT TRUCK!!!!!!!!! I'm so jealous!!!!!! I would look so good in that truck!!!!! :cool:

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Texan, what a beautiful garden! I'm so jelous. We are so behind here in the NorthEast. Rain, rain and more rain. I'm gonna build an ark soon. The plants can't just get a break to sun themselves and dry out! That field is gonna be great!! I love your chickies and pup. What a nice find in him! Wish a doggie would wander on our property so my 3 y/o would stop asking for one. ;) Maybe it would keep the neighbor's cats from harrassing my chickies.

Lesa, I tried watermellons here in zone 5 and got only small ones. This year I planted icebox watermellons because my DS loves watermellons and basically lives on them in the summer. They are fast growers and are even able to be trellised for smaller gardens. Claim made by company, we'll see. :) Maybe try them.