A Fungus among us???

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My mixed variety heirloom tomatoes are turning a tan color on the very tips of the leaves, then it seems to develop into spots on the leaves then the leaves start to wilt then basically drop off. Is this a fungus? Or a soil problem. These are in the greenhouse in the ground, I'm seriously thinking of digging them up and repotting and simply growing them in containers or the garden if this isn't a contagious problem. Any ideas?? I hate to lose 10 plants.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No and No. Thank you for your quick reply. I'll go run and get a pic. :)

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok this is the worst leaf at the moment, could it be from the greenhouse being too hot or too cold?

5005_100_1516.jpg

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
COgirl- that looks like scorch from temperature extremes to me. With a lot of the blights and mildews common on tomatoes you'll see a powdery film before the leaves are actually damaged and it usually shows up on new growth and leaves closest to the ground first. Should be OK. When it gets a little bigger those leaves will probably fall off anyway.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It looks like normal transplant stress.

Whew! I'd hate for your plants to have either of the blights from those links!

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thankyou jlmann and Catalina I feel better knowing I don't have any blight stuff going on. It is just too hot in there so I'm going to pot everyone up and put a few in the garden. I think the greenhouse will be better suited for starting things and hardening things off. Thankyou again for your help it is much appreciated. :rainbow-sun

insiderart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yah just looks like the plants underwent a little drought... some of the tips were permanently damaged. It's good to stress your plants prior to planting in the garden. We always would let them drought to a crook and then water.. holding back on the water and stressing them signals the plants to toughen their cell wall structures and cease that crazy happy green growth so common in green houses. The hardened plants suffer much less transplant shock and death than the tender fast growers that were not hardened.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thankyou insiderart, that is very good info to have :happy_flower

insiderart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You're welcome. I hope it helps someone. :)

Latest posts