A good thing from corporate America

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Son teaches 3rd grade. School has no money for iPad (has to be Apple to work with system). Went on site that you can ask for money for projects-raised $150. Then he wrote request to local Walmart. Walmart came through-paid for it all.

Don't mind saying I'm proud of him as he went through school, PTA, and now 2 different sources to get needed equipment to teach. In 4 years teaching he has taken the lowest testing kids and taken them to top 10% of district 2 times.

Ok, I'll quit bragging on him. :weee

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I commend your son and keep on bragging. But it MAKES ME MAD that he had to work so hard to get what he needs to teach. My old school has had a leaking roof for many years. The town has to vote to approve the spending. They did not for several years. In their defense the recession has hit the poor town harder than most. The students rallied the school committee last year begging for the roof to be fixed. They finally agreed due to the students' persistence. Here it is a year later it is finally approved but of course not yet started. And now comes hiring the lowest bid. I worked in 3 different schools in the town where I taught and they always had neglected roof leaks. GGGGGRRRRR!!!!!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Indiana, we approved the lottery to put education in black. Did that happen? NO! Just took other allocated money away. Congress people whether state or federal are no accounts.

Here we built new middle school, roof leaked. Roof manufacturer said installed wrong, construction company said general contractor laid out wrong, general contractor blamed ....... Tax payers paid for 2 roofs!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn, your son is awesome. Many teachers pay out of their own pockets to get the supplies they need for their students.And for him to take on the lowest testing kids and bring them to the top is inspiring. Yes, you certainly have a right to be proud. :clap My DSIL is graduating this summer and will be a teacher.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Indiana, we approved the lottery to put education in black. Did that happen? NO! Just took other allocated money away. Congress people whether state or federal are no accounts.
They did that hat trick in Texas too. 30 years ago the lottery was voted on, promising funds for education........right.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, one of my sons and his wife teach and my wife was an elementary school librarian for 12 years so I could say a lot, but I'll just say you have a right to be proud of your son. You raised him right.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn you have every right to be proud of him. Go ahead and brag. He sounds like the kind of teacher every school should have.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your son is to be commended, but why in the world does a 3rd grader need an ipad????

THANX RICH

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
iPads are wonderful teaching tools and they have so many great educational apps available. They are really good for honing fine motor skills and the kinesthetic interface is excellent for students with autism and other disabilities (for all children, really). Our modern lifestyle is so "plugged in" nowadays, the tech just appeals to the kids and can help to keep them interested/focused.

Good for your son, going the extra mile for his students, and yay for Walmart giving back to the community! :thumbsup

Latest posts