A Hello from Maine!

DogAndCat36

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi! I come from BYC, the sister site of this website.

I used to have a garden but I yielded little to no crops every year. 2 years and a half ago I got a scar on my knee that weakened my knee, it ached really badly from just everyday work and would turn purple if I walked too much. (maybe I a little weakling) Anyway, my scar and low crop amount made me stop gardening. I finally think that I want to go back into gardening.
One problem though... I never learned how to actually garden. Just like raising chicken, I thought that you just feed and water, but turns out they need so much more. There is always something that I do wrong and I would love help. Pest control, making a plot for seedlings, keeping them alive, when to plant them, ect.

Everything will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome from Alaska, there’s a lot to like on this site however if your brand new at gardening, you can do a lot of reading and acquire quite a collection of opinions. Choosing wisely and applying some of those to your conditions will go a long way to bringing you early success!
”Experience is what you get, when you don’t get what you want!”

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
hi welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan. :)

i have gardened and taken care of house plants since a pretty young age, i took some time off when i went away to college and kept a few house plants, but that was it for years, finally did get back to here where we have plenty of gardens to keep me busy so all i can really say is that you learn eventually if you keep at it.

as the seasons can vary here so much from year to year i try to plant a diversity of crops and find that while some plants may not do that great i can get good enough results for the effort put in.

start small and figure out how much time you have to put into this. you may not always need to have that time every day, but consistency and observations go a ways towards helping you head off bigger problems later.

for this area fences are required for most crops because of the animal/deer/rabbit/etc pressure that comes with having some wild areas around and a lot of ditches that can be used as highways right to the happy feeding grounds here. :)

Latest posts