A Little Green to Cover ..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
in a closet

Annette, this is just a corner of the big veggie garden. Beyond the shivering peppers and eggplant is the flower corner.

My ideal garden would be at the bottom of my backsteps. There, and almost within arm's reach, would be all my fresh food! It would be there 12 months of the year ...

Of course, the soil and other conditions would have to be a lot better than they are in the big veggie garden ;).

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey, my garden might be minuscule compared to most of you but I do have a back forty, forty steps from our back door ;).
DSCN5634.JPG DSCN5635.JPG
Rosemary in raised round bed has just been sheared, Wood's Mountain Crazy beans around the base. Next picture, pole beans growing on netting on the back of a raised bed cut into a bit of a slope, on the other side it is waist high. A couple of years ago the other side (left) growing on the side of the house.
DSCN0737.JPG

This rose is no longer there, one day (early on in the season) when I was bending over tending the rosemary bed, a huge branch came loose and hit me squarely you know where :hit, talk about smart.
I limped into the house wimping and rubbing my smarting posterior, I said to DH I want it gone. Needless to say 2 hours later it was toast, cut down, dug out and hauled to the landfill it's never going to get me again,
DH tackled the job enthusiastically as all he thinks roses are good for is keeping lions out of African villages, I still have a few but he keeps eyeing them up I'm sure just waiting for the day they will do me an injury . So in it's place I planted a California Poppy Tree (Romneya coulteri), My mom had one in her garden when I was very young and each year I used to look forward to it's big poached egg like flowers and lovely scent. When in bloom I open the window above it and it perfumes that room.

DSCN3362.jpg

My raspberry bed just in front of the rosemary bed and behind my greenhouse.

Fall2.jpg
Couldn't find a picture but about a foot to the left of this pic is the front of my waist high bed, back side is ground level. Yep, if you put your mind into it you can cram a lot into small spaces.
Enough rambling for now but you know me when I get on a roll, senior's prerogative:).

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
See!

A LOT of green! With some flower and autumn [?] foliage color

What one gardener described as an American Beauty rose - don't know, it was here when we arrived 20+ years ago - nearly died over our winter. It was originally planted on the north side of my house. We bought the house in December but I had the realtor's picture from earlier in the year. There were no blooms on that HUGE bush in that picture nor during the first year we lived here. So, I moved it ... to a sunny location. I have no idea how old it was but it wasn't ancient. It has done well through many bad winters with much colder temperatures than '16-'17. I think it's coming back okay. The stems are fairly short and the blooms are small right now but it has a lot of them!

The climbing rose over the driveway gate is what's HUGE this year! I nearly killed it when I "had" to put a fencepost right beside the original plant (here also when we arrived). Here is the 2013 photo but the way it's looking this year, it will be even nicer :D.

DSC00684.JPG

Now, you should know that in 2015 - it looked like death warmed over! Well, it's baaaack!

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I worked at a nursery a woman came in and bought a bunch of barberry to plant under her daughters window.
She wanted her to stop climbing out.

Hey whatever works:), we were broken into once, he came through the kitchen window, I now have the David Austin 'Constance Spry' growing under and around that window now and yes, she's a thorny lady. Hubby doesn't seem to be too interested in getting rid of that one:).

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20170619_161420.jpg
The potatoes are doing okay at the west end of the garden extension. And, by just showing that end of the pea trellis, it doesn't look like the peas have been neglected. It's the other half of the trellis where the recently tied top string is about a week late. Oh well, I think their vining can deal with it.

The end of the bed beyond has cilantro shooting up. Unfortunately, that is about all that is shooting up ... I'm planning on carrying the gallon of fish emulsion and a sprinkler can out there tomorrow, especially for that bed.

The scraggly things beyond are in my tomato patch. It's great seeing that none have died or been having too hard a time.

My experiment direct-sowing Coyote tomato seeds may be a bust. I see only a few tiny volunteers of any tomato variety around the garden. Coyote volunteers would come through with ripe fruit the last 2 years. It looks like the sown seed may yet have time to emerge or I'll just be guessing where Coyote might have volunteered.

Steve

Latest posts