a mere shadow of my former self ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to say that I gained 15 pounds every winter and then lost it during the summer.

Then :rolleyes:, I started to gain 15 pounds every winter and lose 10 pounds during the summer. Four years and 20 pounds later, I began to get in trouble . . .

I became discouraged along about New Years Day and stopped climbing on the scales every morning. I know that I was over 200. Disappointment may have helped in some odd way - I was just below 200 in the middle of February.

But, if I use the 200 pound mark - I lost about 8 pounds thru the spring!! Down to 192 this morning and that 185 mark that I hit at the beginning of last fall doesn't look so far off! Maybe I can even take it closer to the 170's!!

How you doin'?

Steve :D

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't keep track of my weight but I know I'm heavier than I should be. I guess the garden isn't giving me enough exercise. Time to dust off the kayak and get back out on the bay.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't carry it, Hoodat. (Neither the weight, nor the kayak ;).)

Too many problems with mobility.

I'm a little over 6' but what a difference! I feel lighter just dropping the few pounds I've already lost. I don't need the extra weight for any rhyme or reason.

Steve

ETA: Besides, doesn't Jillian Michaels look cute in the weight loss ad that shows up on the bottom of the TEG page . . ? Who is Jillian Michaels, anyway :hu?!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, they must target the ads to key words in your posts...how clever. Jillian Michaels is one of the personal trainers from the show "The Biggest Loser". It's really an inspiring show. But I hate it when she yells/curses/motivates. ;) She's a real slave-driver, but they all seem to just love her in the end.

I tripped in a hole and sprained both my ankles last May ('09) and both my weight and my garden suffered that summer. I gained 16 pounds and held onto it all through winter. :ep

I've lost 4 of that since spring this year without really trying. Need to try--I could stand to lose more. Been so busy with projects around the house/yard and working the garden, ironically that has distracted me from a regular walking routine. Hoeing a row is just not the same kind of workout and my body lets me know it. My whole family and both dogs need to get back into the routine. It's good family time too! We walked almost every evening last few years, spring thru fall. We have lots of friendly neighbors though, so sometimes it seems we do more talkin' than walkin'!! :lol:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It seems as though Winter is the hardest time to lose weight. Your body is calling for fats and sugars to stay warm.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I hope sweating off the lbs is an option. Sadly, I went from 150 to 195 when I was pregnant with my daughter. I went all the way down to 160 last year with the garden... then up to 175 after the winter. I am now 172, but I don't think my gardening is helping as much as it should be. Especially since everything I eat now a days includes a veggie or fruit rather then junk in a bag.

Worst part, I have a gym membership and do yoga at least once a week sometime twice, and I do some biking... not seeming to matter! :he

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Exercise helps. I was telling my son the other day that I wouldn't do anything unless something would suffer from my inactivity . . . darn kid agreed with me!

Okay, he knows me fairly well. (and, he's no kid ;))

So, I get wound up and go . . . the only way I know how to do anything.

Veggies help. There was someone on BYC who was wondering if they could give their chickens too many greens. My response was that the birds should know when to stop eating lettuce and go back to their feed, as long as they had feed to go back to. He would probably only get into trouble if he was trying to replace the feed with greens.

Lettuce has 15 calories to the 1/4 pound.
Chicken feed has over 300 calories in a 1/4 pound.

Both chickens and people would starve on a lettuce diet.

Veggies are really low-calorie: spinach about 25 calories, broccoli about 40, carrots about 50.

So, I've just got to stay in the garden and eating out of a basket and stay out of the feed bag ;).

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
See, now I wonder how many calories I get from all the chicken I eat? Because I like lettuce and tomato on my chicken!!! :lol:

Latest posts