A new to me seed company. Any companies you want to share?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wanted to share this seed packet from a new seed company I tried. I am most impressed with the directions on the seed packets. This one is pretty straightforward but my pet peeve with many seed companies is that they do not give you the simple secret to germinating some of the varieties that may need a quirky start. Onalee Seeds
DSC_0161.jpeg

Attachments

• DSC_0161.jpeg
    DSC_0161.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 137

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wanted to share this seed packet from a new seed company I tried. I am most impressed with the directions on the seed packets. This one is pretty straightforward but my pet peeve with many seed companies is that they do not give you the simple secret to germinating some of the varieties that may need a quirky start. Onalee Seeds
DSC_0161.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are many seed companies that I have looked at online and never came up with enough of a list to justify an order, Cat'. Top of the list are West Coast Seeds in BC and Victory Seeds in Oregon. Veseys in eastern Canada ... Southern Exposure ... oh Heavens, there are lots of ties for #2, #3!

Victory Seed used to sell old-time candies. Dagnabbit, they nearly had me! Pinetree has herbal teas! (I have ordered from Pinetree but, unfortunately, it's been years ...)

Gardening information? Johnny's (online) has been very good about that.

One thing to keep in mind is security when ordering. I once thought that an online outfit that sold seeds from another company was an associate. Now, I'm not at all sure if that was true. They went out of business several years ago but not before I made several orders.

One way to keep your credit information more secure is by using PayPal. There seem to be other ways these days but that outfit kinda led off, way back when.

Steve

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at SeedsNow for awhile. They have a very broad selection of seeds, blueberry, artichokes, lots different beans. They have very good reviews on Dave’s Garden. I haven’t ordered yet though because their tomato selection is small and that about the only thing I order online. I think I’ll order some artichoke seeds and maybe some beans and melons this fall. Their prices are good to and they also have small packs that are $1-2 but have plenty of seeds for a small garden.
My usual place to order is Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. The only thing I don’t like about them is that there isn’t enough info on their packets.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are many seed companies that I have looked at online and never came up with enough of a list to justify an order, Cat'. Top of the list are West Coast Seeds in BC and Victory Seeds in Oregon. Veseys in eastern Canada ... Southern Exposure ... oh Heavens, there are lots of ties for #2, #3!

Victory Seed used to sell old-time candies. Dagnabbit, they nearly had me! Pinetree has herbal teas! (I have ordered from Pinetree but, unfortunately, it's been years ...)

Gardening information? Johnny's (online) has been very good about that.

One thing to keep in mind is security when ordering. I once thought that an online outfit that sold seeds from another company was an associate. Now, I'm not at all sure if that was true. They went out of business several years ago but not before I made several orders.

One way to keep your credit information more secure is by using PayPal. There seem to be other ways these days but that outfit kinda led off, way back when.

Steve
I had a bad time with PayPal 2 years ago and got annoyed with them. They were good when you had trouble with a company. That seems to have changed. I rarely use them now. I had a large purchase from my daylily farm and it took 2 weeks to get my money. That turned me off from them.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Wanna Laugh? I visited a couple (loan signing) and they had a greenhouse and very nice indoor LR setup, must have been a good thousand tomatoes in various stages. I asked what they were growing and why.
They grow and then sell seedlings, starting inside, then moving to finish in a nice smallish greenhouse.
He told me that he always bought from Johnnie's, had been doing this for Years, and went through all of the names of his tomatoes while I checked their documents. There must have been 25 different varieties, several were determinates, made for containers. I only recognized 5 of the names. He almost told me how much he $spent every year on the seeds.
He was very proud of his work, and I said he deserved it.
Then I asked, "do you save seeds."
Crickets.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wanna Laugh? I visited a couple (loan signing) and they had a greenhouse and very nice indoor LR setup, must have been a good thousand tomatoes in various stages. I asked what they were growing and why.
They grow and then sell seedlings, starting inside, then moving to finish in a nice smallish greenhouse.
He told me that he always bought from Johnnie's, had been doing this for Years, and went through all of the names of his tomatoes while I checked their documents. There must have been 25 different varieties, several were determinates, made for containers. I only recognized 5 of the names. He almost told me how much he $spent every year on the seeds.
Crickets.
I do not save very many veggie seeds. I guess tomatoes would be a good one to save and I have done a few. But with so many hybrids I prefer to start with fresh seed. Call me lazy. But of course I do save thousands of my daylily seeds from my hybridizing.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very detailed growing instructions, @catjac1975 . Some of the seed catalogs used to have good planting & growing info, not sure how much of that has crossed over online.

I've ordered from a new online site this year, True Leaf Market. They had 2 of the 3 commercial seeds I ordered this year (Sugarlace pea & Gretel eggplant). Both arrived quickly, and well packaged. Gretel is already up & had 100% germination. The seed packets were labeled Mountain Valley Seed Co., so I don't know whether True Leaf Market is actually a seed company, or just an online store front for independent seed growers... but I am impressed with them so far.

They also carry some harder to find items, such as tofu & soy milk supplies, legume inoculants, and a good selection of cover crops. Their prices seem to be reasonable, they were the lowest I found for the two seeds I ordered.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crickets.

this is a common response from greenhouse growers for several reasons. one is the planting equipment may need encapsulated or coated seeds, but also the fact that greenhouse growers want seeds that are well tested for germination rates and they don't often have the time to do that kind of testing themselves.

i've had this sort of conversation with some of our favorite local greenhouse operators (who i know very well)...

Latest posts