A Perennial Kale

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kale, how do,you fix it to make it good?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I mainly use it in stir frys. I chiffonade (see?, I've been paying attention to those cooking shows, I'm picking up the lingo!)
the leaf and add it in right before I take the wok off the heat. I also like it chopped and added to minestrone or stews.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use it as a minor ingredient in soups, but my main use is just to boil it until it is soft enough, drain it, and stir in honey, mustard, and vinegar.

I’ve also been known to boil it until it’s palatable, then sauté minced garlic, chopped onions, and paprika in a little oil, then add the cooked kale. I’m mainly frying it off to dry it out as well as mix the flavors. Salt and pepper to taste.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use it as a minor ingredient in soups, but my main use is just to boil it until it is soft enough, drain it, and stir in honey, mustard, and vinegar.

I’ve also been known to boil it until it’s palatable, then sauté minced garlic, chopped onions, and paprika in a little oil, then add the cooked kale. I’m mainly frying it off to dry it out as well as mix the flavors. Salt and pepper to taste.
Do you like it or eat it because of health benefits?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I had to look up the meaning of "chiffonade" but I do that, too.

Kale is very tasty with things like barley and beef in a soup. I was very pleased with the Portuguese kale as a soup ingredient :). Traditionally, it is made with some kind of sausage that I'm not familiar with. I hope it was okay to use Italian or little smokies :p and potatoes. I am so looking forward to a 2nd season of that kale. No more collard envy . . .

Portuguese kale isn't quite what we think of as kale . . . well, maybe it is. Scotch kale, Collards and Portuguese kales are cabbage family plants. RidgeRunner's Russian kale is a rutabaga cousin. What this perennial kale is, I don't know . . . Dutch :).

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn, I made a pizza the other day using kale. It was delicious. I bought whole wheat pizza dough from the store. Roll it out and added shredded manchego cheese, spanish chorizo and the kale. The kale was boiled for about 3 minutes, squeezed the water out, and chopped it.

It was a spanish pizza that's why the spanish ingredients. But since it's pizza, I imagine you could use any cheese you want, with whatever toppings. Just make sure to add the kale. ;)

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wait a minute!

That's the sausage that is supposed to go in the Portuguese Kale soup!

So, how far do I go wrong frying a little Italian sausage for it? You know, with the basil and hot pepper flavors.

Seedcorn, use tender, immature leaves.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been thinking of trying tree kale which can grow to 8 feet or more. From what I've read it is pretty fibrous for human consumption but it may be good rabbit fodder.
I suspect it's closely related to the walking stick kale which is grown in the cooler parts of Great Britain to harvest the stalk as a walking stick.