A Perennial Kale

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Steve, you should be able to find chorizo in any Mexican market. I'm not sure if there's a difference between Mexican and Spanish chorizo.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know where there is one :p, Hoodat.

Now, to just put together a shopping list. Better do that as a note on the fridge and over several days. I'm not very imaginative on the fly.

Do you suppose they'll have the spices for breakfast sausage? Nah. I just need to stop procrastinating and get to that store, too.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, you should be able to find chorizo in any Mexican market. I'm not sure if there's a difference between Mexican and Spanish chorizo.
Hoodat, there is a BIG difference! Mexican chorizo will melt while the spanish one is hard like a pepperoni. You can slice the spanish one but not the mexican one.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I forgot to add that spanich chorizo is kind of hard to find. I find it a Trader Joe's but it comes in a package with 2 other types of spanish salume.

I would imagine Whole Foods would have it.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know of a Trader Joe's!

Wikipedia says, "Spanish chorizo and Portuguese chouriço get their distinctive smokiness and deep red color from dried smoked red peppers (pimentón/pimentão). Due to culinary tradition and the cost of imported Spanish smoked paprika, Mexican chorizo is usually made with chili peppers . . ."

There is that idea of smoking peppers and using them to add smoky flavor to something else! I'm continuing to think about a stove-top smoker . . . if I knew that DW wouldn't come unglued if I filled the house with smoke :/. I could do the smoking on the deck but the whole idea of some of these smokers is that they can be used indoors :).

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just watched part of Rachel Rays 3 in bag. Anyone make or eat Kale Pesto? Not fond of pesto as tastes like black licorice to me-hate black licorice.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I suppose . . . just using the pesto in a soup, what do they call that? A base?

If you take the mean of "pesto" as just something that comes out of a mortar and "pestle" then you can make most anything into a pesto. Parsley pesto is one that I think I should be trying. Nuts, garlic, Parmesan cheese, parsley on pasta - that sounds good to me.

Kale - I guess.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Back to the Mexican market where you should be able to find powdered smoked chipotle chilis. They are also available whole and dried. Making your own smoked peppers is a pain. You have to get the temp high enough to dry them out but not hot enough to cook them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This smoked pepper should be at the spice shop, also. I could wait for Trader Joe's until I have some kale to go with the chorizo. Getting my priorities right . . .

One of those priorities would be whether to attempt smoking anything. Might be, just like everything, a matter of timing. I'd be smoking sweet peppers as an addition to barbeque sauce. Of course, that chipotle should be a good idea for some beef breakfast sausage.

Now, which ethnic group has beef breakfast sausage in their stores? Oh well, I know I can make that easy enough.

There is supposed to be a smoked paprika on the soopermarket shelf. Just trying for the smoke flavor in the bbq sauce. Sauce/sausage/perennial soup - must be some a "life's lesson" here somewhere!
Steve ;)
My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already. ~ Dave Berry

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, why wait when you want a good, easy to make pizza? :drool

Trader Joe's has all of the ingredients that you need. They have regular and whole wheat pizza dough already made for $1.19. They also have the manchego cheese, spanish chorizo, and the kale. Kale is pretty inexpensive also.

Here is the recipe to entice you!

Kale, Chorizo, and Manchego Pizza

1 bag (10oz.) chopped kale
1 lb. pizza dough
1 cup shredded manchego cheese
4 oz. Spanish-style (hard) chorizo, casing removed and thinly sliced.
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil

1.Preheat oven to 500°

2. Bring water to boil and add kale and cook for 3 min. till tender.

3. Roll dough on floured surface into a 14-in. circle, letting it rest a few seconds between passes of the rolling pin so it will stretch. Lay dough a a floured baking sheet.

4. Sprinkle dough with manchego, chorizo, and kale. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

5. Bake until browned and puffed, 10-13 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil.

Mary (who's proud that she can use the "degree" symbol! and underline!)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh boy, Mary!

That's great! Seedcorn should see this, too!

I just need you to do all the heavy lifting for me :).

Steve

1305013844_gifki_07.gif

Latest posts