A Perennial Kale

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Steve, but my first thought was of my grandson (18YO) getting hurt . . . again.

Back to KALE. I've read, but rather skipped over most of what has been written since I haven't grown it. Last night my BFF asked me for the best king of kale to grow. Her's "gets too woody."

Since I have no knowledge or idea of what it should grow or taste like, I'm asking for your advice.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can still remember my tracks going out thru the hip deep snow to collect kale when I 1st grew it, Red.

It was about 50' from my kitchen door to my garden gate . . . then, I had it growing at the other end of my 150' garden! I was a young guy then but I never grew it again for a long time. I think I probably was still harvesting with some kind of a "cut & come again" thought in mind.

These days, as soon as the leaf looks like it is going from that light green to its mature color, I harvest it. If it is left on the plant, as soon as it begins to look a tired, I break it off and it can go for mulch. The plants look like little palm trees in a few weeks!

Get the leaves while they are young and tender. You know, I've grown kale for a few years again but I'm still not sure I remember what they were like after real hard frost. That was, at least, the olde advice on kale harvesting. These days, they have been cleared out of the garden by then.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those mature leaves also make excellent chicken fodder. Some of mine got an aphid infestation which the chickens considered better than dessert.
The goats and little-horse like it too. This year I'm going to grow lots more so the animals will have plenty.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
smart red, my son works at a restuarant where they make a kale salad. My son says they massage the leaves to make them more pliable.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife must have bought the kind you need meat tenderizer on! Tougher than leather.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, I thought about you as I wrote the post! At least you weren't too hard on me. There is no aspirin involved. Ha!

Actually they only have line cooks. :)

seedcorn, you need to make that pizza!

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of the different greens I cook before I eat them, spinach (well sometimes raw for spinach), beet greens, chard, and kale, kale takes the longest to cook. I usually let it boil for six minutes before I even start checking to see if it is done. They all have their own unique flavor and kale can be fairly strong, but it's a good strong to me. Beet greens are stronger to me.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, I thought about you as I wrote the post! At least you weren't too hard on me. There is no aspirin involved. Ha!

Actually they only have line cooks. :)

seedcorn, you need to make that pizza!

Mary
Sorry Mary...

intelligent donkey.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . .
These days, as soon as the leaf looks like it is going from that light green to its mature color, I harvest it. If it is left on the plant, as soon as it begins to look a tired, I break it off and it can go for mulch. The plants look like little palm trees in a few weeks!

Get the leaves while they are young and tender. . . . Steve

Thank you, all. That much I did glean from this discussion on kale.

I told her the leaves should be picked when young and tender. If her's were woody she wasn't getting out there often enough.

More I learned. Which should I suggest she try? The turnip or chard related kale? See, I read and learn just in case I want to try some kale in the future.