A perennial rice has been invented

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I read the article and was pleased that its not so labor intensive. But one still needs to replant. I would liken it to alfalfa were you can get three crops or so, before replanting.
Would it be good to have planned senescence because once loose it might clog marshlands or something worse?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I read the article and was pleased that its not so labor intensive. But one still needs to replant. I would liken it to alfalfa were you can get three crops or so, before replanting.
You don't Have to replant alfalfa. The older it gets, the thicker the stems that grow, even if often harvested. so, a 3 year old field pushes it.
Only cattle can handle stemmy hay, so usually it is tilled into the soil for a heavy feeder crop after it.
My hay man, before I moved, was selling me awful and old alfalfa bales, and one year all of my horses lost a LOT of weight. You can see, on my thread, that my current herd is nicely padded.
This year's hay has some stems I would rather not see, but still, everybody's doing fine.
I haver begun counting flakes, to be sure that I don't run out.
Hay guys stacked a little bit wrong, though I would NEVER TELL THEM SO!!
The bottom bales to the south of my catrwalk to the shelter manger is partially blocked and it makes it harder to through flakes into the manger.
I have moved most of them to another part of the loft. I only have 7 more to go.
Goota save my strength for stall cleaning. By the weekend this problem will be fixed.
I think that there is better future in selling invasive plants to be processed for animal fodder than for human consumption.
But, most of us like rice.
Remember about 8 years ago or so, when the news reported a rice shortage? I know people who DIDN'T eat rice, but they stocked up on it, anyway!

Last edited:

Latest posts