A Seed Saver's Garden 2021

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not sure what is so racy about Meerbarbe but the translator for german puts it as mullet. which doesn't seem so odd or strange or ... :)

what would keep you from a future seed swap? the crud was just starting up for the last one i attended which was where i met @Bluejay77 and @Zeedman. it is scheduled for this coming late winter so i will probably go as by then i hope this crud is mostly circulated and people are vaccinated and such. i guess we'll see what happens there.

heirloomgal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i'm not sure what is so racy about Meerbarbe but the translator for german puts it as mullet. which doesn't seem so odd or strange or ... :)

what would keep you from a future seed swap? the crud was just starting up for the last one i attended which was where i met @Bluejay77 and @Zeedman. it is scheduled for this coming late winter so i will probably go as by then i hope this crud is mostly circulated and people are vaccinated and such. i guess we'll see what happens there.
I wasn't referring to Meerbarbe flowerbug 🤣, I meant Sacre Bleu the French name. In French the profanities all tend to involve church references, not like in english with the physiology process references. The expression Sacre bleu is up there with tabernacle and sacrifice, which are 'no-no' words. At least, they were when I was a kid.

Yeah, my days of seed swaps are probably over as a result of the venues in which they have been held. Vaccine passports are coming into effect this month, and while they won't affect my day to day life, they will likely prevent me from attending events such as Seedy Saturday.

heirloomgal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's a lovely time of year. 🍃🍂🌂
20210917_122710.jpg

The last things to finish out there now are pole beans, soybeans, sesame and the radish pods. There are some peppers yet to mature but I'm not sure they'll get to turn red. Time will tell with those. At least they can still be used green, and I have neighbours who like them green. Have finally got all the drying flats full of pods (which have taken over the house!) shelled, put into paper bags and alphabeticalized. Not sure just how many of anything I grew since I had some extra garden space in the end, and put a bunch more stuff in unexpectedly. It'll be fun to tally all that up.

Have been stripping various pole beans every day of their leaves. Nice to see the pod set underneath which is remarkably well hidden by the leaf canopy. It does seem to hurry the beans along. Going out and looking at all those not yet mature pods feels a bit like staring at a wrapped gift you're not supposed to open yet. Patience, I guess. ⏳

Took a couple photos of my latest stripped poles. Some I've harvested a great deal from already, and some I've only just begun or not begun yet.

Landfrauen
20210917_124514.jpg

Graines de Cafe
20210917_123930.jpg

1,500 Year Old Cave
20210917_122905.jpg

Fawcett's Pole
20210917_123200.jpg

Rio Zape
20210917_123044.jpg

Meerbarbe - the bean that just won't stop! 🔹
20210917_123315.jpg

Grandma Gina's
I've never seen a pod like this in my life. It's wide AND long, just enormous. Piekny Jas pod is not even this large. I really hope it matures in time! 😨 This looks like an excellent fresh eating bean. Like eating two asparagus spears in one bean.
20210917_123434.jpg

Giele Waldbeantsje
I grew this one alongside Fruhe Goldbohne & Shirolustruca Kovina to see if in the end they were all the same, to the eye anyway. While FG and SK seem identical, GW is totally different. The colour is beyond fluorescent greenish yellow, it's like an industrial highlighter. Doesn't look real, DD says they look painted. The other two are a bright yellow for sure, but this one is so bright it verges on lime green. Another special & rare bean for the ark. What a blessing of wonderful bean types for this year. 💚
20210917_122847.jpg

Soybean Hokkaido Black. Took forever to make pods, but we're closing in now.
20210917_122948.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts