A Seed Saver's Garden

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
These seeds grow pretty flowers, right?
Well, I guess it's a personal taste thing. I love them, but not everyone does as the flowers are very long and drooping in clusters. But the plants are huge and stately, the leaves are enormous like banana leaves. Grows to nearly 6feet for me. It's a unique specimen for sure! I posted pictures somewhere on this thread of them.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mice. 😠

They stripped my 2 last pea patches in the past 2 days. Looks like Novella and Mega will not produce much seed. Oh well, I guess it goes like that sometimes.

The White African sorghum is ACTUALLY MAKING SEED HEADS! I thought they would fail to get to seed. I guess whether they actually mature or not could be a different story. They are super tall, 10 feet at least. They'll make some dramatic decorations for sure this autumn.
20220827_181419.jpg

Watermelons are sizing up a bit, weather is cooling down though. Fingers crossed.
20220827_181501.jpg

Nigella flower. Second try at these, and still have not gotten much success.
20220827_182245.jpg

Some of the tomatoes harvested.

May''s Green Pineapple
20220827_172038.jpg

Orange Mennonite
20220827_171633.jpg

Karma Pink
20220827_171301.jpg

Chittenango
20220827_170427.jpg

Power's Heirloom

20220827_165704.jpg

Verdal
20220827_170105.jpg

20220827_165955.jpg

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman I'm wondering what the signs are for readiness on the Liso Calcutta's, regarding the seeds? The look quite round now, like pufferfish and are fairly light coloured. The vines haven't died, but they may not need to?
Like cucumbers (to which they are closely related) Liso Calcutta gherkins need to go well beyond usage stage for seed saving. Fruits saved for seed should be left on the vines as long as possible, or until they show signs of decay. They will turn yellowish-green when fully ripe. As I do when saving any "wet" seed, I allow the fruits to ripen further after picking, at least another 2-3 weeks. This allows the seed to continue fattening up, and increases viability.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Like cucumbers (to which they are closely related) Liso Calcutta gherkins need to go well beyond usage stage for seed saving. Fruits saved for seed should be left on the vines as long as possible, or until they show signs of decay. They will turn yellowish-green when fully ripe. As I do when saving any "wet" seed, I allow the fruits to ripen further after picking, at least another 2-3 weeks. This allows the seed to continue fattening up, and increases viability.
Oh, and the gherkins don't contain enough juice on their own for fermentation. I had to add juice from ripe cucumbers to ferment the seeds. It helps to allow the gherkins to cure until they begin to soften.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Decisions. It's going to rain again tomorrow for 24, possibly 48 hours. My (pop)corn is looking 'not dried up'. Plants are still quite green and leafy. Wonder if I should pull it or leave it in to absorb all the rain, which may not be great for drying cobs? I couldn't help myself and peeled a cob back to see where it's at. Have never grown corn like this before, taking SO long. Kernels seemed very hard, though not fully darkened up with colour. Not sure what to do. Bugs are starting under the first husk layer too. Judging by this one, it's not affecting the cob though.

Don't want to lose all my cobs!
20220828_171344.jpg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mice. 😠

They stripped my 2 last pea patches in the past 2 days. Looks like Novella and Mega will not produce much seed. Oh well, I guess it goes like that sometimes.

The White African sorghum is ACTUALLY MAKING SEED HEADS! I thought they would fail to get to seed. I guess whether they actually mature or not could be a different story. They are super tall, 10 feet at least. They'll make some dramatic decorations for sure this autumn.
View attachment 51680

Watermelons are sizing up a bit, weather is cooling down though. Fingers crossed.
View attachment 51681

View attachment 51682

Some of the tomatoes harvested.

May''s Green Pineapple
View attachment 51683

Orange Mennonite
View attachment 51684

Karma Pink
View attachment 51685

Chittenango
View attachment 51686

Power's Heirloom

View attachment 51687

VerdalView attachment 51689
View attachment 51688
I love your colorful photos! 😍!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mice. 😠

yes, critters do present challenges. did you get any seeds at all to harvest from them?

we have a simpler version of those that wanders around the pathways and gardens in places (mostly out front now with one small patch inside the fenced veggie gardens). it grows in the crushed limestone mulch in full sun. so i wonder if perhaps those plants just need a sunnier location to do better for you? :)

Latest posts