A Seed Saver's Garden

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pepper update. So I flubbed it a little. I have a strict policy of not keeping them moist and really letting them get quite dry before giving them a proper soak, with bottom watering usually. Well, I got busy for a few days and noticed a little too late that some of the pots had gotten so dry that a few had some wilted leaves. Full size peppers seem to recover well from this when it happens, but clearly wee seedlings don't have the same strength. So a few of the leaves were damaged even after a recovery. But onwards and upwards!

The Habanadas are doing very well, the second largest seedlings behind Peruviano Arancia. I'm glad I started them this early, and I think this may be one of the better harvests I get from the hab family. It will be a good size by June. It's nearly time to start pruning.
20230213_223541.jpg

Purple Serrano is already showing it's true colors.
20230213_223622.jpg

One of the lights; lots of Zavory peppers in here, another heatless hab type.
20230213_223648.jpg

I got 'the zoomies' while visiting the Atlantic Pepper Seeds site the other day and expect to be planting many more pots now once they arrive. I can see they've been shipped so hopefully they arrive soon. @Jack Holloway's pepper seeds sort of 'got me in the mood' for pepper planting and I'm going to need another 2 greenhouses to grow them all. lol I am really looking forward to growing some of these neat peppers though. Here's a little sneak peak of the line up.

Cheiro Roxa

1676348043480.jpeg

Pink Cayenne
1676348219233.jpeg

Cappuccino Chiltepin
image-47.png

Murupi White
1676348360030.jpeg

Aji Fantasy White
51SftKffRvL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Goronong
1676348547019.jpeg

Wiri Wiri Large Yellow
1676348618685.jpeg

Shu Variegated
shu%20pepper%20(7)_JPG.jpg

Sugar Rush Stripey
1676348944622.jpeg

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure @Zeedman , but I can say this - the 1st time I grew them I managed to get 2 plants to sprout. I saved seeds from those plants and I think I got another 2 plants to sprout. 🤷‍♀️ That said, I tend to be a very early planter when it comes to peas and I've had similar troubles with Sugar Ann. They both just taste SO GOOD when you can actually get them to grow! I suspect they are both uniquely sensitive; wrinkled peas tend to be like that anyway, but these have been another level. I actually don't know why I'm even trying them for a 3rd time, I guess it's my inner terrier!
I suspect the problem with sugar snap peas is similar to the problem with super-sweet corn; less starch development, less stored energy in the seed, and poorer germination in cool soil. I'm really curious about the apparently poor storage life though, since another sugar snap that I grow ("Sugar Magnolia") does not appear to have that problem. SM also does well planted early, and provided the roots are mulched to keep them cool, is quite tolerant of Summer heat. You grow a lot more peas than I do @heirloomgal , can't remember if you've tried those... but they might do well for you. Not as sweet as some of the green podded sugar snaps, but they sure do taste good in mid-summer.
035.JPG

What I like about "Sugar Lace" though is that the short plants don't need support, and the short DTM is well suited to a late planting for Fall. I'd really like to solve the germination issue. I too have had consistently poor results, even with newly purchased seed. Maybe I'll try comparing some started as transplants vs. direct seeded, to determine whether soil or critters could be a factor.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think you're on to something here @Zeedman with the super sweetness playing a role in the compromised seed longevity. Some vegetables have been really selected toward high sugar and I don't doubt that plays a role in any number of issues. I recall a greenhouse owner telling me about his apple trees, and how here in the north the pest pressure on them is really high. He told me all the things that we love about apples, are what bugs love about them too. The more delicious we make them, the more they want them. A lot of the apple trees he sold were quite sour varieties.

I do love Sugar Magnolia! I love the purple foods. I like the extra antho nutritional qualities, and also the hardiness that comes with it. A few years ago when my kids were on greenhouse duty during spring to bring all the plant trays back into the house at night, one full tray of pepper starts was accidentally left behind. Someone eager to be done the chore no doubt! The next morning every pepper plant was toast, except the varieties that had antho expression. Those were in perfect shape. I was rather impressed by that.

The thing that boggles me about Sugar Lace II is that I see it being sold by fairly large outfits, and commercially. I see they will offer treated vs. untreated seed. You'd think if the pea made it to that level of marketing that it would not be so problematic a germinator?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal Sugar Magnolia was developed by Dr. Alan Kapuler over 14 years of work. I'm sure he selected for a quite healthy variety. Not sure who developed Sugar Lace II.
It's amazing how many fantastic pea varieties have been developed by Dr. Kapuler. It's an impressive list!

Liftoff Jack! ✈️ Shu, Super Khi, Sugar Rush Stripey, and Mattapeno are all up! Yay! 🎉

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Novartis!
This is a name which I connected with the development of pharmaceutical products so far.
I still have much to learn.
Well this is interesting @BeanieQueen. I just did a little searching and it looks like Novartis Pharmaceuticals is indeed involved with seeds and agricultural biotechnologies. Wow. I guess the Sugar Lace peas are their creation.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Novartis!
This is a name which I connected with the development of pharmaceutical products so far.
I still have much to learn.
It turns out Novartis bred 66 different vegetable varieties, all of which were patented by Syngenta... obviously some relationship between the two. Peas, beans, corn, soybeans, squash, etc. A few have names (they also bred the original Sugar Lace, patent expired) but many of their developments were obviously bred for agriculture, with only numbers as names.

Latest posts